The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our great Judeo-Christian tradition > Comments

Our great Judeo-Christian tradition : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 30/5/2007

Peter Costello seems to believe that the Judeo-Christian tradition exclusively forms the basis of 'Australian values'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. ...
  14. 17
  15. 18
  16. 19
  17. All
Ryhs... I did poke my nose in with a tentative 'boo' :) but held back until things got going.

Peachy.. my audio is dead mate.. cannot hear what they are saying.. please summarize in 3 simple points what the vid is saying ?

In anycase, I'd be referring you to the founder and foundation documents. Christ and the New Testament for the guide on the matter of 'arn't they all the same' kind of thing.

Pericles.. there you go again.. trying to hyper analyse.
350 words mate.. not much room for repeating facts I've offered ad nauseum.

Peachy..I'd refer you to the dicussion/posts in "Mohammad was a" thread, and look closely at how ABCD portrays the outright murder of a Jew. Its quite revealing about his mindset, and is ENTIRELY consistent with:
a) Mohammads character.
b) Mohammads actions.
c) Islamic thinking.

"Murder an enemy of Islam while he is sleeping" ?...."so what" (abcd)

Peachy.. you better put a Crescent flag in your window and double lock the doors. We would not want ABCD to mistake you for an 'enemy of Islam' eh :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 1 June 2007 7:10:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz, more ducking and weaving, I notice.

>>Pericles.. there you go again.. trying to hyper analyse.
350 words mate.. not much room for repeating facts I've offered ad nauseum<<

Just because you repeat stuff "ad nauseam" (accurate description, by the way) doesn't turn them into "facts".

Mine was not in any way a "hyperanalysis". It simply stripped away the verbiage from your long list of "lemmings", to expose them as no more factual than the tooth fairy.

But I know how much you hate that, and pretend that it hasn't happened.

Is it my imagination, or are your "arguments" getting just a little bit desperate?

>>Peachy.. you better put a Crescent flag in your window and double lock the doors. We would not want ABCD to mistake you for an 'enemy of Islam' eh :)<<

Coming hot on the heels of your comparing ABCD to the murderer of Theo van Gogh on another thread, I'd suggest that you are getting extremely close to the boundaries of good taste here, Boaz.

Sad.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 1 June 2007 10:06:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Crescent flag was originally a Byzantine Christian symbol. Then again, I guess B_D regards orthodox Christians as infidels ...
Posted by Irfan, Friday, 1 June 2007 10:49:22 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pegasus puts it succintly. No Irfan, the First fleet wasn't chocka with Jews and Muslims. It was chocka with poor white trash by Pom standards back then Poor people who committed minor infractions to gain a one way trip to Oz. Bit like sending the refugess to the US isn't it?

And Catholics? Well Irfan they are actually Christian, much to their shame but they are.

Chinese were here early. Certainly, they were the first after the Fleet etc and of course the owners, aboriginals.

As to TRTL's request for "reasons". The article is based on lies mate. Check the passenger lists. Find me some Muslims there please.

As Pegasus and Leigh indicated. Absolute tripe.

Irfan as usual inventing and rewriting his own fantasies for the sake of stirring people who "believe". Put it in the bin Irfan, it's untidy.
Posted by DavoP, Friday, 1 June 2007 1:35:58 PM
Well said Arjay. How is it so many still need to believe in God? Our society, and most, are based mostly on fiction. God looks after us. Get real. A curse indeed Arjay, but I suppose the curse is a "sin" or some other major crime in their world.
Posted by DavoP, Friday, 1 June 2007 1:57:52 PM
Hi TurnRightTurnLeft – Sorry I didn’t reply to your post earlier; OLO has become limited to a lunchtime activity for me lately.

No, I don’t mind telling you how I become a “lapsed” Christian. Quite the contrary, because it gives me an excuse to talk about myself!

It was a combination of a number of factors; there wasn’t any single moment of blinding insight when the scales fell from my eyes. Doubts first started in my mind with theological problems, such as free will, original sin, divine justice and the problem of evil. These of course can all be explained away, but they started me thinking.

Then I started having problems with the idea that the Bible was inerrant and had to be read literally. The scientific evidence of evolution, plus some archaeological stuff I came across which suggested that most of the Old Testament history was incorrect, provided fertilizer for the doubts that were already starting to grow. Ironically, I had started looking at this evidence in order to find things to SUPPORT my faith!

The behaviour and attitudes of my fellow Christians also bothered me. Although I knew (and still know) many genuine and wonderful Christians, there were also…the others. The single-mindedness of many of them was astonishing; eg “helping those in need isn’t our job, Christians are meant to be Evangelising”, or when reviewing a book “this book by John Stott is ok, but he doesn’t talk enough about Evangelism”.

And finally, there was the personal aspect. I just felt like I was knocking on a door and no-one was answering; I was seeking something that couldn’t be found. So I concluded that all along I had been vainly chasing the wind, and became an agnostic.

Th moral of the story is - if you're a Cristian and you want to stay that way, don't think too much!

Cheers!

PS the reason I didn’t become an atheist is because I met too many atheists who showed exactly the same blinkered attitude that had so irked me among the fundamentalist evangelicals.
Posted by Rhys Probert, Friday, 1 June 2007 2:02:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14