The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our great Judeo-Christian tradition > Comments

Our great Judeo-Christian tradition : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 30/5/2007

Peter Costello seems to believe that the Judeo-Christian tradition exclusively forms the basis of 'Australian values'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...
  13. 17
  14. 18
  15. 19
  16. All
The following video contrasts beautifully the difference in attitude between a secular/Christian ethos and the Islamic mindset;

'Wife Beating in Islam - More Rules'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hcQTmcgkKA&mode=related&search=

(Someone tell me he's not the Mufti of Egypt and it's all a sham. Please!)
Posted by TR, Wednesday, 30 May 2007 10:32:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TR, the reported incidents of domestic violence across NSW have increased by around 50% over the past 7 years. The major cause of these incidents is over-consumption of alcohol and illicit drugs.

The Muslim population in NSW hasn't increased by 50%. Muslims generally don't drink.

Please explain?
Posted by Irfan, Thursday, 31 May 2007 12:16:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The point is, Irfan, that wife beating in the West is socially reprehensible and prohibited, whereas it seems that in Islam it is perfectly acceptable, even recommended.
What part don't you understand?
Posted by Froggie, Thursday, 31 May 2007 6:57:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TR

Before you start jumping over people of the Islamic Faith, have a look at the level of Domestic Violence in this country. In particular that which is directed towards Women by men who are not of the Islamic Faith.

Let those who are without sin cast the first stone.

As with all religions you will find extremist. Why do you think most wars are started, all in the name of Religion.
Posted by southerner, Thursday, 31 May 2007 7:14:43 AM
Myyyyy My... what a lot of myths, and lemmings :) No offense, but lemmings just follow the ‘media’ (i.e. the lead lemming) and rush headlong over the cliff.

Has all my work been in vain?

Guys.. PUH-lease avoid saying things which make you look like a mindless lemming following the crowd.. it has the impact of making you look a bit silly when subjected to truth and fact.

The following observations are mean’t to be a warm hearted dig at you blokes.

Lemming1_Southerner
“religious intolerance has been the primary cause of most wars” Response.. READ HISTORY
-Megalomania, Greed, Trade disputes, Territory.

Lemming2_Maracas
“The sooner we shed the mantle of Judeo-Christian myth and get down to REAL secular government the better.We just need to develop respect for All beliefs without developing into a race of religious Zealots”
Response-Clearly you have yet to meet a Mr Dawkins...zealot ? nah :) “Make It Up As You Go” is the alternative to religious tradition. As they say, aim at nothing and you’ll hit it.

Lemming3_Daniel_21
“God was simply a symbol created to control the people of that time” (next time you pick up the Bible.. actually read it. I challenge you to support that comment from the founding History of Israel :)

Lemming4_Arjay
“Religion is a curse born of our own insecurities and weakness” * ouch * back to re-education thread for you old boy :)

Lemming5_Dickei
“As for the rest - it's all spin - obsolete and fearful strategies to control the masses!”
Really? Lets test that....John 6
v60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"
v66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.
Yep...thats it.. “control the masses”

MEGA_Lemming_6 TR
Let's face it, there's not a lot of difference between the Jewish, Christian and Islamic traditions.

Its re-education thread for you also :) ur a worry matey.

Jewish and Islamic “Similarities exist-legal side” Christian.. nothing like them.

CONCLUSION
The only way to bolster our ‘JudaoChristian’ traditions is national repentance.. not legislation.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 31 May 2007 7:51:16 AM
Can I ask how this turned into a "my faith is better than your faith" pissing contest?

I thought Irfan's idea in writing the piece was that the citizenship test shouldn't pin our cultural values on one religion or creed to the exclusion of the others. In other words, the citizenship test, if such a stupid thing should need to exist anyway, should in itself be as open and tolerant and exclusive as we hope Australia might be.

A thread which has degenerated into christians, atheists, secularists, muslims and others defending their own creeds while attacking the alternatives, is just about the antithesis of the tolerance I thought Irfan was calling for.

A
Posted by AnthonyMarinac, Thursday, 31 May 2007 8:08:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...