The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Multiculturalism: a simple defence > Comments

Multiculturalism: a simple defence : Comments

By Keith Kennelly, published 30/1/2006

Keith Kennelly argues there are advantages for us all in multiculturalism, even after Cronulla.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. All
jkenno and Rainier,

Your love of Islam is refreshing. I've never known any other aborigines that have shown an interest in "the' faith. You are indeed free thinkers. How long do you think it will take to catch on?

Well that's about it, I'm off to buy a yellow suit four sizes too big and a Jack Johnson hat. I'm de man.
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Monday, 6 February 2006 8:03:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Everytime I think about Aborigines and (muslims)Arabs,I can't help but to hold some inner bitterness towards them.When I read stories like this (even though I know its not the right way to be):

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/no-racial-motive-for-bashing-police/2006/02/01/1138590531524.html

http://forum.mg.co.za/showthreaded.php?Number=401935
-
Alot of these folks look, and act just like europeans,yet most of the time they are the victims etc,etc , but yet still are deeply racist themselves.Only their foreign non-native europeans parents,wives,husband, can be excepted into real australians society(its what they really want)not all.Its their privilage,who knows who are the racist genocidal europeans, and who are the oppressed natives nowadays ,who can tell?.Still have alot of respect for them as humans,just don't have the compassion anymore.
Posted by Amel, Monday, 6 February 2006 8:27:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi all

Martin ibn Warriq (post 1:15:44 PM 3/2/06)
A good post.
The hyperlink is similar to other good articles about Mark DURIE - just a bit stronger.
The VCAT case # A392/2002, ICV vs CTFM is a disgrace. Judge Michael HIGGINS' "Summation" should render him incapable of fulfilling his duties. I found 27 errors on my first read - there are over 106 mistakes. On a per-page basis, that's a 75.71% failure rate by His (dis)Honour. Why can't we enact Section 72 (ii)?
(3/2/06)

Friedrich (post 1:38:28 PM 3/2/06)
No one could praise anything that Hitler did. Yes, he re-built Germany, but at a huge cost - to the approximately 20 neighbouring countries, the world generally, & his own people. In human cost it was in excess of 50-million killed & unknown millions disfigured. 6-million Jews alone died.
(3/2/06)

jkenno (post 2:27:34 PM 3/2/06)
As said to Friedrich (above reply to him) not everyone will like Mick. Some don't like me. Many who don't like him oppose his anti-drugs stance. I'd suggest that the majority 'love' him.
I haven't seen him for a while - the last time was at a function in Parliament House. He received an award. A contingent of local residents was there. His speech was very humble.
(3/2/06)

Keith (post 7:58:14 PM 4/2/06)
You sound like South Australia's Peter DANIELS. He would've made a wondeful politician - just not interested, & too wise.
(5/2/06)

All- (post 8:22:52 PM 4/2/06)
Now there's a 'new' word. But not a new concept.
Criminals are "a dime a dozen", that's why there's apathy. Whatsmore, the concentration-spance of the 'average' human is short - they forget. Who was that dingo again? Hitler? Who's he? Additionally humans (Westerners) feel disempowered. They introvertedly remain silent, whilst gathering wealth & life's pleasures.
Not so the Muslim. He's a"nationalist" within his religion. Offend Allah, Muhammad or the Muslim's brother & you offend all Muslims. Offend a "Westerner" & you often get the answer, "Well, who gives a s*t?!"
Maybe that's our problem? Lack of passion? Meanwhile, Usama has it (passion).
(5/2/06)

Cheers all
Posted by LittleAgreeableBuddy, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 10:13:57 AM
“Freddy” – I honestly don’t know why you bother posting. Must have a lot of free time to ‘stew’ over your bigotries eh big fella!

L.A.B – like I said, I don’t see any point in identifying people by skin colour. I understand that it often does not have a racial undertone, but why do we have to descend into such generalities? Hey, its just my opinion dude, I’m not going to judge how you relate to people, and its not like I haven’t heard and seen it all before. But I don’t think my opinion in anyway means I believe anyone should be “ashamed” of their ethnicity. If anything, it means the reverse.

As to your comparison with the treatment of our Indigenous people with other countries, I see little point. I also see little point in saying that we are in any way “advanced in out treatment”, seeing the plethora of negatives, which you do note as ‘little consolation’. The trouble with integration is that it creates a dichotomy, like BD was pointing out before, and I’ve already commented on earlier on this thread.

I know about Sartor. Anyone I know in the area hate the bloke. He is a typical mis-representing politician. Nuff said.

I’m not sure if you’re right about Bre, since I haven’t been there for around 5 years, since my uncle passed (he used to run the servo – ‘Simmo’ his name was, your father in law may know him). All I can remember of it was how it illustrated the dichotomy I have talked about. Cultures of violence and dependence prevailing as Indigenous Australians, shifted into urban and told to integrate, struggle for a sense of identity
Posted by jkenno, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 11:11:17 AM
jkenno,

It is true I do sometimes stew. Bigotry? How about zealot. I like that one.

FRIEDRICH THE ZEALOT. Nice one.

jkenno you really should consider getting off the indigenous soap box.It is only a suggestion so don't blow a fuse.

I don't have that much time on my hands as you would suggest. I post fast. My knowledge is superior to most people. I am well read. I am a superior champion( I could say white man-but that would be vulgar).

Thanks for the all the praise. I blush.
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 6:51:33 PM
Hi all

Friedrich (post 8:03:32 AM 6/2/06)

Attention: jkenno & Rainier
As a boxer Cassius CLAY (Muhammad Ali) epidomises the Heavyweight division. I always liked him. BUT, there was callousness below the humour & the self-promotion.

Joe FRAZIER helped Ali financially. Frazier's family embraced him when Ali became an outcaste regards his Vietnam stance. Frazier helped resurrect Ali's career, negotiating his return to the ring. What thanks did he receive? None. Only derision & ridicule until the "rumble in the jungle" fight which nearly killed them both.

Frazier was the primary 'destroyer' of Ali's health. HOLMES & others contributed. None received respect from Ali.

Islamic smugness removed the acolades Ali probably deserved. He was culturally alterred once he renownced other than Islam. Sad! He could have been even greater?!
(6/2/06)

Arnel (post 8:27:55 AM 6/2/06)

The riots in Denmark show the blatant disrespect that Islam has for a "host nation" which embraced some of its practitioners seeking a better lifestyle. I believe that the cartoons were unwise, but they don't equate to the burning of flags & buildings as a retaliation.

Vietnamese escaped attrocity in Vietnam, but it gave them no right to become criminals in Australia. Thank goodness most of them were peaceful & integrated. They have done similarly in other nations - regardless of their religious background.

Whether the Perth attacks are racially motivated or not we may not discover. But Sudan is 'divided' into Muslim north & Christian south & the slaughter there is clearly examinable. Aboriginal youths are a separate 'problem'.

The Auburn investigation results will certainly be interesting.

However, Islam seems destined to repeat its own history. Unfortunately many of those rioting in Australia appear to be Lebanese. But it isn't the same worldwide. The common denominator is one religion - Islam. The culture that it breeds from its religious philosophies is the 'problem'.

I do hope that you learn to (or do) separate the ethnicity (race) from the religion.

Multi-ethnicity certainly. Multiculturalism very questionable. The religion (belief) determines the culture. Skin colour or ethnicity often is only a secondary influence.
(6/2/06)

Cheers all
Posted by LittleAgreeableBuddy, Friday, 10 February 2006 11:18:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy