The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our great Judeo-Christian tradition > Comments

Our great Judeo-Christian tradition : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 30/5/2007

Peter Costello seems to believe that the Judeo-Christian tradition exclusively forms the basis of 'Australian values'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. ...
  14. 17
  15. 18
  16. 19
  17. All
DavidJS I would note of the four examples of ex colonies you give three were all handed over after democratic elections for government.

The fourth , Zimbawbe was declared a sovereign state by Ian Smith’s UDI government, which , despite sanctions, ran the state effectively and prosperously until 1980, when yielding to world pressure, he capitulated and following democratic elections, Mugabe came to power.

That Mugabe took a vibrant and functioning country with a healthy economy and turned it into a charnel house of economic incompetence and murder is the best reason for suggesting that those countries you name might all be better off had they remained British Colonies.

Doubtless, were you God (in place of Judeo-Christian values) or had any authority or real insight, you would have ordered them to behave differently; but you aren’t and you haven’t.

As for “The more I hear from the Coalition Government and their version of Australian history the more convinced I am of their ignorance”

Really, so regale us with your insight, your profound lack of ignorance, I could do with a good larff on a slow Thursday afternoon.
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 31 May 2007 2:47:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Geez I dunno BOAZ_David, there are plenty of striking similarities with the religions u so fervently distinguish. If you have the time watch this video http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-8251447278663885234&sourceid=zeitgeist
'The Naked Truth by Jordan Maxwell'
and prove to me otherwise...
Posted by peachy, Thursday, 31 May 2007 3:39:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhys Probert - I find it rather interesting in your post you mentioned you used to be a born again Christian - I can't help but wonder what changed your mind - sometimes it seems to me that many of the most devout christians are simply the ones who have inoculated their beliefs against other ideologies, but I suppose that goes for fundamentalists of all stripes.

If it's too much of a personal question then don't worry of course, but I sometimes wonder if the answer to many of the world's current problems lies with those who've repudiated a fundamentalist view...
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 31 May 2007 4:31:56 PM
It would seem that, in Malaysia, religion is an accident of birth and something you cannot change, unless you wish to convert to Islam of course.
There is a great deal in our way of doing things that could be improved but at least we are free to be what we want to be...and that is something we should surely endeavour to retain
Posted by Communicat, Thursday, 31 May 2007 5:01:23 PM
Your approach to discussion on these threads is consistent, Boaz, but even so, cannot go unchallenged.

Apparently, the observations of those who disagree with you "look a bit silly when subjected to truth and fact"

Remember those words. "... subjected to truth and fact".

Now, where were we?

>>“religious intolerance has been the primary cause of most wars” Response.. READ HISTORY
-Megalomania, Greed, Trade disputes, Territory<<

Well, it is an opinion, sure, but you haven't presented any "truth and fact", have you?

I would also suggest that we could add "religious intolerance has been the primary cause of most terrorist activity" to the charge.

>>"We just need to develop respect for All beliefs without developing into a race of religious Zealots" Response- Clearly you have yet to meet a Mr Dawkins...zealot ? nah :) “Make It Up As You Go” is the alternative to religious tradition.

No. "Make it up as you go" is an invention of yours that purports to prove that every non-Christian supports paedophilia. No "truth and fact" there, then.

>>“God was simply a symbol created to control the people of that time”
No response from you, interestingly, just an exhortation to read a religious text. Which, of course, is totally unbiased on the matter.

>>“Religion is a curse born of our own insecurities and weakness”
No response again, just bluster.

>>“As for the rest - it's all spin - obsolete and fearful strategies to control the masses!”
Really? Lets test that....John 6<<

The reference was, as you know, to organized religion, and nothing to do with John 6.

>>"Let's face it, there's not a lot of difference between the Jewish, Christian and Islamic traditions."
[your response] Its re-education thread for you also<<

Again, no response, just waffle.

Sorry - where is that "truth and fact" again?

>>Guys.. PUH-lease avoid saying things which make you look like a mindless lemming following the crowd.. it has the impact of making you look a bit silly when subjected to truth and fact.<<

Back atcha.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 31 May 2007 7:35:09 PM
Irfan said: "Muslims generally don't drink". Well, we can be thankful of that.
Posted by Snappy Tom, Thursday, 31 May 2007 10:09:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12