The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sex, lies and stereotypes > Comments

Sex, lies and stereotypes : Comments

By Angela Chong, published 13/5/2005

Angela Chong argues a woman’s autonomy must not be compromised by what she chooses to wear.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15
  13. 16
  14. 17
  15. All
Hmm sexing it up with a fat hairy belly... just thinking about my own situation. I'm down the gym each day in the hope that I can eventually fit into those Metrosexual type threads down at the men's boutiques, ;).... the male equivalent of mutton dressed as lamb? :P Perhaps I should be content to dress "boring", for a while anyway. ;)
Posted by silent minority, Friday, 20 May 2005 6:37:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I just can't figure out about the sunscreen and don't go there baby by Timkins, is the me, me, me you've experienced whilst doing the green iguana all over the world been about slip, slop and a little slap?
Posted by Di, Friday, 20 May 2005 7:43:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ringtail, I'm working on it but despite having great legs I don't think I am at risk of the boss insisting that I wear short shorts or a skimpy shirt (got to keep on the topic a bit). I hold up fairly well for my advanced age (just a tiny bit smaller than yours Ringtail).

I do think there is a bit of a cultural cringe thing for guys dressing "sexed up". Maybe too much hangover from the 70's and the shirts unbuttoned with the necklaces and hairy chest thing (what a stereotype image). The insincere sleeze kind of image.

I've been somewhat saddened by the way much of the discussion has gone - it appears to have degenerated in part into a discussion of the character of women who choose to dress in a manner not considered modest by some. Dress standards appear to be massively influenced by culture and climate, what appears to be lacking in modesty in our culture would be shockingly overdressed in some cultures and what is modest here is brazen hussy stuff in other cultures.

The article was about a number of items but I didn't see that as one of them. I'm not sure I know enough about the background on the Susie Zhang issue to have a serious opinion.

- Was the use of skimpy clothing an employment condition when she took on the job?

- Is such a condition appropriate in a hotel (as opposed to a strip club where it might be relevant)? Personally I think not but I can understand both sides of the argument.
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 20 May 2005 7:48:26 PM
The perfect title for the Timkins movie:

"Endless Bummer"
Posted by garra, Friday, 20 May 2005 8:50:13 PM
Di,
I think you have got the logic partly correct. With Australia having one of the highest skin cancer rates in the world, it is best to cover up as much as possible when outdoors, and not try to expose as much skin as possible.

And if a woman is intentionally acting like superficial “eye candy”, and intentionally flaunting her body in an attempt to attract a male’s attention, it would be best for him to ignore her completely. She is trying to emotionally manipulate him, and she will probably be doing so again, so there would be no real future in the relationship for that man.

And of course children can become caught up in all of this “buying into sexy”. http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/money/sexy/index.html To understand that you should perhaps read the link provided. If you don’t bother to read the links provided, then don’t bother trying to malign myself, or any other male thankyou.
Posted by Timkins, Friday, 20 May 2005 11:05:23 PM
Ringy, what would I do without your constant reminders of what I am allowed and not allowed to say on 'onlineOPINION' :) as I check my words, they are prefaced by "I believe..." hence. "opinion" and in my case, conviction.

You never need regard such opinions as 'ramming down your throat' because they dont contain such words as "YOU MUST/SHOULD/HAVE TO" which would be the 'sin' for which you constantly hold me accountable.

I don't consider your expressed opinions as ramming them down my throat, I view u (and the rest) as valuable individuals who matter and count.

Now, I challenge your view about people being 'eye candy'. I suggest that the value system behind such a comment is lamentably shallow. We can see attractiveness and its opposite without 'flaunting'. Why not strive to put this part of human nature in a very well controlled slot in our overall lives ? Why not seek the deeper aspects of human interaction with that as the icing on the cake ? Kylie Mynogue has just had a sobering reminder that all the flauting in the world gets you NOwhere when the great leveller, the BIG C suddenly rears its ugly head in our lives. All of a sudden, its 'family, close friends, doctors' etc

So, on the topic, while the Muslims seem to have erred in the way they want to 'control' female dress based on specific descriptions of what they should wear, I urge all of us to consider a general code of modesty, which demonstrates we are much more than 'eye candy'. Common sense and cultural concensus under God, should be our guide there, not 'thou shalt wear/not wear such and such'

Personal Autonomy should always be subject to cultural acceptability, or we may have 'troubled times' because we are spitting in the face of our community.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 21 May 2005 12:06:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15