The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Talk of a failed state is not accurate > Comments

Talk of a failed state is not accurate : Comments

By Minh Nguyen, published 26/6/2006

Labelling East Timor a 'failed state' and linking this status to international terrorism and crime is unhelpful.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I agree with the author totally, it is like receiving fresh air, when i read honest observations about such an important issue which effects so many human beings who are really stuggling against poverty of all kinds.
Leigh seems to be a fan of Gerard Henderson, i am not, as Henderson is a true blue conservative.
The Prime Minister of East Timor became an enemy of the Howard government, when he was fighting for a fair deal for his country, re the gas and oil resources in the seas close to East Timor.
Howard snubbed International Law and the people of East Timor by robbing them of millions of dollars, which would have helped with the welfare and future of the citizens of East Timor. Howard was less than charitable and showed contempt and arrogance toward the people, who needed the money more than Howard's National interest for Australia.
Congressmen in the USA made comment about Howard's theft at the time.
Howard is and was a player in the current crisis for the people of East Timor, due to his burglary and failure to recognise the needs and aspirations of an already traumatised people, in beginning a new place for themselves among other free citizens of the world.
Howard has shown once again that he is not a people person, he is a patsy for bullies and greedy corporates, more powerful than he, himself, and his selfish aspirations to impress them, and be more like them in every way.
Failed State is an oxymoron. Failed people is more close to the truth.
Posted by Sarah10, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 10:03:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sarah10

You are correct (in your bland idealism that is).

It is not Australia's legitimate national interests and genuine concern for East Timor's tentative steps towards stable government that are the problems. Its Mr Howard (the meany!) personally picking on those unfortunate East Timorese.

Its right that you point should out that US Congressmen have been critical. What higher authority do we Australians need?

I'm glad Australia's inexperienced "idealistas" have found their Venezuela of the South Seas (a good third world Latin cause at last! Well almost).

Unfortunatunately its left to experienced parts of the Australian Government to assist East Timor towards responsibility, again.

East Timor can play the GUILT CARD and BLAME Australia for its growing pains. As I've said before if East Timor doesn't grow up Australia may need to take Indonesia's territorial claims to this former Portugese colony more seriously...

Then you could shift your blame from Australia and (bad, bad) Mr Howard somewhere else.

Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 11:49:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sarah
Take heart as an idealist you have nothing to concern yourself with views from a medieval royalist and other cynics
I have been supporting East Timorese Independence since 1974 when the bloodless coup took over from the ruling Portuguese Fascists.
I first became aware of the Maubere peoples quest for Independence in 1975 when I witnessed the 1st anniversary celebrations of the founding of Fretilin on 20th May 1975 when upwards of 150 thousand demonstrated their overwhelming support for Fretilin policies.
The elites who formed the UDT staged their first Coup attempt in August 1975 because they feared they would lose a democratic election. That attempt was briefly quelled after the leaders fled across the border and sought support from Indonesia who invaded in November/December 1975.
The present destabilisation is perpetrated by the same elements who oppose Alkatiri's economic agenda of sustainable development and have moved to sieze power without facing the forthcoming election in 2007.If they get their way they will opt for plunging the country into debt to further their own ends of personal enrichment.
They are being aided and abetted by the ADF who continue to tolerate intimidation of the population by anti-Alkatiri "rent a crowd mobs" of young thugs,manipulated by government opposition
and are attempting to block pro-government supporters from entering Dili. The ADF have been politicised to the point where they are taking sides with the rebels against the democratically elected Government.
Only the blind believe that the "Charismatic Xanana Gusmao" and his friend Jose Ramos Horta (who are Australia's preferred rulers)are not part of the problem.
Their agenda of using Marxist and Communist tags is designed to smash Fretilin but make no mistake,Fretilin represent the majority of the people who are neither Marxist or Communist.
Some consider that the Alkatiri Government's agreement to accept 250 Cuban doctors to alleviate serious health problems throughout the country and establish a medical faculty in the East Timor University is an indication of their political leanings.
I reckon Australia would do well to follow their example and to hell with what he Americans think.....
Posted by maracas, Wednesday, 28 June 2006 10:27:05 AM
Maracas

"medieval royalist"?! True but only for the attractive Princess and Prince of Denmark (not Hamlet that is).

I appreciate your founding loyalty to Fretilin and your perhaps unsurpassed knowledge of that countries history and politics. If only someone from DFAT who knows more could come into bat - however I suspect that what is left in DFAT have double-barrel names, sound like Downer, and are gagged from writing on the net. So its up to centrist bloggers (with shady pasts) to state a case.

So from what you say there has been infighting between East Timorese faction since at least 1975. The right of Australia to take sides (if it is doing that) is because Australia freed East Timor from vicious Indonesian colonialism and is now providing a hefty slice (most?) of East Timor’s national income in the form of aid and assistance. You could correct me on how many Eat Timorese are physically in the oil industry from which they share (or will share) the agreed profits…

Even if Alkatiri is getting a raw deal from some of his political opponents he clearly can't handle them as a moderator and leader should. If he descends to backing a private army (or at least goon squad) like his opponents he is failing in his role as a democratic leader. Alkatiri's sacking does not automatically mean that the dreams of Fretilin and the East Timorese people are being dashed.

I know many in the ADF in all sorts of areas and in East Timor they are not acting independently of the close direction of our Government. Our Government is representing the Australian people’s legitimate interests in East Timor. To be truthful if the East Timorese weren't significantly Christian East Timor would still be part of Indonesia, oil or no oil.

If Alkatiri, and the more idealistic remnants of Fretilin, want to divest themselves of the "Marxist" tag they should not pull extraordinarily provocative stunts like agreeing to "accept 250 Cuban doctors". Before one can say "I can feel a Nicaragua coming on" Fretilin should grow up.

Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 28 June 2006 12:22:44 PM
Is it time for Mr Howard to say "we were wrong, East Timor can't govern itself"? The silent part of the statment being "we won't now stop in Indonesias way".
Posted by Siltstone, Wednesday, 28 June 2006 10:54:02 PM
An astute observer would note that the supporters of Gusmao and Horta are the ones doing the burning and looting under the protection of the ADF who appear unable to do what they were sent there for....keep the peace.
The anti-Alkatiri forces are still terrorising internal refugees who are Fretilin supporters ...What are Gusmao and Horta doing to stop them ? Can't you see the unrest is politically motivated and Horta and Gusmao are also involved ? Their motive is to achieve through a grab for power what they cannot achieve through a democratic election process. The allegations against Alkatiri have no substance.
Alkatiri has spoken to Pro Fretilin supporters and encouraged them not to enter Dili to express their support for the Democratically elected Government until the opposing 'gangs' leave, yet he is described by the captive media as inflaming further unrest !!
The biggest donor country is not Australia but Portugal. Australia has stolen East Timor's resources on the basis of an agreement that was made with Indonesia during that country's occupation of East Timor.Any financial support Australia offers is purely returning stolen asset.
No Australian Government supported Independence for East Timor. Howard did not send troops in until the TNI Militias had killed hundreds, sacked Dili and forcibly kidnapped about 150000 to West Timor.
The Alkatiri Government's decision to accept doctors from Cuba was a good decision despite the wrath of the Americans. I spoke to a minister for health last week who said he would like to have 200 doctors from Cuba.
Gusmao's enfolding agenda is to attempt to destroy Fretilin through East Vs West contrived rivalry.
Wake up Australia to what our Government is being a party to.
Posted by maracas, Wednesday, 28 June 2006 11:00:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy