The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A dad does matter to a child, whether gay couples like it or not > Comments

A dad does matter to a child, whether gay couples like it or not : Comments

By David van Gend, published 31/8/2011

Same-sex parenting makes children subservient to adults' emotional needs.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
"Marriage and family formation are about something much deeper than civil equality; they are about a natural reality which society did not create..."

Kinda obvious when you think about it...
Posted by rational-debate, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 8:04:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The argument is ridiculous given the state of traditional marriage (and de facto relationships). How many children are living with a sole parent? A household that harbours domestic violence or drug abuse? A household where the weekly income is fed to the pokies rather than being spent on food? I agree that a child deserves caring, loving parents but sadly many do not get them. I would much rather see a child raised by a caring same sex couple rather than the situations I have witnessed where the relationship is between a man and a woman
Posted by Sparkyq, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 8:28:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Marriage is a societal creation.

Redefining marriage to include gay and lesbian couples would hardly weaken the basic idea of a mother and a father for most children.

Heterosexual divorce is the scourge that most affects the basic idea of a child living with their biological mother and father under one roof.

Gay and lesbian marriage would be less significant reasons for a child living without a parent than death of a parent, especially as the average age of parents increases.
Posted by McReal, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 8:32:11 AM
I totally agree. I am thankful I grew up in a family that went through hard and good times together with love, care and commitment to each other. We never had to deal with relationship tensions as most have to deal with today. My father knew what was expected of his family and encouraged its security.
Posted by Philo, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 8:33:11 AM
People who argue for the traditional western idea of marriage, and the idea that a child needs a mother and a father are not bigots - or not necessarily so.

The problem, it seems to me, is that these people have not looked at the many different ways in which other human societies have successfully raised children.

What is the argument that the nuclear family is the best way to organise our society? What happened to the extended family? This type of family provided a variety of male and female role models which is far more usefull than one example of how a man behaves and how a woman behaves.

Kids also need an uncle, a grandfather, an older brother, a younger brother, an auntie, a grandmother, a big sister, a little sister.

I totally agree that a child 'should' have a father figure and a mother figure but these examples don't need to be the biological parents. Penny Wong or her partner may have a father or a brother who can provide the male role model for their child.
Posted by Mollydukes, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 8:56:51 AM
I totally agree with Dr David, "Marriage and family formation are about something much deeper than civil equality; they are about a natural reality which society did not create and which only a decadent party such as the Greens, so out of touch with nature, would seek to destroy".

So Sparkyq and McReal believe the unhealthy state into which many children are born today gives equal right to homosexuals being parents. Rather than deal with the unhappy and evil state of society they pose an equally disturbed state for children, a motherless / fatherless society. They approve of promiscuity and adultery as normal while undermining those that teach in defence of divine relationships of the committed family.

They wrongly assume we approve of the current social conditions that prevail. They do not understand those in society that sponsor pre- marriage counseling, support struggling families with counsel and practical assistance. Until they can contribute to healing this problem they will continue to promote the social decedance that prevails.
Posted by Philo, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 8:57:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy