The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our great Judeo-Christian tradition > Comments

Our great Judeo-Christian tradition : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 30/5/2007

Peter Costello seems to believe that the Judeo-Christian tradition exclusively forms the basis of 'Australian values'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. ...
  14. 17
  15. 18
  16. 19
  17. All
I see Fellow Human is still writing 'good article' each time his fellow Muslim raves on.

What a waste of time OLO has become. The same people talking the same crap.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 31 May 2007 8:22:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In terms of "Australian traditions" and trying to get new migrants to understand them (a difficult task since this forum alone has differing views on what they are) can we at least factor in the traditions and history of the population that was here prior to 1788? There's far more to Australian history than what Christians, Jews or Muslims have been doing.
Posted by DavidJS, Thursday, 31 May 2007 9:48:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting posts. If judeo-christian does indeed exclude catholics, I can't help but wonder if it's really the best idea - doesn't that encourage historical feuds to continue?

Leigh - I see you lead by example. A most amusing post.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 31 May 2007 10:04:32 AM
“After all, 160 years before the First Fleet arrived, Portuguese explorer Pedro Fernandes de Queirós came across an island he presumed to be the “Great South Land”, “

Yet they did not settle it.

If the history of Spanish and Portuguese colonialism in South America is any guide, a dam good job they did not. One thing is true, whilst the process of colonialism might offend many, the history of British colonialism has left a far better outcomes than the colonial practices of other colonial nations, Portugal in particular.

Had Australia been settled by Portuguese, the Australian economy would probably be a basket case run by a bunch of recently reformed slavers with communist extremist running around feeding off the dissent of oppressed peasants.

Similarly, had Australia been colonised by Arabs, we would probably be Islamists with 16th century social values and oppressed women. Social services and parliamentary democracy would not exist, just a bunch of warring tribes casting Machiavellian plots against one another.

Costello is right and the loon who wrote this article just don’t “get it”.

Maybe if he were of a Judeo-Christian background, blessed with an English history of religious and social tolerance (for the past 300 years), benevolent colonialism and a developed democracy, he would “get it”.
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 31 May 2007 10:05:59 AM
"Benevolent colonialism"?! Tell that to the indigenous population of Australia. Like non-British examples of colonial occupation, the colonial regime established here was a military regime which shot its way into power. The regime regarded the locals as sub-human. No different to the Spanish in Caribbean. Or the English in the Caribbean for that matter. And like the Spanish, the British had a lively slave trade up until the 19th Century. The late 19th century if you include indentured labourers to Queensland sugar fields from the Pacific.

Uganda, Zimbabwe, Iraq and Burma are also former British possessions. Great examples they are of the benefits of British rule.

As for this "Judeo-Christian" malarky, if you called a West Bank settler "Judeo-Christian" you wouldn't last very long. It's nonsense term used by Christians to co-opt the Jewish tradition for political purposes. The more I hear from the Coalition Government and their version of Australian history the more convinced I am of their ignorance.
Posted by DavidJS, Thursday, 31 May 2007 1:41:01 PM
I’ve enjoyed many of the comments in this thread almost as much as the original post. There’s nothing like a lively discussion thread for a bit of lunchtime entertainment!

Rhian, I found the clarity of your comments very helpful in sorting out some of my muddled thinking; thank you.

AnthonyMarinac, any thread with the slightest hint of a religious connection seems to bring out the “my faith is better than your faith” pissing contest you mentioned. It also draws out the “fundamentalist secularists” who repeat their “all religion is stupid” mantra ad infinitum, but who can’t seem to leave religious threads alone. Maybe there’s a basic human need to feel superior to somebody.

TurnRightThenLeft, too true, the term judeo-christian as used by many does exclude Catholic Christians (as well as Orthodox, Maronite, etc). Back when I was an undergraduate (15-20 years ago) it seemed to be used as an alternative term for “patriarchal capitalism” and thus considered the root of all evil (which really got my goat, because at the time I was a fundamentalist born-again Christian).

Jpw2040, thanks for that background info, it explains why I couldn’t find these citizenship test questions on any official government site. I wonder if these possible questions are being “leaked” to gauge community response.

Bugsy – the great god Tuggeranong – ha! My favourite post so far!

And of course BOAZ_David; I was wondering when you’d show up ;-)

Cheers!
Posted by Rhys Probert, Thursday, 31 May 2007 2:02:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11