The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Public funding for ABC News is no longer defensible > Comments

Public funding for ABC News is no longer defensible : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 6/6/2013

ABC news and current affairs present the same pro-Coalition coverage of national affairs as the corporate news media.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
ybgirp

Everyone on this planet is, or at least should be, free to decide exactly with whom they wish to associate. For reasons I've described that make perfect sense to me, I choose not to go out of my way to associate with queers. As far as I'm aware, I've yet to fail to recognize a queer although there is always the possibility a particularly discreet one could slip by. Given the prevailing 'political correctness' & attendant 'coming out', I believe thats a very long shot. The ones I dealt with in business invariably put their cards on the table right at the start, and this helped their case immeasurably. I recall one particular individual who was so high profile in his industry (entertainment / hospitality) that I seriously doubt anyone in Australia with any involvement in the industry wouldn't know him, nevertheless he went to great lengths to let me know exactly where he stood. I appreciated that & it clearly went along way toward establishing the trust necessary for mutually rewarding business dealings. I've long since ceased to have any interest in that area, consequently I don't deal with the many totally honorable queers involved therein.

The slimeball queer I mentioned would definitely convince even the most fanatic homosexual supporter to re-think their position, likewise the vast majority of the lesbians I've encountered. It may well be that these individuals were not typical of their kind & no doubt there are plenty of 'undesirable' straights out there, however given that my present situation (small close-knit community with many common interests) isn't in any way conducive to either homosexuals or slimeball straights, its unlikely that I'll have much need to concern myself with what either mob want or don't want. It should, nevertheless, be obvious why I won't go out of my way to support the homosexual fraternity in general ... individual situations will be assessed on their merit.
Posted by praxidice, Sunday, 9 June 2013 10:13:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Praxi/ybgirp, you’re OT and diverting the thread. You need to leave space for Alan to respond.

The problem Alan has created for himself is that he remains insistent that the cause of all this negativity is the media. By implication he is suggesting that Australians are not capable of making our own decisions and are driven by the media.

I think the majority of Australian’s are well equipped to draw their own conclusions in spite of a much diversified range of media opinion. I think Australians have done just that, made up their minds.

In the end it might not even be about perceptions, it might just be that some have no defense filters at all.

I cite this comment made by Alan earlier because it’s interesting.

<< We see clearly that growth through the Howard years was ordinary – about average in the OECD – but during the Labor years excellent – almost best in the world! >>

These “ordinary Howard years” they paid off $94 Bn in ALP debt, ran surpluses for ten years, put $22 Bn in the bank and $40 Bn in the future fund?

Conversely, during these “excellent ALP years” they funded their policies by spending the $22 Bn left them in the bank, mortgaging our children’s future by massive borrowing and never delivering a surplus. It’s truly amazing what you can do with $300 Bn of borrowed money?

What we can read into his unsubstantiated response, is that if Alan were to respond to each of the listed issues, he would find each a positive achievement but fail to substantiate that.

The reason for this would be because he has no defensive filters to protect him from nonsense. Just an ideological framework within which today’s political reality does not fit.
Posted by spindoc, Sunday, 9 June 2013 2:18:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
spindoc

I don't doubt that Howard & Co were infinitely more capable money-managers than KRudd / Gillard, however I have the gravest of misgivings about the prospect of a RAbbott / Hockey event. The extent of the present financial poo, unstable international situation, declining revenues & general dissatisfaction with RAbbott himself don't augur well for a federal LNP event. The Queensland LNP have experienced the quickest & most dramatic fall from grace of any government in living memory & its highly likely a federal equivalent would prove to be more of the same.
Posted by praxidice, Sunday, 9 June 2013 9:06:48 PM
Hi Praxi,

Sorry to mention this but your red socks are showing.

You are perfectly entitled to have your concerns over Abbott and the Liberals but don’t base that on something that is clearly untrue.

<< The Queensland LNP have experienced the quickest & most dramatic fall from grace of any government in living memory & its highly likely a federal equivalent would prove to be more of the same.>>

Since we Queenslanders have reduced the ALP to seven seats we intend keeping it that way, in fact we will also do the same to the federal members.

I have no idea where you got this statement from but perhaps you can point us to something?
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 10 June 2013 11:28:20 AM
Praxi,

“LABOR'S efforts (and Praxi’s) to portray Tony Abbott as a Campbell Newman-style leader who would oversee a "slash and burn" government have been dealt a severe blow with the latest Newspoll revealing support for the Queensland Premier has rebounded.

The Newspoll, conducted exclusively for The Weekend Australian, shows voter support for Queensland's Liberal National Party government has recovered, now equaling the levels Mr. Newman enjoyed a year ago, when the party posted its landslide election victory.

The LNP commands a primary vote of 49 per cent, up seven percentage points since the previous quarterly Newspoll survey. Labor, which was decimated at last year's state election and stripped down to just seven seats in the 89-seat parliament, is languishing on 27 per cent, down four points. When preferences are factored in, the LNP has 62 per cent of the two-party-preferred vote, compared to 38 per cent for Labor”.

Time to fess up Praxi?
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 10 June 2013 11:50:56 AM
praxidice are you suggesting that the probability of deep financial problems ahead is a reason to keep Labor in office? Surely not.

Meanwhile I doubt Queenslanders can be too upset with the LNP, when the last poll showed they only a single Labor member would be returned at the federal election. Doesn't really gel to me.

I do find it interesting that it is Rudd, the worst of them, that would be currently returned. I guess the ABCs heavy support is not doing them much good.

Perhaps we are at the end of the useful life of a few institutions, with the ABC & the Labor party leading the race to uselessness. Only time will tell.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 10 June 2013 1:34:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All