The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Grown up girls take responsibility > Comments

Grown up girls take responsibility : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 4/3/2011

Hey girls, let's not waste our energies blaming men. Let's take responsiblity for our own behaviour.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. ...
  14. 35
  15. 36
  16. 37
  17. All
Hopefully, Julia gets your 'no boys allowed' message before she arrives in Washington...imagine being offered Blair House for a 'freshen up' only to discover the joint has been contaminated by a Bootscootin Rodent.
Posted by Wakatak, Sunday, 6 March 2011 7:47:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
vanna,

Squeers made a point earlier that he'd made the distinction that feminism had fashioned for itself a deliberate political agenda for liberation - fair point.
There is no equivalent men's movement because they have always run the show - and they continue to do so. Feminism has only ever sought to co-opt itself into the existing paradigm. The game hasn't changed at all.

I remember long ago at primary school, at lunch times I used to spend half the break playing cricket with the boys - and the other half doing "bin duty" as punishment for "playing cricket with the boys" - which for some reason wasn't permitted.
It wasn't uncommon during these games for some boys to refuse to walk if they'd been bowled out by me - a girl who wasn't really supposed to be participating.

Feminism has merely joined the game - not changed it. You're just frustrated because there isn't a societal equivalent to "bin duty" for the feminist movement.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 6 March 2011 8:38:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sqeers,

I have asked several people on OLO who have carried out denigration and discrimination of men what was the name of the university or school they went to to learn their denigration and discrimination, and all have declined to give a name. I think it is a part of attempting to hide the denigration and discrimination for as long as possible.

To help you open your mind and reduce your bigotry: -

Nearly all inventions and discoveries are made by men.

Nearly everything is built by men.

Nearly every song or piece of music is written by men.

Nearly every major piece of art has been created by men.

And nearly every text book has been written by men.

I think your training has been to only think negatively of men, and to think that women are oppressed by men.

Certainly no school or university in our feminist education system has taught you to open your mind and think any differently.
Posted by vanna, Sunday, 6 March 2011 9:02:01 AM
Poiiot,
"at lunch times I used to spend half the break playing cricket with the boys - and the other half doing "bin duty" as punishment for "playing cricket with the boys""

I really don't believe this, but why don't women develop their own sports?

In our society they have every oppurtunity to do so, but usually wait untill men have developed the sport and developed the equipment and developed the rules and then join in, and then complain that the sport is dominated by men.

Taking responsibility also entails developing something or inventing something, but women rarely seem to develop or invent anything.

As I have noted, only 6 of the last 40 articles on OLO have been written by women, but there seems to be nothing but condemnation of men in our feminist society.
Posted by vanna, Sunday, 6 March 2011 9:16:54 AM
Oh yeah, Jennifer Wilson, there is nothing wrong with pop culture, we are just not “educating” young women to handle their sexuality responsibly. Your premise appears to be, that young women just LOVE to get lectured by priests, parents and social workers about their sexuality.

Could I submit that the visual and audio media are wonderful educators? Unfortunately, the message that they are educating young people with is not conducive to responsible behaviour.

If a parent were to hire a stripper for a child’s birthday party, that parent could be arrested for child abuse. Rather incredibly, pop music executives can beam exactly the same material straight into the family home. Pop music has now morphed from the sexually suggestive, to the sexually explicit, to the outright ribald.

Claiming that it is all the parents fault not monitoring what their children watch is a cop out. To start with, promos for sexy material can come on at any time of the day and can be just as lurid. What is worse is that pop music today is not just endorsing drug abuse and sexual promiscuity; they are actively supporting the notion that violence against women is cool. From the pop group NIRVANA comes the song “Rape Me”, from PRODIGY, “Smack My Bitch Up.”

Women are simply depicted in pop clips as body parts to be looked at, or are shown lusting after some gun totin’ bad boy who treats them like dirt. These clips are engineered to appeal to poor, socially autistic, low status young males, exactly the demographic group who have the most trouble attracting a female, and who are most at risk of copying this behaviour if they do get a girl.
Posted by LEGO, Sunday, 6 March 2011 9:56:08 AM
Vanna !

Will you listen to yourself, slightly re-arranged:

...... (A) women are oppressed by men:

[therefore]

(B) Nearly all inventions and discoveries are made by men.

(B) Nearly everything is built by men.

(B) Nearly every song or piece of music is written by men.

(B) Nearly every major piece of art has been created by men.

(B) And nearly every text book has been written by men.

'Oppression (A) ? Therefore non-performance (B) ?

I wonder .... if A, then B ?

Any possible correlation between oppression of women and suppression of their talents ?

One easy way to demonstrate it (I guess the Popperian way) is to try to falsify that hypothesis, to turn it around slightly:

(C) Over the past few decades, as women have asserted their rights,

(D) Over the past few decades, women have invented, discovered, built, painted, sung and written more than ever before.

QED

Now for the Muslim world :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 6 March 2011 10:01:08 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13