The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Victoria, religious freedom and those that don't get it > Comments

Victoria, religious freedom and those that don't get it : Comments

By Danny Stevens, published 18/2/2011

Oppressing employees religious freedom is not an act of religious freedom.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All
Good old ALGOREisRICH has demonstrated quite nicely the blunt, evil stupidity of the position that I am arguing against.

1) He starts off attacking the person, not the arguments. A typical piece of illogic from his side of the divide. "Oh my, Danny is a member of the Greens. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth!"

2) He blames muslims for trying to stop criticism of religion. They certainly do try, and they have pushed for blasphemy laws to come into play world wide. So have the catholics, and many other christian sects. ALGOREisRICH would, it seems, also like some kind of gag mechanism to restrain people from criticising his version of christianity and its influence on politics.

3) He seems either to be unable to read or is purposely misconstruing my comment, that religious groups wish to form isolated ghettos of true believers. I noted that if that is what they want to do, and they can find somewhere to do it, then fine. I agree with the Greens that ALL peoples have the right to self-determination. That is why I say people should not be pulled unwillingly into such ghettos.

4) He carries on like a rabid terrier about freedom of religion, entirely missing the point that imposing religious tests on others is religious oppression.

5) The fact that a lot of work has gone in to trying to impose religious oppression does not lend that work any merit whatsoever.

6) The rest of his disturbing rant is just name calling and spewing of bile. I would hope nobody reading it is swayed by such rubbish. I wont even bother to defend myself against the slurs, they are transparently foolish.
Posted by Dan Dare, Friday, 18 February 2011 2:51:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for having a look Yuyutsu, I can't say I represent the Greens, I am not a party member, just a supporter.

The Greens would support free choice for any belief, Jesus was a great role model or the best of Islam some Sufi beliefs are like psychological self study "know thyself" your own faults and errors like a Christian confession and striving to be a better person.

Religion (Historically is has since Copernicus and Gallileo) can impede science lobby groups like The Christian Lobby or the Jewish lobby obscure the truth of science. Believe whatever you want, hopefully though be tolerant of others as you seem to be, anyone can have a go at me for not having faith, as they often do, but that does not mean I don't have values or respect for others.

Unscientific thinking can be a problem when it direct academic research, it can introduce a bias into the results or experimental design. So long as the bias is managed, funding is disclosed and the sampling and statistical analysis is reproduced by others it would be valid science.

There are enclaves and fringe groups who stay isolated, I would worry about the education the children might receive in some groups, education is a state responsibility, so if a religious school started teaching that man and dinosaurs co-existed I would be troubled by that.

Evolution is a scientific theory that has been proved over and over again by genetics and archeology, just one mammal skeleton from the Cambrian period would disprove evolution, it has stood the test of time and been proved over and over again, one essence of a scientific theory is that it can be disproved, evolution is such a theory, but the Bible and faith cannot be tested or verified.

I am not sure the Greens have a specific policy on evolution, they do seem to accept science more than Liberal or Labor, they seem to welcome me as a questioning heretic while there is no place for me in the Liberal or Labor party.

Thank Yuyutsu Bless you :-)
Posted by Tim Anderson, Friday, 18 February 2011 5:14:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Welll...nothing quite get's my 'terrier' blood going more than the opportunity for a good verbal 'exchange' with a Green.

Though I find it a bit curious that me calling you out on "is a member of the Greens" is somehow in your mind, tantamount to "attacking the person not the arguments"

Well.. if you take being called "a Green" as a personal attack.. so be it.
Moving on.. you THEN say I didn't address your arguments...yet I listed them one by one. (you do read don't you?)

I simply showed you for what you and your Watermelon mates are really on about.

I also happen to have rung a number of Green Parliamentarians and a sizable number from Labor PRIOR to the Green/Labor imposition of draconian hateful anti Christian laws in the EOC Reform Act. We KNEW what you are on about way before it was passed.. and the EVidence is in how WE were treated by a hateful bunch of people and a kangaroo court even with the present law.
The NEW law would take us back to the Dark ages and to 'Star Chamber' Orwellian "ministry of truth" territory and THAT is why the Coalition which now has the numbers in BOTH houses will not only abort that law, but also 'deal' with the Chairperson of the Vic Commission.
"Bigotry OUT"
"Fairness and equality IN"

In my view, the Greens hate Christianity because the parties leader is a homosexual and the Bible utterly condemns homosexual behavior, and it's members appear to think the same way about Christians. (let their VOTEs be on their heads)

FYI.. 'we know' where you are trying to take our society, and it is a very very evil bad place. Your destination is like the big bad wolf dressed in Grannies clothes. Deceptive and ravenous.

PS.. be careful what you say about our faith and Christians.
*you have been warned*
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 18 February 2011 7:58:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@ Tim Blair

Hi Tim,

you say: //Attacking Danny shows your ignorance and bias against free expression and even scientific progress. Evolution explains the diversity and distribution of life on earth, the Bible does not.//

1/ "Attacking Danny" I said

"this Author is seething with Anti Christian hatred, fear and odious loathing." I then...connected this with his membership of the Greens.

Why would I say those things? hmmmm well maybe.. because I've FELT that loathing and overt attacks in the GREEN sponsored/supported EOC Reform Act....which they ALL voted for. Had it not been for divine providence in changing the culpable Labor/Green government.. we would have gone back to the dark ages.

I did not 'attack' him..I showed his true colors based on very real evidence.

2/ "shows your ignorance and bias against free expression and even scientific progress."

errr...what was that you were saying about 'attacking' people ? :)
But what you said was much more serious. You seem to be suggesting that Christians are not mentally capable of understanding science.
But I absolutely support free expression, however..if I don't like what's expressed..OR..what lies behind it.. I'll give it a serve as I think fit.

3/ Evolution explains the diversity and distribution of life on earth, the Bible does not.

Huh ? Evolution? Oh I love this-

DARWINS book "Origin of the Species by Natural Selection" or.. the alternative inside cover title "Survival of the PREFERRED races in the struggle for life"...ooopsy......

The logical extension of Darwinian evolution is:

a)Humanoids developed differently in different place at different times.
b) It thus follows that some (like all species) are more developed than others. (wooo..danger signs)

c) It further follows that some are SUPERIOR in intelligence and ability annnnd...that others are 'inferior'.(YIKES.. is that Joseph Goebells I see?)

d) SO.. EVOLUTION is the basis for RACISM.

/continued- next post
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 18 February 2011 8:09:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AlGore,
"..the Greens hate Christianity because the parties leader is a homosexual and the Bible utterly condemns homosexual behavior" has to be one of the most bigoted and narrowminded comments from you so far (and there have been many).

The Bible also "utterly condemns" the eating of shellfish or the wearing of two different types of cloth but you're yet to imply anybodys hatred of a belief system based on that comparison.

However you've clearly demonstrated your own.
Posted by rache, Friday, 18 February 2011 8:27:29 PM
Oh dear Boazy/AGIR at it again, and you STILL can't get the goddamn title right! It is:

On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life.

It's not just about humans.

Oh I read another chapter recently:

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Recognise it?

You're a terrible Christian. But at least they'll have you.
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 18 February 2011 8:48:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy