The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Public funding for ABC News is no longer defensible > Comments

Public funding for ABC News is no longer defensible : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 6/6/2013

ABC news and current affairs present the same pro-Coalition coverage of national affairs as the corporate news media.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
I suspect this article must be in the style of Ben Pobjie of New Matilda, whose satire is beyond me.
Posted by Peter Bobroff, Thursday, 6 June 2013 9:18:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whether it was intentional or not, this is the funniest thing I have read in years.

The author claims to be domiciled in France. I would suggest he actually lives on the dark side of the Moon.
Posted by cohenite, Thursday, 6 June 2013 9:29:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A sign of the times Alan, tin ears all round and massively manipulated public sentiment?
If Aunty is privatised, well there remains the social media, and far more reliance on it, by many more, for accurate impartial reporting and the odd exposure of corrupt officials?
I am enormously comforted by the knowledge that an Abbott led Govt., will turn back the boats, make a difference from day one, increase defence spending, lower tax margins and massively outperform labour as an economic manager, with endless assistance from the tooth fairy! LOL.
Actually, I predict a recession, climbing unemployment numbers and further reduction of tax receipts; and, a one term Coalition Govt., that changes Australia's most unpopular leader, halfway through its term?
Even so, there is little doubt, we will get the Govt. we so richly deserve!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 6 June 2013 9:31:56 AM
Alan, you have largely confined your criticism to the ABC's non-critical stance toward the Coalition and its spokespersons, but my criticism would go way beyond that. My own interest and relative expertise is in foreign affairs and I therefore claim some ability to assess the ABC's coverage in these areas. To say that it is abysmal is to be kind. When coverage of foreign issues occurs it is almost invariably sourced from a very limited number of (mainly US) agencies.

The depth of coverage and insight into what is really going on is virtually non-existent. Time after time whatever the current official version is is simply parroted without analysis, insight, or even reflection of reality.

Whole areas are simply ignored or when alluded to reflect some long discredited view, completely ignorant of modern scholarship. It matters in my view because Australia blindly stumbles after the US in so many areas and risks suffering major disadvantages in trade, foreign relations, and general respect in the world as a consequence.

SBS is following the same path. I do not think that privatising the ABC is the answer because it will simply become another commercial clone. The real solution possibly lies in the continuing strengthening of the alternative, mainly online, media.
Posted by James O'Neill, Thursday, 6 June 2013 9:40:22 AM
Yeah, lets sell the ABC because of it's pro conservative and anti green and labor bias. The journalists at the ABC will go along with that.
Posted by imajulianutter, Thursday, 6 June 2013 9:55:46 AM
Yeah, lets sell the ABC because of it's pro conservative and anti green and labor bias. The journalists at the ABC will go along with that. Better still lets create a charter that demands non bias and representative views and sack anybody who shows such blatand stupidity.
Posted by imajulianutter, Thursday, 6 June 2013 9:58:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy