The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Celebrating’ the first birthday of the Russian invasion of Ukraine > Comments

Celebrating’ the first birthday of the Russian invasion of Ukraine : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 28/2/2023

There are only three things that can be celebrated at the conclusion of one year of a war that began when Russia invaded Ukraine.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Here's what's left of your Ukrainian military shadowminister
http://youtu.be/LeaSqg_RX9M?t=329

I told you they were just conscripting old men and handicapped people and dragging young boys off the street.
I even saw a bus load of young teenage girls in military uniform, I'm sure I showed you that already on another thread.

Yevgeny Prigozhin, head of the Wagner Group is himself begging the Ukrainian military to evacuate them.

When you argue that 'more weapons should be sent' and to 'fight for Ukrainian soverignty' and that 'Putin should go to the Hague'
- These are the people you're sending to die.

Not only that so busy lapping up all the misinformation you're being fed you have little understanding of what's really going on.

When the Western and Ukrainian news reports that 'Russia is sending in human waves' you're actually buying into the the Wests projection;
It Ukraine that just keeps sending in thousands of men in human waves.

When they state Russia has lost 150,000+ men dead to the war, it's the Ukraine that that has lost that many of its own troops.

When they state that Russia is running out of missiles and ammunition, it Ukraine's who air defense has been destroyed and is running out of missiles and artillery shells and other supply issues.

When they say 'Russia's economy is in tatters' it's actually European economies that have fallen into recession. You see that article above stating China's production is at a 10 year high, they bought all the energy from Russia.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 4 March 2023 11:43:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Cont.]
- shadowminister,
You just don't listen, you believe the one-sided western propaganda.
- From the same people who lied about Vietnam (and thought they could wear them down too, and lost), lied about WMD's in Iraq, lied about Syria, lied about coronavirus and much, much more.
The US couldn't even beat Vietnamese in rice paddies or goat herders in Afghanistan.

And FYI, I told you before Putin has done everything by the book.
He tried for 'internal right to self determination' - i.e autonomy for the people of Donbass, the West and Ukraine did not enter into that deal in good faith.
So he recognised the DPR and LPR claims of independence after years of war against them by the Kiev regime post US sponsored coup.
'external right to self defense'
And entered the war under the pretext of collective self defense, just as NATO had set the precedent to in Kosovo.

Read this:
The 'Caroline' Affair in the Evolving International Law of Self-Defense
http://www.lawfareblog.com/caroline-affair

I think it's really sad that all you lot are so uninformed, that you don't understand all the tiny details and believe the western propaganda, and at the other end of it, all you're doing is sending more Ukrainians to die, old men, handicapped, adolescent young men, women and girls in to get slaughtered, (because that's all that's left) all because you want to 'Get Putin', who I might add has been warning against this since the NATO summit in Budapest in 2008, years prior to the Maidan.
- As well as this, all you're doing is just pushing Russia and China closer together, and destoying all western economies.

Told you all so, so many times.
- I don't support sanctions or western sponsored coups.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 4 March 2023 11:53:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I made a small error in the above post.
Where I wrote: 'external right to self defense'
I should have wrote 'external right to self determination'

Source Princeton University
http://pesd.princeton.edu/node/511
Legal Aspects of Self-Determination
Introduction / Definition

"Self-determination has two aspects, internal and external. Internal self-determination is the right of the people of a state to govern themselves without outside interference. External self-determination is the right of peoples to determine their own political status and to be free of alien domination, including formation of their own independent state. However, independence is not the only possible outcome of an exercise of self-determination. In international law, the right of self-determination that became recognized in the 1960s was interpreted as the right of all colonial territories to become independent or to adopt any other status they freely chose. Ethnic or other distinct groups within colonies did not have a right to separate themselves from the "people" of the territory as a whole. Today, the right of groups to govern themselves is increasingly intertwined with human rights norms, in particular the rights of minorities and indigenous peoples. While no right to secession has yet been recognized under international law, it is possible that such a right may be accepted in the future as an exceptional measure, if a distinct group of people is systematically denied the right to participate in the government of the state or if individuals within such a group suffer systematic and gross violations of human rights that make their participation in that state impossible."

Now read that last part:
"if individuals within such a group suffer systematic and gross violations of human rights that make their participation in that state impossible."

The citizens in the Donbass were bombed for 8 years.
- They had every right to claim independence, and as independent states they were free to join the Russian Federation.
And Russia, as a member of the UN had the right to intervene under 'collective self defense'.

This is international law.
Putin followed the rules.

Anyone want to argue I'm wrong or that International Law does not apply?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 4 March 2023 8:18:43 PM
AC,

I see that you have gone into full conspiracy theory mode while you quote the law, the facts you use are wrong:

1 in 1990 every oblast of Ukraine including Crimea and the Donbas voted overwhelmingly to leave the Soviet Union.
2 The Maidan revolution was homegrown, and while morally supported by the west, the 100 000s of demonstrators were genuine.
3 The occupation of the Donbas and Crimea was done by Russian soldiers and was not an uprising.
4 The vote to secede from Ukraine in Crimea and other Oblasts was rigged
5 The Russian soldiers occupying the Donbas were regularly shelling Ukraine and the Ukrainians' response was against the Russian soldiers.
6 Ukraine was never going to attack Russia, so the law of pre-emptive self-defence does not apply.

Secondly,
1 The sanctions are now biting and the Russian economy is running a heavy and unsustainable deficit.
2 Russia is losing tanks, IFVs, guns and aircraft way faster than it can replace them
3 Russia is losing 800 to 1000 men a day.
4 If Ukraine gets the 600 tanks promised it will be near parity with Russia
5 Ukraine is getting longer-range weapons from the US and is now using drones to attack assets inside Russia.

China,
1 China is impressive, but its economy is about 1/3 of the US and EU combined.
2 China is fragile now and has been running huge budget deficits to fund the economy with government debt even higher than the US. An expensive trade war with its best customers is the last thing it needs.
3 China is particularly vulnerable to sanctions as 10% of its GDP is producing goods for the US and EU, especially the more profitable goods.
4 China is highly reliant on imports of technology as the example of JTE above showed.

China supplying lethal equipment to Russia would provoke the following responses:
1 A blacklisting of any companies involved,
2 Trade sanctions on China
3 High tech weapons such as long-range missiles, fighter jets etc. delivered to Ukraine.

Russia cannot win this war.
Posted by shadowminister, Sunday, 5 March 2023 3:54:52 AM
"Russia cannot win this war."

Hitler said the same thing!
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 5 March 2023 5:11:30 AM
Paul,

Can you make a post that is not moronic?

P.S Hitler is not quoted saying "Russia cannot win this war" another lie by you.

I see that Russia is now pulling out BTR 50s that were retired in the 1960s as they have lost most of their modern IFVs.
Posted by shadowminister, Sunday, 5 March 2023 10:56:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All