The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Addressing the issues on abortion > Comments

Addressing the issues on abortion : Comments

By Amanda Fairweather, published 13/10/2005

Amanda Fairweather argues it is time to have a serious debate on abortion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. 23
  13. 24
  14. All
Di,
You are off line,
You are not relevant
You are not honest
You are not timkins
You are not Makybe Diva
You are bad Leonard Cohen

So how would you go about reduceing the abortion rate, or do you think it even necessary.
Posted by Timkins, Tuesday, 8 November 2005 9:34:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Timkins, how does stupidity regarding Di's post contribute anything to the debate: "you are not Makybe Diva"- Well I'm sure Di is fairly sure she (he? we are all anon in this online world) is not a Cup-winning horse. I suspect hooves are rather difficult to type with. For the record, I too, am not Makybe Diva.
Posted by Laurie, Wednesday, 9 November 2005 9:08:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Laurie,
You are stupid
You do not contribute anything to the debate:
You are not fairly sure
You are not a Cup-winning horse.
You suspect
You have a record
You are not Makybe Diva.

Now Di has called the poster “timkins” many names in the past, but rarely substantiated anything, and it becomes apparent that Di made her last post so as to continue to malign and call “timkins” various names. Di’s post had little to do with the topic of abortion, so other posters can simply call Di names and say whatever they want about DI also.

Now Laurie has called the poster “timkins” many names in the past, but rarely substantiated anything, and it becomes apparent that Laurie made her last post so as to continue to malign and call “timkins” various names. Laurie’s post had little to do with the topic of abortion, so other posters can simply call Laurie names and say whatever they want about Laurie also.

Do you like to see lots of maligning things said about “timkins”, but don’t like to see “timkins” returning the same?

In so much of this “debate” concerning abortion, there are people who say that they have a right to have an abortion etc, and that right should not be taken away etc.

I have a right to spend hours in the sun without sunburn protection.
I have a right to eat lots of junk food.
I have a right to smoke cigarettes.
I have a right to drink lots of beer untill drunk every day.
I have a right to do many things that are not that recommendable or agreeable to other people. Some may accept or agree with what I do, but many wouldn’t (particularly if they have to indirectly fund my activities through such things as medicare costs)

It would seem that abortion is not that recommendable or agreeable to many people, so how to reduce it is the question?

[NB. Calling “timkins” various names is not the answer to this question]
Posted by Timkins, Wednesday, 9 November 2005 10:05:30 AM
How to reduce abortion is to prevent conception. To prevent conception I think several things need to happen:
1) Better sex education. I dont know about everyone else's experiences, but my schooling involved a talk to the girls in grade five/six about scary periods and using the teacher's toilets if we were unfortunate enough to have them early, a similar discussion (boys and girls separate) in year eight, and a 'health' class in year ten. This health class was taught by a teacher who seemed embarrassed about the whole thing, the boys in the class kept making jokes, and I'm sure that most of my classmates (remembering year ten kids are around 15-16yrs) already knew much more than what was being 'taught'.
b) Doctors remembering to remind women when they prescribe antibiotics that this will make their pill null and void for awhile.
c) Greater availability of 'youth' health services. No-one wants to talk to their doctor who they have known since they were two about contraception.
d) Availability of mail-order condoms for rural/remote people. Who wants to have to go to the supermarket or chemist where you know every single person?

[off topic] Timkins, please go back and read your comments regarding Di, and my comments on that. Can you not see that your repeating of utterly tangental statements in Di's post just makes YOU seem irritating? Even though Di made an unneeded comment about you? You do yourself and your arguments great disservice, as people are much more inclined to skip over your posts when they are full of lists of 'insults' people have used against you.
Posted by Laurie, Wednesday, 9 November 2005 10:29:18 AM
Laurie,
You are off topic.
You can not see.
You repeat utterly tangential statements.
You make unneeded comments.
You do yourself and your arguments great disservice.
Your posts are full of 'insults'.

If you believe that “Di’s” remarks regard “Timkins” are “insults”, then you can recommend her posts for deletion. There are many such posts from “Di” and a number of others.

“Timkins” put up with such insults and abuse for many months, but now just returns the same. It is noticed that you have criticised “Timkins” for returning such insults, but never before have you criticised the person who made the insults originally (possibly because you make such insults so often yourself). As a feminist you may believe it your right to "insult" or "dump" on males, but I just see this as a primary characteristic of feminism.

You seem to place great emphasise on “education” as a means to reduce the current rate of abortion. However the most typical profile of a woman having an abortion appears to be an educated, employed, single women between the ages of 20 – 30.

I wonder how many of those women have previously received sex education. I would think the vast majority, so there would have to be other things besides education programs, or those education programs would have to be reviewed for effectiveness
Posted by Timkins, Thursday, 10 November 2005 9:11:33 AM
*sigh* why do I bother? Its like writing to a brick wall.
Posted by Laurie, Thursday, 10 November 2005 2:19:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. 23