The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > This is the politics the left made based on threats of power, not peaceful persuasion > Comments

This is the politics the left made based on threats of power, not peaceful persuasion : Comments

By Graham Young, published 14/1/2021

I guess like me you've been more than a little shocked at the Republican 'insurrection' in the United States. But for me it has been a double shock. Not only am I shocked, but I'm shocked that I'm shocked.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
//even banning Trump from Twitter.//

Gasp! Shock! Horror!

Just out of interest... how many people have you, Graham, personally banned from this particular forum? Either because they 'violated the rules' or because you just didn't like the cut of their gib?

Given that this without doubt the single most censorious website I've ever encountered, I'd say a whole [remove the profanity]ing bunch. Except of course I can't [remove the profanity]ing say that, because this is the most [remove the profanity]ing censorious website outside of China. Seriously, it's getting to the point where it's a bit of [remove the profanity]ing joke.

So I don't see a problem with a public forum like Twitter banning users that have flouted their rules anymore than I do with Onliine Opinion banning people who flout their rules: your/their website, your/their rules. A man's speech is still free... they just can't share it on a given platform unless they adhere to said platform's rules. What is your reasonable objection to a position you have steadfastly adhered to for at least 15 years?

//Perhaps if Rowling had her time over again she might realise that the real risk of fascism is from the left, not from the right//

And who is surprised that Graham favours the Death Eaters? Who's your favourite, Graham? I'm gonna guess it's one of the ones instrumental in releasing the Dementors from Azkaban. You strike me as man who is in favour of the notion of Dementors in general.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 15 January 2021 5:45:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//In 2021 we have to start rediscovering that each individual has unique worth and inalienable rights//

Under US law, corporations can be treated as individuals with unique worth and inalienable rights. Twitter has (limited) unique worth and inalienable rights. I don't know exactly how inalienable their rights are because corporation law is complicated. But if I want to
a) Borrow books from my local library: I must take up membership, get a library card, and FOLLOW THEIR RULES. If I don't follow their rules, they can revoke my membership. And rightly so: libraries are sacred.
b) Attend my local club: I must take up membership, obey general RSA restrictions in my jurisdiction, adhere to the dress code and FOLLOW THEIR RULES. If I don't follow their rules, they can revoke my membership. And rightly so: I don't want deadbeats in my club.
c) Post on online opinion: I must provide my email adress, and in theory I'm required to follow your rules, although I note that there is a lot of leeway regarding those rules if I fake-post under the name 'runner', kiss your arse a lot, and pretend to be tory.
d) Post on twitter: pretty much the same rules as OLO, but they don't censor my (remove the profanity)ing posts because it's not 1941 anymore and nobody without a very small penis cares about [remove the profanity]ing 'naughty' words these days.

So an obvious soultion presents itself:
OLO becomes less biased, less censorious, and opens iteslf up as the new Twitter or Parler or whatever. But that would require a Grand Poobah who is willing to act in exactly the way he hasn't for at least 30 years. I'm not going to hold my breath...
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 15 January 2021 5:56:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Banjo Paterson,

I get the attraction. I have listened to extended pieces of Trump speeches, some lesser known ones included, and there would be certain life circumstances which if I had found myself within he probably would have got my vote.

As someone whose objection to the one sided free trade deals which Australia perused under both stripes of government (deals which basically sacrificed our manufacturing sector to appease our agricultural one} to have someone promising to either rewrite them or toss them entirely would have been quite attractive.

Trump markedly increased federal funding to black universities and he substantially reformed Veterans Affairs via the Mission Act in 2018.

“In the 2019 Veterans of Foreign Wars Our Care Report, 6,900 veterans were surveyed and they noticed big improvement in VA health care due to the Mission Act. Nearly three-quarters, 74%, reported seeing improvements at their local VA.”
http://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2020/08/26/president-trump-has-been-a-champion-for-americas-veteran-community/

To a union member seeing American jobs disappearing over seas having someone commit not only to stopping the drift but reversing it would have been very appealing.

As to clearing the swamp there is not doubt in the world he did the opposite during his term, but he at least articulated there was a swamp and shone a light on it.

It is just the rest of the baggage, the nepotism, corruption, and serial liar aspects that were ultimately rejected by the American voter.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 15 January 2021 6:46:25 PM
I note many people dismiss the possibility that there was widescale fraud How do they explain the thousands of sworn affidavits by poll watchers of irregular activities and the Dominion servers used in all the swing counties are from the the same company who are facing a fraud case in the Philippines for switching votes in the early hours of the morning and it has been proven by a forensic examination of the machines. In addition there is a court case in Italy where a judge has accepted a deposition by a data technician who alleges he was the one called into the American offices in Rome to actually carry out a late night switch of Trump votes to Biden. As you can see by the Big Tech rush to silence Trump and eliminate any reference to Fraud there are very powerful forces who do not want Trump to continue in the Presidency He has made many enemies .
Posted by Truth Seeker, Friday, 15 January 2021 7:50:31 PM
Dear Truth Seeker,

You sir are insane.

There are not thousands of sworn affidavits.

Dominion machines have repeatedly found to be sound and there has been zero examples fraud associated with them by inspectors.

"...assertions that machines can be hacked, votes were dumped and test ballots can be counted are false. The federal government and election experts discovered no election fraud on the part of Dominion Voting Systems or its voting machines."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/01/14/fact-check-dominion-voting-machines-create-ballots-only-audits-tests/3973030001/

Trump was a corrupt, bullying, nepotistic, venal, incompetent leader which is why he ended up 7,000,000 votes behind his rival.

Get over it.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 15 January 2021 8:28:37 PM

Dear SteeleRedux,

Many thanks for those interesting observations.

Trump has certainly put the boot into some anthills during his four years as president of the world’s most powerful country – and the results have not always been totally negative – quite the contrary. So many countries have been feeding off the beast, sheltering under its wing and taking advantage of the situation far too long.

Time is up. We’ve all got the message now. We all have to stand on our own two feet and look after ourselves. If we need help, we have to offer something equivalent in return. It’s take it or leave it. A bit brutal, but if we want to be independent, that’s what we have to do.

Wikipedia has just posted an extensive article that provides additional information on how the Capitol insurrection was planned, with indications of some of the people who helped organise it :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_storming_of_the_United_States_Capitol

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 16 January 2021 3:22:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy