The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The hidden assaults > Comments

The hidden assaults : Comments

By Joanna Bourke, published 10/9/2007

In bedrooms all over the country, women are still subjected to sexual violence from their spouses.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All
I'm new to this forum. I happened upon the article while researching sexual coercion in relationships and what, if any, relationship the act has to forced sex/marital rape, etc.

I see that the majority of the discussion revolves around assigning blame, name-calling, and labeling, while little is actually said about the acts under scrutiny. I care less about what label is assigned, than what each person actually considers sexual coercion. My interpretation of it includes psychological threats like being left, humiliated, financially impacted or emotionally shunned, as well as the threat of physical violence or force.

I would like to hear what everyone considers sexual coercion and what the effects of it are on relationships and emotional health.
Posted by Casstastrophe, Saturday, 22 September 2007 2:16:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sexual coercion is a two edge sword, for example a man coerces a woman for sex, or a woman witholds sex in order to get what she wants.
Posted by JamesH, Saturday, 22 September 2007 12:32:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Casstastrophe another thought that I had is "when does an attempt of seduction become coercion?"

One thing that really is apparent though is that human behaviour is extremely complicated.
Posted by JamesH, Monday, 24 September 2007 4:04:32 PM
JamesH...

Seduction becomes coercion when some form of power is used to force a person to have sex for any reason other than their own desire. It is complex, but common sense always prevails. Someone withholding sex as a bargaining tool can be a problem, but my question pertains to forcing complicity to another person's sexual demands, which is another topic entirely. You appear to want to debate on a defensive level which, while interesting, doesn't really give me the information I need. Coercion does exist. I'm looking specifically for people who have experienced coercion as I describe in the first sentence of this post. I may need to write an article that would clarify my request a bit better to get the type of response that would help me. Thanks for your reply, though.

Cass
Posted by Casstastrophe, Monday, 24 September 2007 10:30:24 PM
James H...

I'm going to immediately correct myself here. I should have checked my own question before responding to you. I did ask what people consider coercion, so I will note your response. I am, however, looking more for answers pertaining to the forcing of sex, not the withholding of it, which I believe to be another topic.

Cass
Posted by Casstastrophe, Monday, 24 September 2007 10:44:09 PM
So what is so special about sexual coercion? If we accept that such coercion is not as desirable as seduction (is every seduction always desirable, and any coercion always unwanted?), but less violent than rape (typically lacking in physical violence, but with potential for emotional violence), then why would it be any more deserving of observation or discussion, than the multitudes of coercion tactics experienced daily by married men?

Surprisingly, women also see themselves as financially coerced (presumably by real or imagined threats of withdrawal of financial support, some of which may feed into feelings of sexual coercion). Men who are more often than not, the actual victims of financial coercion, are not only denied a hearing, but are derided for it.

This could only occur in a disconnected self-centrist women’s forum, where it would appear most believe that paternity fraud is non-violent and quite OK, especially if well hidden.
Posted by Seeker, Tuesday, 25 September 2007 12:08:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy