The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The whale in the room > Comments

The whale in the room : Comments

By Debbie Garratt, published 11/7/2014

The bewildering aspect of it to me is that a single whale takes up 10 minutes of my news watching time yet when figures about late term abortions of viable healthy babies are released, nobody wants to talk about it.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Perhaps if the people attempting to save the whale had been required to take it home and look after if for eighteen years, they might have been a bit less enthusiastic, do you think? But the nice thing about whales is that once they get back in the sea they can look after themselves. Babies can't; so the decision whether or not to have a child rests quite rightly on the person whose body it currently occupies and who will have the responsibility of looking after and raising it.

If you and your religiously-inclined friends were prepared to offer, say, $100,000 to any expectant mother as a reward for keeping and raising her child, I'm sure that would make a significant difference. But none of you seem to be ready to do that; it's always other people's money and other people's time that you feel should be sacrificed to the sanctity of your views. How about you put your money where your mouths are?
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 11 July 2014 7:22:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ITS FUNNY*[no not you/but me
i got a whale tweeter message in my INBOX this morning
but last nigHT WATCHED it be set free

POINT BEING YES THIS WHALE ISSIE
vesus the other issue/where since the vietnam war
over 50 million yanki born kids murder by aboRTION[but its mainly blacks africans hispanics/in an effort to cll them down/by feiging to care ye doing murder

by teir works will we know them
Posted by one under god, Friday, 11 July 2014 8:10:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Perhaps if the people attempting to save the whale had been required to take it home and look after if for eighteen years, they might have been a bit less enthusiastic, do you think? '

Jon J with the usual dogma that comes for those justifying murdering babies. He of course knows how many are waiting for adoption.
Posted by runner, Friday, 11 July 2014 9:15:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It would be much more preferable in not conceiving in the first place.
Posted by ateday, Friday, 11 July 2014 9:20:47 AM
...My view on this subject is probably a little left-field. I wish people would put similar enthusiasm shown towards whales, into caring about the declining shark populations.

...As an aside for an anecdotal view of the whale population on the east coast of Australia, they are now so prevalent as to be a boating hazard.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 11 July 2014 10:26:00 AM
Be assured, Ms Garrett, it isn't just your hobby-horse that goes missing from the "news".

You can sit through a whole thirty minutes of your average "nightly news" broadcast, and be entirely unaware of the plight of Syrian refugees...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/08/women-head-quarter-syrian-refugee-families

...or the trauma in Iraq...

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/19/world/meast/iraq-refugee-statistics/

...and so on.

Of course, I wouldn't dream of being so uncharitable, as to ascribe your choice of news-gone-missing to your religious beliefs.

But I'd come close.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 11 July 2014 12:59:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy