The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Miracles: the dead living ones and the living dead ones. > Comments

Miracles: the dead living ones and the living dead ones. : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 29/6/2023

We are constantly engaged in the struggle of Being, between the hopefulness and peace of the dead living ones and the despairing turmoil of the living dead ones.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
The Synoptic Gospels attribute the following quote to Jesus: "Whoever is not with Me is against Me, and whoever does not gather with Me scatters" (Matthew 12:30), as well as the corresponding statement, "Whoever is not against us is for us" (Luke 9:50; Mark 9:40). The above breeds hate. I don’t want to be a follower of Jesus, but I don’t want to be an enemy of Jesus or his followers. The above quote doesn’t allow neutrality. You are a follower or an enemy.

Perhaps that is one reason why Christians are so effective at slaughter.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 29 June 2023 8:40:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Too esoteric for me, I'm afraid. Every time I have another go at reading the New Testament I stop in disbelief. I can, and do, believe in Christianity as a guide to living, but I can't accept 'miracles'. I have believed in them less ever since that smirking con-man Scott Morrison said, "I believe in miracles".

The mention of "megachurches" (Morrison's 'Christianity') makes me boil. Houston and Hillsong were on TV last Sunday, and the best thing about it was someone referring to such circuses as hugely profitable entertainment industries getting the tax breaks real churches do.

As I approach the end of life, I think more about 'after'. Just yesterday at lunch, my wife and I were talking about her father, who died ten years ago. A man I loved and respected, who flew Lancasters over Europe during WW2 and helped save the world from tyranny, and kept baby ttbn safe. More recently the "baby" of his squadron died, so they are all gone now.

I find it hard to believe that vital, significant human beings who have contributed to society in all manner of ways, just end up like Fluffy the pet cat, buried in the back garden. And, maybe it's not the end for Fluffy, either.

I don't know anymore than the sneering cynics who don't believe in anything and have made up their minds, and preach emptiness and hopelessness. But it would be nice if there is something more than what we have now, which is quite often like the purgatory Catholics believe comes before Heaven.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 29 June 2023 9:40:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The gospel is a work laced with primitive superstition and fiction. The four gospels differ. Only one has JC walking on water.

If one believes JC was crucified and died for our sins, then one has to hold open in the mind the possibility of the opposite or another explanation.

Miracles? Possibly, given anything is possible or beyond our understanding.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 29 June 2023 11:52:01 AM
ttb
I think we must come to grips with the fact that the gospel writers are more sophisticated that us!
Posted by Sells, Thursday, 29 June 2023 12:52:46 PM
Alan B, It seems that no matter what I write you come out with the same old tired stuff.
P
Posted by Sells, Thursday, 29 June 2023 12:53:57 PM
Speaking of a sophisticated Illuminated Understanding of death and everything else too why not check out these related websites:

http://beezone.com/adida/laughingmanmag/vol2no3deathdying/welcomesisterdeath.html
http://deathanddyingwisdom.com
http://www.beezone.com/wide-stacks-many-topics/death_message.html

Right Human Life and the "Culture" of Death
http://www.aboutadidam.org/newsletters/newsletter-february2004.pdf

http://www.beezone.com/beezones-main-stack/stresschemistry.html
Posted by Daffy Duck, Thursday, 29 June 2023 1:22:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy