The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > This is the politics the left made based on threats of power, not peaceful persuasion > Comments

This is the politics the left made based on threats of power, not peaceful persuasion : Comments

By Graham Young, published 14/1/2021

I guess like me you've been more than a little shocked at the Republican 'insurrection' in the United States. But for me it has been a double shock. Not only am I shocked, but I'm shocked that I'm shocked.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Well, the US does have a history of violence, from the war of independence, to the civil war, to race wars, and to interference in foreign countries it thought it could make 'just like them'. There is also their fascination with guns, particularly unnecessary- to-civilians military weapons, and shooting people. The death penalty is popular still: electrocution, gassing, lethal injections, keeping people locked up for years before killing them. And don't forget run of the mill cops approaching traffic law offenders with an aimed pistol.

Americans are violent and, they are so hypocritical when violence is redirected at them, as with the Capitol disturbance. The left has been rioting and looting ever since Trump was elected; now it's all shock and horror when the right does it. And, there is no doubt of the rottenness of the judiciary which refuses to listen to cries for a proper investigation into electoral fraud - fraud that America does as well as any banana republic in Latin America.

It's probably well overdue for the right to use left tactics. As in Australia, the right is usually too gentlemanly to treat the left the way the left treats it. The Capitol affair should be seen as a 'we aren't putting up with it anymore' warning.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 14 January 2021 8:29:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ttbn,

Yes, the Capitol disturbance, or slight perturbation, was a bit of a concern. But not any worse than a speeding cyclist really.

In his last week, Trumpf has had the distinction of executing a crazy woman, the first woman killed in nearly seventy years. What a hero.

I wonder what's in store this weekend and up to the Inauguration of President Biden who, I recall, gained some seven or eight million more votes than Trumpf. I hope the CCTV cameras will be going flat-out.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Thursday, 14 January 2021 9:30:17 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear GrahamY,

A little self serving of you mate. I do agree that Twitter banning Trump is quite problematic and I don't support it but like the Murdoch press it is a private company.

However unlike the Murdoch press attacks on Andrews for instance Twitter is not actively savaging Trump at every occasion. Indeed Murdoch has effectively de-voiced Labour politicians for many years now.

Political voices can also be withdrawn by pollies themselves. The PM's absolute refusal to appear on Virginia Trioli's program on Melbourne's 774 is a case in point.

So your high horse edicts are a little disingenuous I'm afraid.

Also the case you are trying to make that these protests are just a reaction to the left wing protests conveniently disregards what went down in the very first year of Trump's presidency.

“Nearly alone among the nation’s elected leaders, President Trump saw a nobility of purpose in the fiery procession that began a weekend of street fights in Charlottesville, Va. White nationalists hoisted tiki torches that recalled the horrifying imagery of the Ku Klux Klan. They revived an old Nazi chant–“Blood and Soil”–which had been silenced in 1945 with American blood on German soil. And they mixed in a new anti-Semitic taunt, “Jews will not replace us,” meant to declare unity of the white race.”
http://time.com/4904281/bigots-boosted-by-the-bully-pulpit-charlottesville/

That people came out in reaction to that is hardly surprising. This could have gotten far uglier had Trump had the intelligence of a Nixon for instance. His incompetence has been a blessing in many ways.

Anyway I did enjoy Friendly Jordies take this morning.
http://youtu.be/KfoTVC5q8Q8

As I said in another thread, I will miss him.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 14 January 2021 9:31:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Forgetting American’s national character for a moment, but still on the Capitol incident, what the hell did the bed wetters expect with:

A democratically elected president constantly subjected to abuse
Mainstream media lies
False accusations of collusion with Russia
Early impeachment based on lies
Big Tech lending a hand in elections
No or very little establishment condemnation of BLM and Antifa riots, looting and burning by the Left
Nutters like Nancy Pelosi
Voting corruption acknowledged by 70% of Americans, including Democrats
Refusal of courts to investigate the claims, based not on evidence but on procedural grounds
FBI, CIA, Justice Department involved in undermining Trump
Constitutional norms ignored by the establishment during Trumps term in office.

None of this will be of any interest to the left wing cranks here and elsewhere, but it needs to said in the hope that there are still some sane people out there.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 14 January 2021 10:13:32 AM
Free speech is one thing, hate speech another! And truth is as different to lies as night is to day! Those that stirred this riot did so because that's how they intended to stay in power!

When we see this sort of overreach we need to call it ou not try and justify it with spin and BS!

This was not peaceful protest but armed insurrection and this lynch mob, for that what they were! were sent locked and loaded to the bastion of freedom To hang Mike Pence and take hostages!

All at the behest of a power addicted lunatic? Who reportedly sleeps with a copy of Mien Kampf on his nightstand?

Time to call a spade a spade and stop with the subservient spit likle brown-nosing.

Fascism is was and remains the creature of the extreme lunatic right!

I thought we'd gotten past this lunacy and looked at the different exchange of ideas as good or bad and gave them up or down, not this fiction of left or right ideologies that require you lock your mind in a box and jump when the glories leader asks for it!

This BS of divide and conquer serves nobody in the end and never ever ends well! Those that incite mob violence whatever their political persuasion, need to take responsibility and be held to account for their actions!

Be it a cop kneeling on a black man's neck until he died or a leader that lost who cannot stand aside and accept the will of the voters. And in spite of widespread voter suppression and republican gerrymanders.

This creature needs to be impeached so he can never ever again hold or profit from public office!

And then stand in the dock to answer as you and I would, if the boot was on the other foot, to answer for his alleged unpardonable criminal acts?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 14 January 2021 11:18:34 AM
Free speech is one thing, hate speech another!
Alan B,
So, how to you suggest the Left should address curbing hate speech ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 14 January 2021 11:30:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy