The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The whale in the room > Comments

The whale in the room : Comments

By Debbie Garratt, published 11/7/2014

The bewildering aspect of it to me is that a single whale takes up 10 minutes of my news watching time yet when figures about late term abortions of viable healthy babies are released, nobody wants to talk about it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I'm sorry Debbie, but I have to disagree.
While I personally never saw or knew of any late term non-medically related abortions, I realise they do happen...rarely.

' Psycho-social' reasons are predominantly mental health problems.
Are you suggesting mental health problems are not medical reasons for late term abortions?

Did every one of the very few late term (3rd trimester...after 30 weeks gestation) abortion women really explain their reasons for such a procedure?
The only person they need to explain this to is their doctor, and the doctor is not always allowed to disclose these reasons.

Maybe these women didn't even tell the truth behind their need for these really awful late term abortions. How would you know?
So, you are making really big assumptions here aren't you?

You decide what you want to do with your own body, and give other women the same choice.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 13 July 2014 1:23:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suse,

You claim to have never heard of a knitting needle being used for very late term abortion yet you say that women no longer need to have resort to this tactic, so it seems that you must have heard of it.

I have seen a perfectly formed still born baby, dead from a small puncture in the cranium, I was only the driver of the jeep that rushed the mother to a Field Hospital but I saw the dead baby and talked to the nurses; they were not happy.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 13 July 2014 8:21:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
' Psycho-social' reasons are predominantly mental health problems.
Suseonline,
Yes again & they're policy/authority induced but we never get hear from those bureau rats responsible do we ? They can get people into great difficulty with impunity & their victims get persecuted. Ah yes we live in the greatest country on earth. Actully we do, it's the many Left Wing morons who are ruining it for all of us including themselves but they're too stupid to see it. Do they perhaps get off on some perverse, masochistic sense of satisfaction by seeing everything wrecked ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 13 July 2014 8:25:01 AM
@suseonline. There is no evidence to support a claim that mental health problems make up even a significant proportion of psychosocial abortions. In Victoria there is no requirement to report a specific reason so we wouldn't know, however if we look at those places where reasons are reported, this isn't the case.

Having said that, if in fact this large number of women were presenting mentally ill, we need to question why an abortion provider is assessing and 'treating' them with an abortion, rather than them being treated for their mental health issue. I have worked on an acute mental health facility where mentally ill people have presented demanding that a finger or leg be removed, yet we don't send them to an orthopaedic surgeon for assessment and treatment. What does this say about their rights and bodily autonomy?

The fact is that abortion is not just another 'health' issue, otherwise it would be dealt with using similar guidelines, but it isn't. There is also no evidence at all that termination has a mental health benefit, yet vast and growing evidence that it can have a negative mental health impact, especially at these later stages of pregnancy.
Posted by Debbie Garratt, Sunday, 13 July 2014 9:35:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is also no evidence at all that termination has a mental health benefit,
Debbie Garratt,
I don't know what world you live in because in mine not having to worry about an unwanted child counts pretty big in the mental well-being of women.
Don't you ever think of others as not being as fortunate as you & therefore are forced to take such drastic measures ? Economics play the most vital part in our lives today & children do cost money & if you don't have the money you get accused of neglecting your child & then some morons from some moron department make your life hell. I have no qualms about an abortion if the outcome is to avoid all the afore-mentioned. Especially the part with the morons.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 13 July 2014 10:53:42 AM
Is Mise, I repeat, I personally have never dealt with such an abortion, but I know they exist of course. There are many bad people in the world, but that doesn't mean we ban safe, legal abortions.

Debbie, I see where you are coming from, and I am not pro abortion at all. In fact I doubt I could ever have one myself. However, I don't presume to speak for others.

I would respectfully suggest that if a woman and/or her partner request a late term abortion then there must be something terribly wrong in their lives, wouldn't you think?
I would suggest some mental or physical health problems must exist, or else they are just awfully selfish, which must surely be rare.

In any case Debbie, carrying on about the thankfully very few late term abortions is a tactic pro-life supporters often resort to when pushing their anti-abortion barrow, and I would suggest trying to better the health and lives of the many thousands of unwanted children already living in the world today would be a better pursuit...
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 13 July 2014 11:15:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy