The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Grown up girls take responsibility > Comments

Grown up girls take responsibility : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 4/3/2011

Hey girls, let's not waste our energies blaming men. Let's take responsiblity for our own behaviour.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 32
  7. 33
  8. 34
  9. Page 35
  10. 36
  11. 37
  12. All
*"The unexamined life is not worth living!" said Socrates thousands of years ago.*

Squeers, that is all very well, but of course you know what the human
race landed up doing to Socrates.

I have this habit of judging people by what they do, rather then what
they say and what I see, which includes you, is this mass of contradictions, which is how most people live their lives.

But yes indeed, it makes some feel better about themselves, to
pontificate to the rest of us, that is a human foible too.

So I try to remain a realist, amongst all this self righteous
pontification and I find that I can learn even more about humanity
by reading up about primatology, rather then philosophy and other favoured
subjects at the arts dept of your local university.

If you want a relatively peaceful, matriarchal society, try bonobo
culture. They all have lots of easy going sex and the males thus
have nothing to fight about, or perhaps they are simply too buggered and content with life to bother :)

As to human excess, its virtually impossible to draw an objective
line in the sand, to define it. I will claim that people like you,
who produce a whole tribe of kids, are ruining the planet with excess,
for we can't keep adding a quarter of a million extra mouths each
day without huge environmental consequences.

You could well claim that my Korg Oasys is extravegant, even though
it produces some of the most amazing sounds that I have ever heard.

So we each see the world from our perspective.

Like morality, it is simply opinion.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 14 March 2011 9:47:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fine, Yabby, you know best.
I'll just pull the chain..
Posted by Squeers, Tuesday, 15 March 2011 8:22:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'The perennial question, "how should we live?"
That is what Humanism and the Humanities were all about'

Ba! How should *Others* live is what they're all about.

You're not 'thinking outside the bowl', you live and breath the bowl. You're just like a kid chasing the next big thing. Right on that humanist bandwagon! Are you Buddhist too, that's trendy at the moment.

'you’re incapable of “self-reflexively or self-critically” viewing your “privileged position” in a broader ethical context , or in terms of sustainability or equity. And the selfish “life” you defend is about as spontaneous, meaningful and fulfilling as that “enjoyed” by a well fed meat chicken'

How would you know what I'm 'capable' of? I can see the 'ethical context' sustainability and equity. I just don't care. Neither do you really. You just like the warm fuzzy feeling of pontificating about these things, and think it makes you sound smart and virtuous.

My life is as spontaneous as the next persons. Sure, I don't commit as many random acts of violence as the next nihilist, but I give it a go. From my experience, the people searching for 'meaning' and 'fulfilling' are the most miserable people of all.

Who is smarter, the person who can adapt to their environment, or the malcontent waving a puny fist about and luxuriating in melancholy. Your narcissism is just of a different flavour to the uber-capitalist materialist.

But, you're impotent! That's bloody amusing. So you compensate by conspicuous grandiose altruistic gestures and transference of your inadequacies onto 'society', and nobody likes a self-righteous sad sack. Well formed adults aren't surrounded by such a heavy fog as yours. You think you're onto something revolutionary because you notice turds on the lawn. Smart people scoop it up and stick it in the garden and enjoy the feeling of the grass beneath their feet.

I bet you're the type of person who feels guilty every time you have fun and ruins the mood of Christmas by telling everyone they have no ethics because the toys are made in China.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 15 March 2011 9:31:45 AM
Houellie,

Perhaps there is more behind your own analytical and rancorous attack on a "thinker".

Although you identify with the guy tinkering with his V8, you come across as discontented as the next guy.

You seem mightily pissed off that someone such as yourself has ended up in a 9 to 5 job (where you once mentioned that posting on OLO gave you something to do).

You're sucked into the consumer vortex - free to complain that your wife spends her spare time plotting to spend "Your" hard earned money.

Well, life is to be lived, and because you have chosen the "one size fits all" version, you feel entitled denigrate anyone who dares to think outside the square.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 15 March 2011 10:29:46 AM
Haha.

Everyone's a thinker poirot! Why do you think there is a special class of people called thinkers? ie the lefties are thinkers and the blind consumers and right wingers just aren't thinking.

Or that not everybody contemplates their lot in life and the way the world works. It's really pompous how the ACA watching 'masses' are patronised by you lot. 'Oh, you just cant see the big screen TV is a trap, I just know you'd be 'truly' happy if you played Yahtzee instead. Oh no, but that's made of wood chip, maybe a grand game of charades! With lashings of Ginger beer!

I hate V8s, and I'm not pissed off at my job either. It's the greatest scam of all that I get paid to post shite all day long rather than do actual work. I mention it only to rankle the 'ethical' people and to encourage their judgemental tut tut as it amuses me so.

'sucked into the consumer vortex'
Hey I have a T-shirt with the words Consume.Conform.Obey on it. You'd love it! There's no vortex. My wife's in it I'll grant you. She accepts my analysis of her retail therapy, and admits she is powerless. Or rather she wants to be powerless:-)

It is *our* money. I think if you'd have read my other recent posts you'd appreciate we have a great partnership. My gripe at better homes than yours is all in jest. But, it does support my argument that home improvement is all for the women, and is part of the hidden (deliberately ignored) transfer of money from men to women in the gender pay debate.

Just why do you think you're thinking outside the square by jumping on the Humanist bandwagon? I laugh at the impotence of you lot. Wasting your life espousing grand (unoriginal) theories, and wishing people would just be more like you. The 'enlightened'. It's delusional man.

Your not the first to think that everything has been thought before.

PS: I *am* entitled to denigrate anyone at all. It's a wonderful past-time.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 15 March 2011 11:28:45 AM
Houellie,

I could have bet a million bucks you'd begin your reply laughing - (honestly - I predicted it).

(And, yes, I do realise that you have a great relationship).

Now, we have long established that you consider the rest of us are here for your entertainment...so...moving on.

You are right that it is your prerogative to spend your days posting shite (as you put it) and getting paid for it. Some of us wouldn't consider that a particularly inspiring way to spend their time...but, that is your choice.

Problem is, Houellie, that you are a thinker extraordinaire - you don't fit the template of someone who mindlessly sucks in ACA...you're entertained as you watch it all unfold around you...but you save your strongest vitriol for anyone who offers up any ideas for a seriously alternative paradigm...because you seem to think that no-one should take themselves too seriously. That is your experience of the world - so be it.

Btw - home improvement is about conspicuous consumption - something the whole of society thrives on - not just the ladies.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 15 March 2011 11:59:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 32
  7. 33
  8. 34
  9. Page 35
  10. 36
  11. 37
  12. All