The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Life after Howard – claiming the nation’s values > Comments

Life after Howard – claiming the nation’s values : Comments

By Corin McCarthy, published 8/11/2005

Corin McCarthy argues Australia’s leaders-in-waiting, Peter Costello and Kim Beazley, should show their true colours.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
"Beazley has suffered because of his earlier small-target strategy, even though he holds strong values."

That's news to me. I doubt that anyone in the country could state Kim's "values" including himself. This is because of the Labor Party's concern with popular opinion rather than principles. They've done more backflips than a circus performer attempting to use as their platform some ill defined "Aussie" identity from the past as their mainstay. Trouble is, there never was an Aussie identity, and if there was it changes every other day.

Let's face it the Labor Party is waaay out of touch and anyone from their current ranks, at least federally, has been carefully selected by the dysfunctional Party process over the last 20 yrs.

In essence ..a dud.
Posted by Atman, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 3:02:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
After five more years of John Howard, Australia will be a fascist state and talk of the next PM will be irrelevant.
Posted by Tieran, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 3:34:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not at all complacent regarding some orderly ongoing democracy in this country. I fully expect the issue of voluntary voting to get a good run in this current term. Perhaps another $55+M advertising campaign telling us how its our CHOICE wether we vote or not. Why should the poor and disenfranchised vote? There is no party prepared to look out for them.The ALP is riddled with the idiot sons of former ALP luminaries, i wont name them.
Posted by hedgehog, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 3:35:10 PM
i somehow doubt that turnbull cares who is in line ahead of him.
Posted by its not easy being, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 7:32:43 PM
Ok: "Howard for his part has mastered "high alert politics". Australians feel as threatened as the Americans and the British. This is breathtaking because it shows how the public has responded to Howard's constant message on international security and terrorism. It appears an absurd claim given there has been no attack on mainland Australia, but the public has taken it on trust."

I'll admit that with the Sydney raids, I have some explaining. Apologies for the leap into the abyss followed by the crash. Unlike most journos I'll happily accept the criticism.

Thanks for your comments so far. I thought the piece a little too much a "sketch" looking for detail. It is very difficult to do justice a topic (Australia and the change of world leaders) that requiries a book.

That said I think the sketch has allowed for your ideas to fill the gaps. Bravo for doing so.

Corin
Posted by Corin McCarthy, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 10:08:22 PM
I believe that the world will be a better place when Messrs. Bush, Blair and Howard have left the political scene. Who will replace them? Someone better I hope.
Posted by finbar, Wednesday, 9 November 2005 10:25:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy