The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Adept at puerile politics > Comments

Adept at puerile politics : Comments

By Ted Lapkin, published 21/2/2006

The timing, scope and focus of the Danish cartoon controversy raises suspicions this crisis owes much to cynical manipulation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
Finally a sensible analysis of the whole ridiculous affair.
Posted by rasputin_eyes, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 9:50:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree mostly with what you say.

What then of today's news that Irvine has got 3 years for denying the holocaust.
Posted by AMSADL, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 9:52:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author rightly points out the anti-semitic portrayals of Jews in Arab newspapers, but neglects to mention offensive portrayals of Arabs and Muslims in Israeli publications. He also fails to mention the offensive and racist articles appearing in a publication with which he is associated, which has published offensive puerile pieces from Muslim-hating authors like Daniel Pipes and Mark Steyn. If I were to take an average piece from a Mark Steyn article, replace the words "Muslim" with "Jew" and "Islam" with "Judaism", I'd have something that would find pride of place in a Nazi publication. Before the author castigates others, he might want to set his own house in order.
Posted by Irfan, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 10:23:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Ted – there is more than simple “reactionary influences” at work.

AMSADL – I too noted the news of David Irvine

He was also banned from entering Australia for his views.

I believe he should not have been imprisoned in Austria nor banned from visiting Australia.

Irvine is the classic reason for never denying freedom of speech.
He, like the KKK and every other extremist and organisation who preach hatred and intolerance need to be allowed to vent.

Only by their venting do the tolerant of the world get to know what has to be challenged.
Prevent the vent and you push the “cause” underground where the damage it can do is far more serious than loonies with banners (eg IRA, El Qaeda cells etc).

It is said censorship treats the sage equal with the fool and freedom of expression allows the world to measure them each from the reasoning of their utterances.

Allow the cartoonists to blaspheme (if that is what their cartoons imply).

Allow us to see Irvine for the fool he is.

Deny the zealots of intolerance the opportunity to gag anyone or risk far more serious consequences than what is, at worse, the babblings of godless imbeciles.

It is more effective for countries like Syria and Iran to exercise what amounts to democratic trade embargoes against those who offend them. It is neither appropriate nor constructive to forment idiots into states of hysteria and call for the death and martyrdom of cartoonists who offend the sentiments of the religious (and often closed) minded.
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 10:31:32 AM
Me thinks the author has sought to misrepresent broader Arab and Muslim portrayals of the cartoon debate. Whether it suits his partisan purposes or not, the author must acknowledge that a substantial number (if not the majority) of Muslims (including on this very website) have criticised & castigated the extreme reactions of a minority from Arab and Muslim majority countries. Yet this is mentioned nowhere in his article. Had the author studied a broader range of newspapers and publications, he would know religious scholars and lay Muslims condemned the violence. Instead, the author is intent on portraying all Arabs and Muslims as freedom-haters, itself a most anti-Semitic enterprise.
Posted by Irfan, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 10:35:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The main point here is that people will always find some way to divide us. What ordinary people have to do is find ways to unite us irrespective of race, creed or colour.
Posted by Desk Hermit, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 11:09:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy