The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Grown up girls take responsibility > Comments

Grown up girls take responsibility : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 4/3/2011

Hey girls, let's not waste our energies blaming men. Let's take responsiblity for our own behaviour.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. ...
  14. 35
  15. 36
  16. 37
  17. All
Well thank you, Briar Rose, that's a relief.
And please keep writing articles; I value the feminist and feminine perspectives.
Just to re-emphasise my point, I believe women have to accept responsibility for their society, and not merely their place within it.
Men are established failures and women can hardly do worse.
Posted by Squeers, Saturday, 5 March 2011 9:01:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Their beliefs [Catholics] seemingly have very little to do with what is normal and natural".

Yabby:

Same old same old......yet another generalisation........among many here by blokes.....
Posted by weareunique, Sunday, 6 March 2011 12:39:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why not surprise the Australian population and try a new line that is refreshingly honest [the honesty beginning with yourselves], heal your hearts from past childhoods, raise your self esteems and then try the honesty approach by looking at past statistics involving responsible behaviour regarding both genders Australian Gentlemen.
Posted by weareunique, Sunday, 6 March 2011 12:44:40 AM
I note a comment from Yabby, speculating on MTR's particular brand of religion. As I understand she's actually proddy, but one of her biggest supporters has been Miranda Devine, a redoubtable culture warrior and also religious, in this case catholic.
Suzeonline, "no one deserves to be raped". Of course.
All Wilson is suggesting is that in this unpredictable world the more savvy learn to follow their wits and nous and leave certain activites and locations alone, given the increased likelihood of unbalanced types ready to resort to GBH or some other mickey finn about, for example as happened with Diane Brimble. Women are not intrinsically stupid or cowardly, Wilson is just suggesting they'll do better if they trust their own judgement rather than relying on someone else to do their thinking for them. Which is a core and liberating element of feminism; consciousness.
Like Squeers, I'm all for discussions on these issues, god knows there is enough misery in the world and anything that contributes to a better understanding and eventual solutions, way to go.
Posted by paul walter, Sunday, 6 March 2011 2:15:48 AM
Sqeers
"Men are established failures and women can hardly do worse."

May I ask what was the university or school you went to so as to be taught to think of men as being "established failures".

You can give the name of that university and school.

Do you also subscribe to the theory that women do nothing wrong, or if a woman does something wrong, it is because a man has made her do it wrong.
Posted by vanna, Sunday, 6 March 2011 6:31:20 AM
Vanna:
<May I ask what was the university or school you went to so as to be taught to think of men as being "established failures".>

I never went to university till I was 42 and was a radical thinker long before that. So no, I won't name the university as it doesn't deserve any credit. Universities are now mostly privatised; they were part of the state's ideological structures before, and now all they're interested in is the bottom line. Genuine radicals would have a hard time getting a job in most private universities (they have to think of PR). Such left-wing views that are ventilated in society generally are part of the co-option process. Capitalism long since rationalised (in its non-thinking way) that 'tis better to commodify radical thought than to suppress it.
As for men being established failures; take a look around this devastated planet, presided over by patriarchies! Then have a look at the rapists and paedophiles and megalomaniacs--running everything from mercenary armies to corporations to nations. Almost all men!
There are good men too, but the point is it's a man's world. Even God(s), who sanctions a lot of this violence, is a bloke.
I spoke to a former acquaintance on the phone the other day and was shocked when he dryly told me he and half a dozen of his mates had just returned from Thailand where they'd been "keeping the girls happy". But then as he said, "they're just commodities over there".
Men comprise the vast majority of violent drunks, they do nearly all the road rage and they kill themselves more often than women.
As a class, men are comprehensive failures.

<Do you also subscribe to the theory that women do nothing wrong, or if a woman does something wrong, it is because a man has made her do it wrong>
Women mainly err in being patronised by this system and in following men.
Posted by Squeers, Sunday, 6 March 2011 7:02:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12