The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Profiling a persistent menace > Comments

Profiling a persistent menace : Comments

By Taimor Hazou, published 5/1/2006

Taimor Hazou argues removing racial profiling in NSW would be a valuable step in breaking down tensions.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
What is the problem with Carr’s description of “Lebanese Gangs”? Are we now denying the existence of Lebanese gangs?

What about drunken white youths? A man of aboriginal appearance? A man of Mediterranean appearance? People of Caucasian appearance? Asian men?

All of these descriptions are regularly used in police bulletins so that we have some idea who to look out for. Some would even say that this is one of the advantages of diversity – it’s easier than searching a sea of white faces.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 5 January 2006 11:53:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well

Allah forbid it!! I have to agree with Leigh.

"Middle Eastern appearance" (ie Lebanese) is useful shorthand for Public Enemy No.1.

Forgive the racism its amply justified.

When those of Middle Eatern appearance finally stop their young blood's:

- initiation by pack rape, and

- self expression by plotting terrorist bombings.

they will again be embraced by the Australian community.

Until then ASIO, the AFP and State Police are getting large budget increases precisely to handle the "Middle Eastern" problem.

Its up to the "Middle Eastern" community, in our midst, to get their house in order before their protests receive any credibility.
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 5 January 2006 1:20:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The ridiculous thing about "Middle-Eastern Appearance" is that I would fit the descriptor - and I can't riot to save my life. I have Anglo-Celtic heritage yet have black hair, brown eyes and rather thick lips. A friend of friend when he first met me assumed I was Jewish. Unless I spoke to you, you wouldn't really have much of an idea of where I come from. I do like Lebanese food so that might incriminate me.

It's this idiotic stereotyping (sorry, profiling) that's led to Indian-Americans, of all people, being attacked after 9/11 in the US, that's contributed to the harassment and violence inflicted upon Muslims in this country - even those who haven't committed a crime in their lives and that's contributed to attacks on Muslim women (yeah, like they were burning down Cronulla).

Intelligent policing is not based caricature but accurate information. Maybe the police need to get their house in order as someone condescendingly told the "Middle-Eastern Community".
Posted by DavidJS, Thursday, 5 January 2006 1:38:43 PM
plantagenet,

ignorance and bigotry should rank higher on any public enemy ranking than the middle east, which last time I checked included: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Omar, Palestine (?), Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, UAE and Yemen.

Certainly an area full of serious problems, but hardly an homegenous part of the world or in anyway useful as an accurate or truthful short hand when describing people who should simply be regarded as Australian.
Posted by Global Nomad, Thursday, 5 January 2006 1:53:39 PM
Taimor: What a lot of garbage, of course if I belonged to such a cowardly useless group,like those Lebanese criminals (note not all Lebanese but only the criminal element) I would not like to be described in that manner either.
We the public, be we Aboriginal, Celtic, Negroid or Asian NEED! to know just who the perpetraters of mindless, thuggish actions are.
Of course they could always wear a burka, like their valued womenfolk. numbat
Posted by numbat, Thursday, 5 January 2006 2:26:52 PM
Here is another 'person of Middle Eastern' descent trying to dictate how Australian media and law use language.
Do people of 'Middle Eastern' descent realise how fed up Australians are with all this stupid political correctness?
We are a people who call a spade a bloody shovel, I would suggest those who refuse to live by our laws or our way of life, find another place to complain about.
Try a Middle Eastern country. You would be happier there.
Posted by mickijo, Thursday, 5 January 2006 3:03:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy