The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Public funding for ABC News is no longer defensible > Comments

Public funding for ABC News is no longer defensible : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 6/6/2013

ABC news and current affairs present the same pro-Coalition coverage of national affairs as the corporate news media.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
This is the funniest article I have read in a long time. The author would have to be further to the Left than Chairman Mao to see pro-coalition threads in the ABC.

In fact, as the demise of the Labor Party looms on the horizon, the ABC is constantly plugging the Australian version of the Guardian where I suspect their journos will reassemble awaiting the arrival of their buddies from Fairfax who fear the imminent arrival of Gina R.

Constantly pushing of their Left wing agenda has scared the pants of those who now see those they criticised so heavily coming to take power.
Posted by Atman, Thursday, 6 June 2013 2:47:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yes well the smirking Tony Jones will be crying come September along with 85% plus of his stacked panel. All their propoganda and misreprentation has come to nought.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 6 June 2013 2:58:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan says: “the speech was soon dismantled systematically by analysts outside the mainstream media. These included Bernard Keane at Crikey, Alan Kohler at Business Spectator, Ben Eltham at New Matilda, Helen Hodgson at the International News Magazine and an observer in France at On Line Opinion.”

That “observer in France” being, of course, Alan

Are we supposed to be persuaded by this?
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 6 June 2013 3:06:02 PM
As for the title of the thread, I reckon that the ABC and SBS should be flogged off, and the nest of greenies flushed out.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 6 June 2013 3:30:24 PM
Apsley. Yep, liked that. Mind if I plagiarise that into the future?

The ABC supporting the coalition? What planet is this guy living on?

Since the cruel, sexist, and deeply personal and artless tasteless tirade against Gina Rinhard on Q&A some time back, I have ceased to watch any current affairs program's on the ABC.

I wonder if the ABC and SBS news departments have been able to figure out the possible motivation of the murderers of the British serviceman yet.

The organisation is beyond redemption as a 'news' outlet. Sell the lot and maybe keep the kids programming.
Posted by Prompete, Thursday, 6 June 2013 3:39:53 PM
Interesting discussion. Thank you.

Some responses:

@Rhrosty, re “If Aunty is privatised, there remains the social media”

Correct. This is why few will lament the ABC’s eventual break-up and sale.

@James O'Neill, re: “you have largely confined your criticism to the ABC's non-critical stance toward the Coalition”

Correct, James. And specifically regarding the economy.

Re: “whatever the current official version is is simply parroted without analysis, insight, or even reflection of reality.”

Yes. The problem, I suspect, is that with Murdoch’s criminal empire the biggest employer of Australian journalists, few are courageous enough to challenge its agenda. Hence the lock-step.

Re: “I do not think that privatising the ABC is the answer because it will simply become another commercial clone.”

Will become, James? Or there already? The newsroom would certainly appear to be. Not sure about other departments.

Re: “The real solution … strengthening of the alternative, mainly online, media.”

Agree completely.

@Praxidice, re: “True freedom of expression allows everyone their say, whether or not we agree is immaterial.”

Yes and no. Are you distinguishing between opinion and factual reportage? We must certainly defend freedom of opinion and ideas.

But do we want to defend the rights of newsrooms to fabricate and deceive? Or should news and current affairs outlets report what is actually said and done?

@Pelican, re: “The fact that both the Left and Right are lamenting bias at the ABC means it must be doing it's job.”

Is this still true today, Pelican? Are concerns with ABC News matters of Left and Right? Or matters of truthfully reporting actuality?

@Diver Dan, re: “View the ABC not as a source of information and news, but a conveyor belt for propaganda direct from parliament in Canberra.”

Perhaps that's the key issue, Dan. The dominant news organisations – Murdoch, Fairfax, ABC – are actually refusing to be a conduit from Canberra. Rather, they are observing what the Government is doing and saying but reporting something else entirely. Sometimes the direct opposite of the truth.

No?

@Rhian, re: “Are we supposed to be persuaded by this?”

On its merits, Rhian.

Cheers,
Posted by Alan Austin, Thursday, 6 June 2013 4:11:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14