The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia lagging international human rights standards > Comments

Australia lagging international human rights standards : Comments

By Malcolm Fraser, published 18/2/2011

Australia’s failure to restore the rights of Aboriginal people is currently being scrutinised under the Universal Periodic Review process of the UN Human Rights Council

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
Bonmot,

I think you are having a lend of me:) Individual and Suze and some other contributors have far more experience than me, and much more interesting things to say. But hey, thanks anyway.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 22 February 2011 10:08:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jim,

I don't think you can keep using the Theft of Land or Terra Nullius excuses for the behaviour of those poor young people in northern and remote communities - precisely in those areas,they are likely to have access to their own lands, and have had for forty years now, well before they were born in most cases.

Meanwhile, in the south or settled areas, people lost control of their land more than 150 years ago, yet have picked themselves up, on the whole, and got on with coping with life around them, whatever it threw at them.

Surely it would be closer to the truth to see those young people as bored sh!tless, unskilled, uneducated, illiterate, with poor English (i.e. the lingua franca), with very poor understanding ofthe world around them, and the dreadful role models of their own parents and elders boozing and fighting - or sitting around, bored sh!tless as well - all bloody day.

What have we done to people ? What have they done to themselves ? How can people get back the sense of responsibility that ordinary humans are expected to possess ? How can they join the rest of common humanity ?

No, it's not all smooth sailing for people in the south, or in settled areas: even graduates often get pigeon-holed and confined to de facto segregated Indigenous units.

One wonders when Indigenous people will truly be recognised as full and equal human beings, with full human potential and full human responsibilities. The day will surely come.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 22 February 2011 10:25:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jo Says,
"I don't think you can keep using the Theft of Land or Terra Nullius excuses for the behaviour of those poor young people in northern and remote communities - precisely in those areas,they are likely to have access to their own lands, and have had for forty years now, well before they were born in most cases."
I wonder how you, your children and Grandchildren would react today had the Japanese been successfull in their attempt to take over Australia? Maybe down The creek with a carton of beer with our Aboriginal Australian Brothers and Sisters ?
They have some land ,but there are many thousands of Aboriginal People of working age and they would prefer to live in their own country .
Cattle stations owned by single white families are hundreds or 1000's of Sq.Kilometres each - these are the sizes required for whitefella lifestyle! Is that what you want for them ?
We had better start buying up the good land with the best water .
The Best of Aboriginal [ex] land is owned by white and overseas Companies and mustered by Helicopters ,not manpower .Have a look at any map .
I think Housing and Health are the most important achievable and usefull factors for Aboriginal People - not an illusory whitefella lifestyle with an Education to nowhere and bring work to them .
Posted by kartiya jim, Tuesday, 22 February 2011 11:43:23 AM
Jim,

Try to read what people write before you pre-judge what you think they might have written.

Then get back to me :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 22 February 2011 12:34:06 PM
I did say work was not in the indig; colture. I was referring to the indig; of 250 years ago. That is where their colture is.
There is black indig; and every other shade to white. The whiter the indig; the more common the schooling and university attendance.
Those camps in the NT are black indig; They talk their own lingo, That is why i say nothing has ever changed, Isn't this the indig; communities we are talking about
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 22 February 2011 1:44:41 PM
No matter how justified people are to claim discrimination the claims are by large exploited as excuses which then makes their claims just as hypocritical as those against whom the claims are aimed.
This claim & counterclaim industry won't fade until some people gain a sense of responsibility & others gain some decency & still others gain some give rather than take mentality which excludes blaming everyone else.
The middle of the road people are fine, it's the each end extreme bleaters that are the cause of no harmony.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 23 February 2011 1:31:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13