The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Life after Howard – claiming the nation’s values > Comments

Life after Howard – claiming the nation’s values : Comments

By Corin McCarthy, published 8/11/2005

Corin McCarthy argues Australia’s leaders-in-waiting, Peter Costello and Kim Beazley, should show their true colours.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Go Belly.
Posted by hedgehog, Tuesday, 15 November 2005 2:24:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly
i appreciate your personal background, and your passionate expression of your desire to better the conditions of 'workers'.

Have you ever thought of applying your passion to self employement ?
Clearly you have drive.
I've seen the unions at work near me... Johnson tiles and the thuggery which went on there. You might be 'Mr Clean' and even 'Mr Holy' when it comes to tactics, and this is commendable. If only more were like you.

I suppose you have already thought of this, but.... do you see the situation between 'workers' and 'employers' as one of class warfare ?

I can accept a degree of organization of employed people, because there are times when things do need to be resolved collectively.

Sadly, it often deteriorates (with encouragement from certain Union reps) into a 'Them/Us class warfare' type of mentality.

From that point, it becomes all about "How much can we get out of this mongrel boss" who, in turn is by now thinking "Screw them, they don't care about the competitiveness of the company.. "

So, somewhere between these 2 extremes there is room for a constructive, (not class based) cooperative and positive contribution from labor professionals (and I would class yourself in that category) who can offer help in such matters.

It should NEVER be about 'getting more' for the 'workers' it should always be about "making the company a more productive and competitive industrial force, with an inclusive rewarding culture"

Personally, I think it begins and ends in the Scriptures for all levels of society.

"If my people, who are called by My Name.. will humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, then will I hear from Heaven and heal their land" (II Chronicles 7.13)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 15 November 2005 6:33:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David, I hope you don't mind if I agree with you here. After years of being an employee, I am now self-employed and far, far happier as a result.

My experience with unions has generally been worse than my experience with employers. I have never been involved with an employer who worked on the basis of hatred.

As for leaders, the Liberal Party needs to be dragged back to its liberal roots - there is nothing even vaguely liberal about the party under Howard. Labor, meanwhile, would do well to find itself a leader of some sort. Beazley is as inspiring as last week's soup.
Posted by Ian, Tuesday, 15 November 2005 11:08:24 PM
Ever tried self employment? yes and it worked for a while but I paid too much in wages and employed one person too many.
How do I tell you of why I am a beleaver in trade unions ? the history that they have in bringing justice to those who only have labour to sell?
First place me firmly just and only just left of center, I can never beleave the world owes me or anyone a liveing.
I can not suport leftist dreams or actions that fail to understand most by far of Us are from the middle.
Thugish unions ? yes without doupt they not only exist but some put us in the position of all unions , but not just unions please ,workers under threat by this IR reform.
No person should be a union official who fails to understand its an honour, preveredge , and a duty to represent the people who own the union workers.
Yes a duty, duty to act with pride and fairness, to understand the boss needs to make a liveing from his investment to be able to pay his workers.
But to also understand some bosses are [thankfully not all] grubs who regard workers as slaves.
I must stay away from my thoughts on radicalism in unions, I want to be free to continue to serve my members for a while yet.
But yes unions need to refocus and some slugs who are non productive leachs need to go now.
Unions must replace leaveing people only with proven performers who understand this is not just a job.
So yes reform unions , and rebuild we will but please understand unions are not all alike my union is branded weak because we talk issues out not declareing war.
Like the Labor party and in truth the conservatives, unions are driven by factions I proudly sit in the most productive faction with Labors NSW right and the AWU.
One thing you can bank on bad bosses will grow and if only you could come for one day with me you would understand that.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 16 November 2005 6:53:45 AM
Belly "Ever tried self employment? yes and it worked for a while but I paid too much in wages and employed one person too many."

I have been self employed for the past 20 years or so.

During that time my "fortunates" have waxed and waned.

However, during that time, I have lived my life and never kow-towed to the demands of employer or union. I have walked away, never to return, from jobs and turned my back on massive incomes rather than allow someone to think they "owned me". I have never sought union intervention or withdrawn my skills to suit their agenda.

We have one life, and an expectation to live it to the full. No boss nor union official.

Self employment is a fabulous lifestyle provided you are prepared to pay the price for it. Self employment requires energy and inventiveness. Self em[ployment demands self-esteem and self-reliance. Through self employment we develop our own self to a greater degree than being someone elses servant (either boss or union official).

We have (theoretically) but one life - why waste it building up someone elses ego when you could be building your own character, spirit and individuality.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 16 November 2005 8:59:19 AM
Belly and Boaz have a conversation. Its time to end this blog. It is clear all intelligent commentary on the lead article has come to an end.
Posted by hedgehog, Wednesday, 16 November 2005 9:02:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy