The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our great Judeo-Christian tradition > Comments

Our great Judeo-Christian tradition : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 30/5/2007

Peter Costello seems to believe that the Judeo-Christian tradition exclusively forms the basis of 'Australian values'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. 19
  14. All
GordonD – the term long predates the current anti-Islamic right-wing uses and is historically associated with leftish or multiculturalist attempts to assert a commonality of tradition between the two faiths, and broader origins to the religious influence on western culture than Christianity alone. Check out wikipedia for the history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judeo-Christian

Of all the reasons to question the use of the term I find yours – attacking Jews and Judaism – the least persuasive. Jesus’ principles of loving the enemy and turning the other cheek were Jewish. That’s why the term Judeo-Christian is appropriate to the actions of those who follow his teaching
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 30 May 2007 4:24:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Bugsy,

I would hazard a guess that Tuggeranong is the god of Waugh!

Cheers to all belief systems. I believe I'm going to have a beer!
Posted by Reynard, Wednesday, 30 May 2007 4:37:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*BOO* :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 30 May 2007 4:40:14 PM
Just give me the Sermon on the Mount I learnt as a little kid. Seems to say it all - some even say Socrates could have written it, but he never wrote, but he certainly had plenty to say, leaving Plato to write about it, and all.

I,ve even been called a Communist for using the Sermon's principles. Well, its been said Christ could have been a Commo, well if he really could have been, what's he going to do with Bush and the End Day's mob seein' they're sure about Him coming back?
Posted by bushbred, Wednesday, 30 May 2007 5:23:47 PM
The points about keeping religion and citizenship separate are great, but nobody seems to be acknowledging the elephant in the room.

The set of citizenship questions which were "released" a couple of weeks ago were just a piece of kite-flying by persons unknown. The government may be intending to implement similar questions (or worse), but they have distanced themselves from the particular set which included the question Irfan quotes:

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/sit-the-test-until-you-pass-andrews/20073918-djn.html

Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Posted by jpw2040, Wednesday, 30 May 2007 5:25:56 PM
If any Christian or Jew had written a similar article with a reverse slant making other religions equal to Islam,they would be quickly dispatched.

Religion is a curse born of our own insecurities and weakness.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 30 May 2007 6:45:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 17
  12. 18