The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Celebrating’ the first birthday of the Russian invasion of Ukraine > Comments

Celebrating’ the first birthday of the Russian invasion of Ukraine : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 28/2/2023

There are only three things that can be celebrated at the conclusion of one year of a war that began when Russia invaded Ukraine.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Hi AC,

Who doesn't want peace? I think it depends on your definition. If it means withdrawing Russian forces from Ukraine then Russian supporters are against peace. Also, prior to 2014 Crimea was Ukrainian territory.

Cheers
Posted by Fester, Thursday, 2 March 2023 9:41:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pauliar,

You are a vacuous airhead. Your virtue signalling here is idiotic, Putin clearly wants to subjugate Ukraine and without US aid that is exactly what would happen. If you are for this "peace" then you are both a moron and a sadist.

Neville Chamberlain tried that with Hitler, and the EU tried that with the invasion of Crimea. All this did was embolden a dictator to go harder next time.

The only way to stop Russia from fighting is to prove that they cannot win. Handing over 5000 000 Ukrainian citizens to subjugation to get a temporary peace is moronic beyond reason.
Posted by shadowminister, Thursday, 2 March 2023 10:45:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Fester,

"I think it depends on your definition."
It could also depend on the definition of which parts of Ukraine are now Russian.

Ultimately, Ukraine will have to pay a price in seceding land.

It's ridiculous to think that Russia is going to withdraw, leaving Russian speaking people to fend off the Ukrainian government and Crimea open to attack.
This is the price that the US, Europe and Ukrainians themselves have to pay for the folly of the US overthrowing democratically elected governments and conspiring to deliberately create a military conflict with a nuclear armed state, with their standard foreign policy of threats, bullying, regime change and military intervention.

Watch this:
Nov-2013 Pre-Maidan: Ukraine Deputy has proof of USA staging civil war
http://youtu.be/y9hOl8TuBUM

Regarding long-range weapons, they won't be coming anytime soon.
There's a difference between 'Presidential Drawdown' (which is from US stockpiles, and USAI (which is a contract for weapons to be manufactured)
Look here, under 'USAI' - 'Precision Guided Rockets'.
http://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3287992/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/
- Read the 'fine print'.

The US is now making threats against China.
What are they going to do if China gets involved?
Sanctions? Lol
- This will backfire so spectacularly it'll make the failed Russian sanctions look like a drop in the ocean for the damage western countries will bring on themselves.
If you think the Russian sanctions have backfired and placed some European countries into recession, wait until you see all of Europe suffer a complete economic collapse which will take decades to recover from, also Chinese counter sanctions against the west aren't going to go down well with western citizens, ALL the western leaders will be gone long before Putin and Xi.
There will be no wearing down the Russians and Chinese together.
China's industrial output alone is greater than the US and Europe put together, and their domestic market is already huge.
Russia has all the energy, and China has the largest industrial capacity.

Also, Ukraine's about to lose Bakhmut, (with thousands encircled) which will have a demoralising effect on Ukrainian military and possibly even cause a political crisis in Kiev.
http://youtu.be/4tpvSA9DnD8
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 2 March 2023 9:57:51 PM
Good post AC,

We don't always agree, but I appreciate what you post, its clear and concise, and you can see beyond the blinkered view put out by American propaganda which is lapped up by the sycophantic shadowminister.

BTW, did you hear about the suicide on the train tracks on the Cleveland line Monday at 6.30am near Wynnum Station? really bad, these things are purposely withheld from the public news. A person wrapped themselves in a blanket and lay on the tracks, shocking.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 2 March 2023 10:21:11 PM
Hi Paul1405,
No, I didn't hear about that, sounds horrible, and sad for the person involved and their family.

I actually had a close friend, who I lived and worked with in Melbourne about 25 years ago who did the same thing on the train tracks near Cheltanham Station just a few months after I left and came back up to Queensland.
It's really hard to comprehend what might've been going on in his head to do such a thing.
- To actually think about it, and do it.
It was a real shock to me at the time, I wish I hadn't have left maybe he'd still be alive, we were good friends.
- And he didn't seem like a person who had any kind of life or relationship problems, past trauma or mental health issues, (though it maybe hard to tell the latter)
The only sort of closure on the issue I could have was that whatever was bothering him wasn't bothering him anymore, but it was still sad and hard to understand.

Yes they don't seem to report on these things, maybe they're concerned other people with issues might consider doing the same thing upon hearing such horrible news.

When I was about 17 me and another friend and I went down to Hillards Creek at Wellington Point, not sure if it's a sealed road there now, but it was dirt road back then.
We found someone in a car with a hose going from the exhaust into the back window.
- I don't remember us getting too close, or even if we were the ones who reported it or not, maybe.
We were just teenage boys and maybe a little too young to really understand such things.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 3 March 2023 10:26:17 AM
"me and another friend and I"
I often check through my comment before I post it to check things.
- oops, Looks like I messed that one up real good...
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 3 March 2023 10:30:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All