The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A bigger storm is brewing > Comments

A bigger storm is brewing : Comments

By John Stone, published 21/11/2006

Media elites are in a frenzy over climate change while ignoring the real challenge.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Article from the Pompeii Times:

Sir, I am just about sick and tired of all these prognostications from amateur vulcanologists.

Unless the problem of the supply of barbarians for the Colusseum is addressed, there could well be seismic shifts in society.

Ask yourself: Do you want to clean your own villa, draw your own water, empty your own toilet?

The preoccupation with the (temporary) rumblings of Vesuvius has unhealthy ramifications for the very foundations of the Empire itself. Unless we make a serious effort to address our priorities, we will be buried under the burden of having to peel our own grapes.

- see if we don't.
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Tuesday, 21 November 2006 9:51:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This guy is a bit like David Flint - yearning for the kind of exposure they got in their hay day.

Now even an economist is on the "Everything is rooten about Islam" Band wagon - personally I give it about 18 months - two years tops - Now that Blair is backing off Iraq so to will he start to recant the mantra I think he started about a fight for civilisation rather than a clash of civilisations or something like that.

Bush will go on the back slide and John will follow - there will remain a rump of resentment regarding muslims.

What once was a war that will last a thousand years will be relegated to a footnote to history (not nearly enough people dead to warrant much else) - or maybe and appendix listed under "Dumb decisions of the 21st Century" it will accompanied by a photo of the Coalition of the Willing and the Fox News logo.
Posted by sneekeepete, Tuesday, 21 November 2006 9:52:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah foolish pride .... what glorious ratbaggery, the stuff that makes us nostalgic for the days of yore ....

The good thing about this megalomanic ranting, is that it puts the likes of other narcissists into a bit of perspective: compared to this bloke, Gough, Mal, Hawkie, PK et al just look like harmless, rational egotists!
Posted by Dan Fitzpatrick, Tuesday, 21 November 2006 10:19:13 AM
This article reflects less on John Stone and more on the editorial nutcases at The Oz who would even allow this tripe to be printed. Then again, similar stuff appears in Fairfax (though less frequently).

John Stone should stick to selling the "Joh for PM" campaign. He should leave sectarianism to a pair of Sydney Archbishops ...
Posted by Irfan, Tuesday, 21 November 2006 10:33:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John, here are two alternative things to ponder on.

First: take a look at Malaysia, whose wealth is growing steadily, and where Muslim fundamentalists are not strong. See any connection?

Second: the probability of being killed on the Australian roads is astronomically higher than being killed in Australia by a 'terris'. Yet the government is not throwing bucketfuls of money at road safety. See any problem?

You seem to me to simplify everything to the point of absurdity.
Posted by Don Aitkin, Tuesday, 21 November 2006 11:00:07 AM
An interesting article.

I think describing the Muslims in Australia as the “Muslim problem” is a bit much but he is on the right path to speaking a truth. Today when saying that if you are an Australian and you die in a politically motivated attack there will be a 95% chance that Islam will be the reason behind the attack. Never in Australia’s history has there been such a threat from people with in our own community. All these new immigrants don’t see what the fuss is about and I tell them to go and find out why Australia was once (not any more) called the lucky country.

I don’t know about climate change I think we should be taking an each way bet on it especially seeing that China and India are doing almost nothing to fix this “problem”
Posted by EasyTimes, Tuesday, 21 November 2006 11:10:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy