The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Victoria, religious freedom and those that don't get it > Comments

Victoria, religious freedom and those that don't get it : Comments

By Danny Stevens, published 18/2/2011

Oppressing employees religious freedom is not an act of religious freedom.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
But religion can only survive in mental isolation. Surround yourself with people who are capable of questioning your most deeply held beliefs and sooner or later you will start questioning them too. This is simply self-preservation at work. (It is no coincidence that the most fundamentalist and bloodthirsty cults develop in the most isolated regions.) By cutting their believers off from the outside world the churches in the West may manage to survive for -- what, another decade?
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 18 February 2011 6:27:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If religious groups were operating entirely on their own I'd agree however that's not the way it works.

There should be no exemptions where tax breaks are accepted or where public money forms part of the budget. Church run schools get a lot of tax payers money, church related activities get a variety of tax breaks and rate breaks at the exense of those who don't share their faith.

I also don't think that there should be any exemptions for activities involving children, reinforcing artifically false views of human sexuality on impressionable children is abuse, not religious freedom.

I want the religious freedom not to have to subsidise the activities of religious organisations spreading their messages.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 18 February 2011 7:05:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well.. we didn't have to look far to see why this Author is seething with Anti Christian hatred, fear and odious loathing.

"Danny Stevens.. Member of the Greens"!

//FIRST they claim the right not to be criticised as being a right to religious freedom. There is no such right. Blasphemy laws suppress the right to free speech. If a faith cannot stand up to criticism it is not a strong faith.//

WHO claims that right? It's not the Christians ..it's the MUSLIMS!

//SECONDLY they claim the right to be appart and not to have to encounter other faiths and so on.//

What-the? Greens policy

http://greens.org.au/policies/human-rights-democracy/international-relations

Greens believe that: #4 ALL peoples have the right to self-determination.

OR...... do they now?

//THIRDLY they claim a right to withold employment or service from those that do not pass religious orthodoxy tests, or moral tests.//

and you better believe it! We absolutely and unashamedly and UNcompromisingly defend the absolute RIGHT to maintain and practice our Faith free from state or GREEN interference!
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/cohrara2006433/s14.html Victorian Charter of Rights.. section 14

(1) Every person has the right to freedom of thought, conscience, religion and
belief, including-

(a) the freedom to have or to adopt a religion or belief of his or her choice; and
(b) the freedom to demonstrate his or her religion or belief in worship, observance, practice and teaching, either individually or as part of a community, in public or in private.

Note "as part of a community"

Sorry Danny, your loathesome attack on and hatred of Christians and your Christaphobia are not even thinly disguised.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 18 February 2011 11:40:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Danny's Dictatorial (true Green) nature comes out here:

//I don't believe they gave the Baillieu government a mandate for this change. I would say to the people of Victoria that you need to make the government aware that you don't agree with their stand.//

yeah...right.. 'YOU' might not believe that, but if you even half knew of a fraction of the work and lobbying done by 'us' to overturn your Green/Progressive INQUISITION and your Green/Progressive 'STAR CHAMBER' giving the HREOC a 'new POWER'....to INITIATE investigations withOUT any complaint... you might get a glimpse of just how strong the feeling is in the community.. AGAINST such things.

The problem is.. most people never had a CLUE about that unvoted for Green/progressive/Marxist change to our law but I can tell you one thing...when they FIND OUT about it they are horrified. And trust me...I'm doing LOTS of telling.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 18 February 2011 11:45:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Attacking Danny shows your ignorance and bias against free expression and even scientific progress. Evolution explains the diversity and distribution of life on earth, the Bible does not. It is an ancient work of fiction supported by many people as Danny said who stick their finger in their ears and go la la la not listening.

This is fine to be ignorant, but do not impose your ignorance on the rest of us. Oh! but the legacy of the Bracks/Brumby government is the Racial and Religious Vilification Act. Six months jail for severe ridicule of a religion, this law conflicts with the Clayton's Victorian Human Rights Act and violates international Human Rights Charters. I am a Greens supporter, no surprise there, they are the only party who support science and Freedom of thought. My expose of the Victorian Racial and Religious Vilification Act is below as I will passionately fight for the right to not be dominated by narrow minded religious views which impede science and free expression which stinks of the ignorant la la la not listening mindset.

They do not mind their own business and leave us be, we have holier-than-thou politicians like Senator Conroy (The alter boy) pushing for laws to filter everything on the internet, an ignorant bully sucking up to Jim Wallace and the Christian lobby for electoral support. If you believe in science and evolution, there is only one party you can support, the Greens, well done Danny.

http://www.hereticpress.com/Dogstar/Religion/Vilification.html#religion

Tim Anderson
Posted by Tim Anderson, Friday, 18 February 2011 12:59:00 PM
Interesting, Tim:

Assuming you represent the Greens, I have a few questions for you:

Do the Greens support the suppression of religious freedoms in the name of science and evolution?

Do the Greens idea of Freedom of thought include the freedom to think religiously, or even unscientifically?

Do the Greens idea of Freedom of expression include the freedom to live your life, minding your own business within your own small community while refusing to mix with the general Australian community?

Do the Greens consider Evolution as a mere scientific fact, or also as something that must be actively pursued?

Thank you.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 18 February 2011 2:21:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy