The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Addressing the issues on abortion > Comments

Addressing the issues on abortion : Comments

By Amanda Fairweather, published 13/10/2005

Amanda Fairweather argues it is time to have a serious debate on abortion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. 24
  13. All
Laurie,
You sigh
You write
You are a brick wall

Judging by your posts, it could be best that you did not bother posting onto forums about abortion either, as you seem to know very little about abortion. The author is young, but has definitely made an attempt to investigate abortion in Australia, and learn about it.

You seem to know very little about it, but want to insult, abuse and malign others, which is really not much more than standard, basic feminism.

Perhaps if you did some research into abortion, you might be able to post onto forums about abortion.
Posted by Timkins, Thursday, 10 November 2005 3:13:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Due to family illness, I have been away since last Saturday. Wow! The tone of the debate seems to be getting nasty again. What a shame.
Posted by kalweb, Thursday, 10 November 2005 6:40:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Di, can we try an experiment please? You say sorry to the timkins who you made a comment about in a recent post and then everybody since who has chosen to make personal comments about other posters follows on in turn. Then we return to the topic.

That does not mean that anybody has to change their personal views about other posters, rather an acknowledgement that the battle of name calling damages the overall debate.

My concern - I was finding the debate educational. I was learning a bit more about the various view points on this topic and right now I'm losing that in the exchange of insults the thread has become.

Not picking on you with this Di, I would prefer not to have seen the comment about timkins but acknowledge that it wasn't the first negative comment to be posted in the thread. Your comment does seem to be the comment that triggered this skirmish.

If I come across as being unfair to you please accept my apology upfront - no offence intended.

Cheers
R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 10 November 2005 7:08:11 PM
Timkins don't you think most of the women posting on this forum have done research on abortion. Nothing concentrates the mind like being pregnant and having to work through your options one by one and then act upon your decision.

That decision can be the monthly visits to the gynaecologist to have your expanding girth measured with a tape measure culminating in the pain of labour or the disappointment of caesarian section but hopefully the ensuing bundle of joy more than makes you forget the momentary pains of its delivery and will grow into a healthy, happy adult able to fulfill its potential.

Or the decision can be that the time is not right to commit the next 21 years to rearing a child. Then you run the gauntlet or the screaming bigotted right-to-lifers photographing you, invading your privacy, as you make your way to the abortion clinic. All prayer but no responsibility.

The truly unlucky women are those that give birth to an obviously disabled baby, that the [often divorced] social workers tell the mothers to rear despite the fact that 80% disabled children end up living in single parent families. That is, the strain of rearing disabled children in Australian society today will cause marriage breakdown.

And yes, Timkins, I fought for the Menhenet ruling.

By your posts, Timkins, I thought you were at least 35, involved in a bitter custody dispute in the Family Court [deleted for defamation]. But if you are young, get some experience of life before you tell others how to live.
Posted by sand between my toes, Thursday, 10 November 2005 8:04:02 PM
Abortion cuts risk of later blues

PROCEEDING with an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy is more likely to cause depression than having an abortion, a controversial new study has found.

Researchers in the US questioned 1247 women who aborted or delivered an unwanted first pregnancy between 1970 and 1992. The women were interviewed over several years.
The study, published in the British Medical Journal, found that going ahead with an unwanted pregnancy was more likely to lead to depression.
"We conclude that, under present conditions of legal access to abortion, there is no credible evidence that choosing to terminate an unwanted first pregnancy puts women at higher risk of subsequent depression than does choosing to deliver an unwanted first pregnancy," said Nancy Russo and Sarah Schmiege from Arizona State University's department of psychology. They said pre-existing mental health problems were a better predictor of depression, regardless of how the pregnancy was resolved.
Cait Calcutt, the co-ordinator of Queensland-based counselling service Children by Choice, agreed. "Whether women are likely to suffer depression depends on if they've had depression previously," Ms Calcutt said. "Also, there is a greater risk of a woman not coping well if it is a wanted pregnancy that is terminated on the basis of fetal abnormalities.
"However, evidence over the past 30 years shows terminating a pregnancy does not increase the risk of depression and this study confirms that."
The researchers also found that the women in the study who had an abortion had a significantly higher level of education, higher income and lower total family size, all of which were associated with a lower risk of depression
Posted by Felix, Thursday, 10 November 2005 9:03:01 PM
Sand Between My Toes

You fought for the Menhenet ruling.
You would be at least 35.
You are involved in a bitter custody dispute in the Family Court.
[Deleted for defamation]
You should get some experience of life before you tell others how to live.
[Deleted for defamation]

If you object to such statements being made about yourself, then refer the matter to the forum moderators.

I have found it almost universal, that if pro-abortion supporters are questioned about abortion in some way, they will normally do the following:-

a) Immediately launch into abortion propaganda terms (eg “Abortion is safe”, “Abortion is a matter between a woman and her doctor”, “Abortion is a woman’s choice” etc)

and/or

b) Use feminist type techniques (ie. use anecdotal evidence, try and blame it on males, use emotional manipulation, use much name-calling and personal abuse, make up malicious gossip about other people etc).

As well as the above, they will rarely put forward any suggestions on how to reduce the rate of abortion or unwanted pregnancy.

Now why would this be?
Posted by Timkins, Friday, 11 November 2005 10:21:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. 24