The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Addressing the issues on abortion > Comments

Addressing the issues on abortion : Comments

By Amanda Fairweather, published 13/10/2005

Amanda Fairweather argues it is time to have a serious debate on abortion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All
Yes, the article gives mention to the pros and cons in a thinly veiled attempt to ressurect the debate.
It's the pro-lifers who are using every opportunity to generate enough interest to turn the clock back and make it more difficult for women to have access to terminations.
I am in favour of women having access to unbiassed information such as that contained in the article so they can make an informed decision but then having support and access to proceed to terminate if that is their decision.
It is not the business of anybody other than the woman and her Doctor
Posted by maracas, Thursday, 13 October 2005 12:33:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Robert - the only thing I disagree with is that all the speculating on whether the father would be willing to either parent 100% himself or pay half the costs is that simply having the child means a lot of the damage is already done. If pg didn't do any damage, by all means! But the permanent physical damage done by carrying a child to term is too great to ask someone to relinquish all rights to her body for a prescribed period of time.
Also - when does that stop? It is generally agreed that breast milk is best for babies - does forced pregnancy include forced lactation? And if so - for how long? Sure there is formula, but how long til using the bottle is considered cruelty to an innocent?

No - I have to say that males had their chance to decide on a baby when they decided to leave contraception up to the female of the species. Of course a broken condom could be either way, there are always going to be exceptions....but if he was wearing one and it broke you could argue that the intention was no baby so if she decides to abort, it really shouldn't bother him.

As well as the very good point raised about keeping the status quo and pro-choice people being afraid to lose these rights, I think women desperately try to keep men out of the abortion debate because regardless of her personal views, every woman knows she would never want to be subjected to pregnancy against her will.

I don’t think that side of the argument comes into it when men debate the issue – it is purely ‘is it alive?’ which really isn’t the major factor in women deciding whether to have an abortion (IMO).
Posted by Newsroo, Thursday, 13 October 2005 1:16:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Timkins
I am confused. You have indicated elsewhere that you don't believe anything written by a female but you support Amanda who I believe is a female. Could it be that you happen to agree with her views so that means she must be telling the truth.

Amanda
What is the source of the "estimate" (other than the Right to Life) for the reasons why women have abortions? Is it based on a properly conducted survey or research project. If so who did it and where are the results published. In any case it is up to the woman concerned to make the decision to have an abortion and is no business of any one else.
Posted by rossco, Thursday, 13 October 2005 1:30:08 PM
One further issue Australia should revisit is the immigration policy of deporting asylum seekers back to China when they have a legitimate fear of forced sterilisation and abortion.
Posted by Tieran, Thursday, 13 October 2005 2:34:37 PM
Thank you Amanda

A frank, open, thoughtful, balanced and well written article. It must be really good because Timkins liked it!

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Thursday, 13 October 2005 4:25:27 PM
Amanda's article is well written, I will pick up on 2 points.
One, that 84% of women abort because they can't afford to go to term or having a baby would effect their career or study.
Two, that Australia's population is in decline.

Timkins points out that usage of Organen (hormone implants) is very low. I have heard of it used in mining towns but the side effects were considered pretty dire. No periods for 18 months. Woohoo!
Leslie Cannold pointed out that RU486, the morning after pill is also not avaialble in Australia.

I would like to see Australian women given better contraceptive choices like access to Organen and RU486.

Having read stories about the abuse of children in orphanages, I am convinced that rearing children in institutions does not equip children to become effective adults in modern Australian society. A rough calculation of the numbers of abortions vs the potential number of adopted parents indicates there would be many children placed in orphanages.

Every pregnant woman makes plans for her child's future and when the woman realises that she will be unable to rear the child properly then abortion ought to be an available option.

Who benefits from a woman stopping work to go on the single parent's pension to raise a child in poverty?

The government needs to introduce policies to counter the falling Australian population. At the moment young people are about 30 before they get a permanent job where they can pay back their HECS debt, leave mum and dad and look for a life partner. I sincerely hope they are policies that promote/support the well being and stability of family units [however they are configured] but I fear the policies may be banning abortion and forcing women and children into miserable lives.
Posted by sand between my toes, Thursday, 13 October 2005 5:42:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy