The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Miracles: the dead living ones and the living dead ones. > Comments

Miracles: the dead living ones and the living dead ones. : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 29/6/2023

We are constantly engaged in the struggle of Being, between the hopefulness and peace of the dead living ones and the despairing turmoil of the living dead ones.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Dear David F

Indeed, and McCulloch goes on to make a similar point to what I think Peter and indeed Crossan are saying about miracles:

“Is Shakespeare’s Hamlet ‘true’? It never happened, but it seems to me to be much more ‘true’, full of meaning and significance for human beings, than the reality of the breakfast I ate this morning, which was certainly ‘true’ in a banal sense. Christianity’s claim to truth is absolutely central to it over much of the past two thousand years, and much of this history is dedicated to tracing the varieties of this claim and the competition between them.”

(page 11 also – it looks like the page numbers are the same even though I have the Kindle version and I guess you have a hard copy).

From what I can discern about you I’m pretty sure the answer is “yes”, but have you tried attending a Quaker meeting? They have a less strident take on orthodoxy and are less inclined to proselytising (nowadays) than most denominations, I think.
Posted by Rhian, Monday, 3 July 2023 1:32:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear David F.,

«Descending into superstition is cleansing the mind?»

Obviously it cannot...

It is not the superstition (when present) which cleanses the mind, it is the worship which does.

But sometimes it is superstition which entices people (especially primitive people) to worship. Otherwise they probably wouldn't.

You see, children hate going to the doctor to have an injection, a painful needle, so often their parents tell them: "if you come with me nicely to the doctor then I will give you a lolly (or some desired toy)". Obviously lollies cannot cure you, lollies in themselves cannot increase your immunity, but they can at times help you to get to the doctor.

Sadly, we also see some parents who only remember the lollies and the toys but forget to take their children to the doctor.

Modern adults like us do not require such lollies. For us, pure logic and medical understanding should suffice.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 3 July 2023 2:19:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Yuyutsu,

You are a modern adult because you are an adult living in a modern age. By that definition you are a modern adult. However, you preserve and venerate the superstition prevalent in a past age. That is true of many modern adults.
Posted by david f, Monday, 3 July 2023 2:31:54 PM
Dear David F.,

«However, you preserve and venerate the superstition prevalent in a past age. That is true of many modern adults.»

The topic is about faith, spirit, miracles, the living dead and the dead living, etc., not about myself and my possible personal bad habits.

At this particular juncture you quoted MacCulloch on the topic of worship (or religious liturgy), to which I replied, and at which point you introduced the issue of superstition.

As per my previous post, superstition could indeed also be present, but has little to do with worship itself. In terms of logic, this is a red herring.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 3 July 2023 3:09:56 PM
Dear Yuyutsu,

You wrote: "The topic is about faith, spirit, miracles, the living dead and the dead living, etc., not about myself and my possible personal bad habits."

As far as I am concerned faith is a kind of superstition. Therefore, my comments relate to the subject. Your personal failings are regrettable but shared with many. I feel you are a decent human being but not an enlightened one.
Posted by david f, Monday, 3 July 2023 3:56:59 PM
I was thinking about mobile phones.
A phone has a processor, and is in fact a computer.
Add an operating system, and it becomes capable of many forms of communication.
Without such a system, the phone is inert.
Its active operating system can be 'turned off' if desired, and turned on again at a later time.
It will then work as it did before.

Humans have a computer too. We call it a brain.
It has an operating system.
It has fixed memory, (instincts) and also variable or volatile memory.
These equate to the ROM and RAM in a conventional computer.
But our brain is a living organ.
It requires nutrition to stay alive.
The physical body provides this.
Without nutrition, the brain would stop functioning.

The brain directs the body.
The body nourishes the brain.
So they are co-dependent.
Should one fail, so will the other.
Everything a person is will be stored in his living brain.
If it stops completely, the intelligence it contains will disappear.
And there is no way to reboot or restart a brain.
So the person can and will no longer exist, except in physical form.
Without an active brain, a person is said to have died.
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Thursday, 6 July 2023 1:38:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy