The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Celebrating’ the first birthday of the Russian invasion of Ukraine > Comments

Celebrating’ the first birthday of the Russian invasion of Ukraine : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 28/2/2023

There are only three things that can be celebrated at the conclusion of one year of a war that began when Russia invaded Ukraine.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Hi Armchair Critic,

This is the t-shirt that I would buy:

http://redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/STOP-PUTIN-by-KARDOL/102876357.WFLAH
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 2 March 2023 4:38:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Fester,
I think its an interesting observation that many who support the Russian side as I do, also hope for peace and a negotiated settlement, whilst those who support Ukraine support a continuation of the war.

I think that listening to what the western news articles are saying is just an invitation to further escalation, including to the point of nuclear conflict.

As much as China is 'trying' to stay neutral, I'm not sure they will stand by and allow a Russia defeat, which would lead to a political crisis and Putin's ousting (assuming a pro-western leader could be installed which now seems increasingly unlikely) because that would leave them encircled by West.

The West carries on about Russias nuclear threats, but the honest truth of it is this, Russia is at this point not interested in using nuclear weapons right now, because the Russian homeland is not militarily threatened, BUT if the West were to engage in a successful military campaign in Crimea (which is quite large - 27,000 square kilometers), this would open the door to nuclear weapons use as per the Russian nuclear doctrine.

Let us go back prior to 2014.
Imagine you were a fly on the wall in Victoria Nulands office, and they are discussing conducting a coup in Ukraine, and talking about ousting the Russians from their naval base in Crimea, and making a NATO base to encircle Russia.
This is the mindset of the people who've created this war, which one must recognise began in 2014 not 2022.

2022 was just when Russia formally recognised the DPR and LPR as independent states, after which they had a legitimate right to accept those peoples request for assistance and enter the war to protect them. And the US and NATO have used this pretext for intervention themselves, they set the precedent.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 2 March 2023 4:57:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Cont.]
And one must also recognise that Putin first tried for internal right to self determination - as per the Minsk agreements, and when that failed and it became clear that Ukraine had no intention of honouring this agreement - I think a legitimate argument comes into place that the Ukrainian government loses the right to rule over it's Russian speaking people in the Donbass.

The people of the Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhia have declared by vote they want to join Russia. Further attacks against them and the use of long range weapons will just create the pretext for Russia to take more land to protect them.

The bigger question to me is this, think about Vicky Nuland sitting in her office prior to 2014, if they set about on their plan to overthrow the country, are the Russian speaking people in the east of the country likely to want to go along with it, or are they more likely to want their own autonomy and remain closer to Russia, and I think the answer here is pretty simple to understand.
- These people are going to choose Russia, and they have every right to.

So what's the big take away?
That allowing these warmongering neoconservatives to push forward their plans for regime changes ITSELF IS THE PROBLEM.
- This is the real cause of the war, an existing war which began in 2014 and which in 2022 Russia intervened in.

Russia just wants to protect both it's national interests (it's Crimean Naval base in Sevastopol) and the Russian speaking people in Ukraine, which it can be reasonable stated the Ukrainian government in Kiev has lost the right to rule over after waging 8 years of war upon them.

As long as these neoconservative liberal interventionists are allowed to do as they please for the sake of 'US interests', the world can only expect further conflicts.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 2 March 2023 5:03:06 AM
Hi Foxy,
Ahh, why am I not surprised [Rolls eyes]
Nice comeback, I guess lol

It's pretty easy to make your own T-shirts at home these days.
You can buy a fairly good quality heat press on eBay for a few hundred bucks, and if you have a good quality printer you only need to buy the correct transfer sheets, you don't even need to use sublimation ink anymore, so I'm told.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 2 March 2023 5:19:42 AM
Pauliar,

Now you are a lying Trump supporter and general weasel. Real peace is not going to be achieved by Pauliar's virtue signaling and weasel words.

If Russia stops fighting and withdraws the war stops immediately. If Ukraine stops fighting Ukrainians are occupied and brutally subjugated. The executions and torturing of civilians in occupied areas in Ukraine will be repeated throughout the country. If this is your version of peace, then either you are a moron or a sadist.

Russia has made it clear that it has no intention of stopping and will only stop when Russia realizes that it cannot win and that the cost of occupying Ukraine cannot be maintained.

The good news is that while Russia is making minute gains at the moment it is burning through men and material at a huge rate and its economy is in a tailspin.
Posted by shadowminister, Thursday, 2 March 2023 7:32:10 AM
shonky,

Calling for peace does not make one a moron or sadists. Of course you have always condoned war, and have no concern for those civilians dying and suffering as a consequence. least of all Ukraine's. Where were you when the Americans were killing innocent Afghans and millions more in other wars of aggression, safe on the sidelines giving three cheers no doubt, and egging them on, that's where you were!

Like some Trumped up smart-arse, you know nothing about this war, much less about anything else.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 2 March 2023 8:15:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All