The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > After Cronulla, life goes on in sun city > Comments

After Cronulla, life goes on in sun city : Comments

By Natasha Cica, published 20/1/2006

Natasha Cica examines the aftermath of Sydney race riots.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. All
Keith, and this post from you [full of gratuitous advice and criticism of me] is something else?

Or have you deemed yourself to be my mentor here on OLO? how sweet.

That post was in response to someone who I did not feel I needed to give a basic tutorial on racism or humanitarianism.

Want do you want, a blow by blow textual analysis of the blantantly bloody obvious?

Like Dirk suggested, why not get out that book he recommended - then analyse my post again. Knowledge is power.

*The Ethnic Origin of Nations_ by Anthony Smith

let me know if you want others references, I've got plenty.
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 27 January 2006 6:34:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ranier..... if it doesn't begin at Genesis 10 (Table of the Nations) its probably just wild speculation :)

You still have not been forthcoming with the 'white power structures' of which you so bitterly complain...

It was nice to see Australia day include the Ingidenous dancing etc...
very inclusive. Also good to see an Aboriginal from Sydney swans highlighted there.

So sad to see the bitterness of those who burnt the Australian flag.. how amazing that they have the FREEDOM to do this.. just imagine doing that with the Japanese flag if 'they' were the 'invaders'.. I guess such things would never happen under them, because the first time any one tried it they would have lost their heads.

So, those who spat on, and burnt the flag, might do well to reflect on such realities before doing it again.

Personally I didn't feel 'offended' or outraged by that, well a little, but I felt sorry for those who have allowed bitterness to so totally consume them, that they cannot see past that which every other race and tribe has had to face at some time in their history.."dispossession by others"

Read the background to the Battle of Hastings... Celts dominated by Romans, displaced by Angles, by Saxons... by Vikings..and finally by Normans.. life goes on. The 'English' in my own family tree is a combination of all those events.. such is life mate, get over it... or it will drag you under.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 27 January 2006 7:45:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Want do you want, a blow by blow textual analysis of the blantantly bloody obvious?'
That would be a good starting point. At least I'd then know who you think is racist, your definition of racism and I'd also come understand a little better your anger at us not accepting your definition.

I think my son has Smith's book or at least read it. He spoke of it sometime ago. I don't have it in my collection.

What if I find his views unacceptable? Were do we go then?
Posted by keith, Saturday, 28 January 2006 12:56:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz D, I'm not sure how to respond to you post because it seems you are projecting your own anxieties/deep psyhosis about a few issues onto to me and calling them my problems. I know this is a standard indoctrination tactic used by god-botherers when they go door knocking for god but I thought you'd be different. Alas it is not meant to be. You keep asking me for evidence of structural or institutional racism - not because you're interested - but because you don't believe it exists and want to cross examine whatever I present. Much of the attention here has focused on individual racist behavior and projections. Has it ever occured to you that just as individuals can act in racist ways, so can institutions? Doh!

Kieth,
Ok, I'll give you some examples. I'm short on posting opportunities so you may have to wait until they let me back on.
On Smith book - fine with disagreeing, but don't let it hold you back from reading other works.

On racist discourse: Many of the posts that I would use to demonstrate to you reveal a backlash mentality - many of these posters would consider themselves as "liberal," "open-minded," "objective," and "neutral." For me there is a clear connection between how white Australians are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege and therefor have difficulty recognising racism, both their own and others, institutional, historical and textual
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 28 January 2006 9:52:14 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Ranier... I've just watched a Bruce Lee doco, and I thought I'd seen the best ducking and weaving around..but nope :) YOU take the cake.
Instead of responding to my question with even ONE example of 'white structural racism', you accuse me of having a psychosis and that I am only interested in cross examining u for the purposes of denying what you present ? now that.. deserves a 'duh' with about 50 exclamation marks.
After all my posts which openly admit and condemn the ill treatement of less powerful and Indigenous people, you have the gaul to suggest the above ? "come now..let us reason together".....

Instead of looking for 'big words' with which to impress Keith and others.. why not just come to where the rubber meets the road and SAY something about that which concerns you.... after all, it was YOU who began this little direction, and all I'm asking you to do is DEFEND it or EXPLAIN it...but no.. duck...weave..sidestep, accuse.. blah blah :) ur a classic... If you point to valid issues, I'm the LAST who will deny it.

I'm going to be stubborn on this. So get used to the recurring theme until you put some substance to your broad generalized and 'racist' condemnation of 'white' Australians :)

It seems your version of interaction about issues is 'You state your view, u fail to justify or defend it, and then when questioned on it you make hysterical accusations :) No No Noooo..it won't do.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 28 January 2006 10:17:28 AM
Rainier,

You fella. Me fella.

Cheers bro
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Saturday, 28 January 2006 10:29:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. All