The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Life after Howard – claiming the nation’s values > Comments

Life after Howard – claiming the nation’s values : Comments

By Corin McCarthy, published 8/11/2005

Corin McCarthy argues Australia’s leaders-in-waiting, Peter Costello and Kim Beazley, should show their true colours.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The idea of either Costello or Beazley leading Australia is the stuff of nightmares. McCarthy sums up very well what is surely the opinion of the electorate on Costello. As for Bealey, well he is a two time loser, and the ALP is due for another leader anyway - if there is one in the current shower, that is
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 9:51:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think people have quickly forgotten that Mr Howard was once viewed with similar eyes before he got to prove himself.

I think we emphasise too much on the fear factor of a new PM, the longer Johnny is in the harder it is for us to see someone replace him, that is all.

In essence, Australia is a ship and their will still be a ship regardless of their being a new captain.

John Howard most would agree is by no means the Greatest PM who has ever governed the country. He is not the Andrew Johns or Micheal Jordan of his discipline. He is part of a team.

We need strength, Yes, and we will get it. Leadership does that. Kim Beasley will Be the Man.
Posted by Realist, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 12:45:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There really is a void in national Australian politics at the moment. All that power with absolutely no principles. And I think that the proposed Anti-terror laws and new industrial relations regime is about setting Howard's vision for Australia in concrete, and for the long term.
Corin McCarthy seems to wonder where democracy will lead to in Australia. And seems a little bewildered. I think that Howard is playing to destroy our democracy. Politics won't be about vision if "Emperor Howard" gets his way. It would be about eliminating realistic contenders, keeping a show Opposition and maintaining a state of emergency. If you want to know who the successors to Howard might be, keep an eye out for the Far-Righters in the Liberal Party, that's my opinion.
Just start reading those proposed anti-terror laws and consider the way that Ruddock ran DIMIA; and by the way - we do not have a bill of human rights in Australia.
Not looking good at the moment - there are no obvious leaders-in-waiting, and the rules are about to be changed in nasty, brutish ways...
Posted by Rowdy, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 12:51:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My guess is McCain, Brown and .... Turnbull.
Posted by RobP, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 1:10:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sadly I find myself agreeing with RobP, if nothing changes on the Labor side of politics, the only three or four possible contenders I can see are Stephen Smith, Lindsay Tanner, Julia Gillard or Kevin Rudd, who are capable of leading the Labor Party with any chance of turning the leadership question around. Kim Beazley, has been a good Minister in the past, but he has shown over the previous nine years he is not cut out for the leadership. A fresh face is required now, to make a mark before the next election, if Labor are to have any chance of success, with Peter Costello being a member of Hillsong religous cult, I can't see people warming to him, and Malcolm Turnbull probably has a chance as a fresh face, all the confidence that being a multi-millionaire provides, and he has proven leadership qualities in the Republic debate, has released his own policies, in the face of Costello, if the Liberals win the next election, I would not be surprised to see Malcolm Turnbull at the helm.
Posted by SHONGA, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 1:35:54 PM
Mmm Shonga, I think you are right about Beazley- he just dosn't have the gift of the seven-second news grab. But I would edit your list to just two- Stephen Smith and Julia Gillard. Although I think that Rudd is a highly competent policy person- he always comes across in interviews as well across his portfolio etc- he dosn't have much presence. Tanner just hasn't been getting any face-time lately, and I can't see it happening anytime soon.

As for the Coalition, I don't think they would promote Turnbull- they seem to have a strong sense of order, in terms of people 'waiting their turn', and he is not even a Minister at this stage. I think Petey will be it- none of the other senior ministers stand out as electable to me... Downer is an idiot, Abbott is too polarising, Andrews has no presence... and Ruddock looks and talks like he has eaten too many lemons in a sitting. Not to mention having presided over the Immigration Dept debarcle
Posted by Laurie, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 1:48:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy