The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dispelling the myths about school chaplains > Comments

Dispelling the myths about school chaplains : Comments

By Tim Mander, published 12/8/2011

The decision to allow school communities the option to receive federal funding for a chaplain requires some clarity...and a High Court ruling.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. All
Tim is right to say it is a false dichotomy whether chaplains *or* counselors are employed in schools. Perhaps a combination of positions can be intertwined, including social workers and psychologists, as support teams.

The dichotomy being played out though, Tim, is that chaplains be Christian or not. Your place a lot of emphasis on spiritual needs denies an increasing proportion of the wider Australian population who do not envisage Christian spirituality. You emphasis so-called 'school communities' to overwhelmingly selecting Christian chaplains, and that may work in Queensland, but it does not work for entire school communities in many suburbs of Sydney or Melbourne, or even schools in other mixed communities. It also denies the closedness that could occur in the chaplaincy selection process as a result of inherent widespread parental apathy about school administration, or even manipulation by stacking school councils or individual school P & C Assns.

The 'study' that found 98% of principals who had a govt funded chaplain wanted govt funding for a chaplain has a number of faults, including the confimation bias empahsised in this sentence.

Moreover, it is highly inappropriate for you, as 'the chief executive of Scripture Union Queensland', to refer to schools as "our schools". How dare you.
Posted by McReal, Friday, 12 August 2011 10:04:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"A key piece of misinformation muddying the issue is the false assertion that chaplains are there to proselytise."
"About the Author

Tim Mander is the chief executive of Scripture Union Queensland, Australia’s largest employer of school chaplains in government schools. "

Material I've posted previously. The about page has been changed significantly since I've posted this with the detail changes

"Welcome to SU QLD... We're the largest employer of school chaplains in Australia. What makes us tick is that we want to bring hope to a young generation. And we do this through our school chaplaincy service, camps, holiday programs and kids-at-risk programs. Please stick around to find out if we can help you or your family in any way.""
Tim Mander - CEO, SU QLD" - http://www.suqld.org.au/home/

Those who are familiar with evangelical christianity would know what's meant when the term "bring hope" is used.

From the previous version of the about page

"so that they may

come to personal faith in our Lord Jesus Christ,

grow in Christian maturity and

become both committed church members and servants of a world in need." - http://www.suqld.org.au/about/index.php

It's quite clear that "the largest employer of school chaplains in Australia" believes that evangelizing is generally the reason for what they do. The material referenced by others from Access suggests that they hold a similar view.

Removing references to their goals to evanagalise children which were on their website until recently does not change the facts.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/school-chaplains-worked-miracles/story-e6frg6nf-1111118239078

TBC

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 12 August 2011 10:46:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Part 2

I've also seen notes from a document quoting Tim Mander. The link no longer works and I've not seen the original personally.

http://www.suqld.org.au/nscp/files/An
"School chaplaincy has also proven to be a strategic and effective way to connect the local church and school communities. There is the potential for schools, in their haste to take advantage of the current funding, to omit local church involvement. Whilst it takes more time to develop these partnerships, without them the chaplaincy service runs the risk of diluting its purpose and distinctiveness. Now, more than ever, it is critical for Christian communities to be an integral part of the formation and development of SU Qld Chaplaincy Services."

To finish, a short bible quote for those christians who don't have aproblem with Tim's public stance and what he's been telling supporters.
James 5:12
"Above all, my brothers, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your “Yes” be yes, and your “No,” no, or you will be condemned."

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 12 August 2011 10:47:30 AM
The school chaplain policy is a Christian recruitment drive, as is the requirement for religious indoctrination.

This toxic practice should be abolished.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 12 August 2011 10:51:17 AM
Robert & Shadow Minister

I do not get this opportunity often, with you both of you at once, I agree with everything you have posted.

Robert

Excellent work with deconstructing what Tim Mander's agenda is truly about.

Evangelising is not freedom of speech, it is forcing doctrine onto young minds.
Posted by Ammonite, Friday, 12 August 2011 11:09:34 AM
Congratulations on a very noble sounding article on the chaplaincy program. Unfortunately, despite all those kind words, I won't be ever allowed to become a chaplain. Why? Because I happen not to be a Christian. You, Tim Mander, just defended a program that considers people who are not religious to be second class citizens. Not just behind the veil, but openly. It is part of the policy to discriminate against non-religious people like me. There is nothing noble about it.
Posted by Alterans, Friday, 12 August 2011 11:15:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy