The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should Society Protect Old People From Themselves?

Should Society Protect Old People From Themselves?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Paul1405,
You forgot that a couple who became elderly are responsible for the mistake of bringing you into into our World !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 13 November 2022 9:52:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
you never added a rider that it should only involve the 8% of unemployed young people.
Paul1405,
You'd better read my posts on the subject again ! You're misinforming AGAIN !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 13 November 2022 9:55:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aviation has some of the best checks and balances out there.
Medicals are conducted yearly for all pilots. This includes medical and mental assessments.
For Commercial aviation the checks are more rigorous.
For the two gentlemen involved in the incident their age is irrelevant, they would have been certified fit to fly and would have the experience to self regulate their fitness to fly.
As a commercial pilot with 30+ years and many thousands of hours in my logbook I can say aviation is a risky business whether one is young or old, experienced or inexperienced. I have had my moments and become a member of the "oh s##t" club on a few occasions.
The incidents I went through were in no way related to my age or experience. In aviation sometimes the odds and circumstance stack up against you sometimes with ultimate consequence.
Pilots accept that and manage as best we can.
Posted by ViolentEntropy, Sunday, 13 November 2022 12:49:00 PM
Forgotten were many other things that could be considered dangerous for older folk, such as chain saws, hatchets, axes, chisels, screwdrivers, sharp knives, forks, drinking glasses, motorised wheel chairs, pedal cycles (both bi and tri) the list could go on of the things that could be construed to be dangerous for the old.
Let’s not forget electricity and flammable liquids and matches/lighters.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 13 November 2022 1:38:30 PM
Cognitive impairment in older adults is common in Australia. There is no reason a person incapable of driving at night, or in the CBD of their local village and can't drive any further than the two clicks to the local God's Waiting Room without a nanny nap, why allow these dangers on the roads at any time.

News flash ttbn there are 20 times more drives under 20 than over 80, maybe they might have more accidents than you old folk. That's about as ridiculous as saying most car accidents in Mexico are down to Mexicans, therefore it proves Mexicans are bad drivers. Your statement about age is absurd. BTW, I favour the driving age being lifted to a minimum of 18 and then cancelled permanently at 80.

I have great concern for the elderly; I have visions of one old soul racing head long down a hill, out of control in his motorised cart, heading towards the creek, sing 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' as he crashes into the stream. And another old fella with a gun, taking pot shots at the neighbours clothesline, thinking he is shooting crows off the telegraph wires. This sort of thing is a great concern to me, as it should be to all of us.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 13 November 2022 2:09:48 PM
Paul

When are you going to face the fact that you are elderly? You must be a laughing stock at the local Green branch. A useful old idiot. Well, maybe useful, maybe not. Your membership fee is probably appreciated.

I'll bet the 16 year granddaughter has a bit of a snigger behind your back, too.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 13 November 2022 3:02:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy