The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should Society Protect Old People From Themselves?

Should Society Protect Old People From Themselves?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
There's all sorts of idiots on our roads. We all know that
and most of us have experienced it as well. However, I am
concerned about elderly drivers. When mum was losing it -
it was difficult - and we had to step in and take over
to prevent her from not only hurting herself - but other
people as well. It was a decision that just had to be made
for all concerned. I'm not saying that all elderly people
are like that - but when someone is clearly not functioning
as they should - someone has to step in - be it family,
health professionals, or the government.

I think annual testing is important.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 12 November 2022 8:52:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My father was required to undergo a driving test in order to maintain his licence (NSW) and I was confident he'd fail thus alleviating me of the need to force him to give it up.

However, due to the WuFlu hysteria, driving assessments were suspended because of the social distancing mania. So he was able to renew his licence even though his doctor was equivocal. Which meant I needed to step in since his dementia was becoming problematic.

Luckily he had a minor accident when he nudged a brick wall and the car needed some repairs. I told him they couldn't get the parts because it was a Korean car and managed to keep him off the road for 3 months.

By the time his car was 'available' again, he'd found that doing without it wasn't such a hardship and getting him to surrender the keys was fairly simple.

Should 'society' intervene? No. I don't trust 'society' to do the best for the individual - 'society' will do what it considers to be the best for society without taking note of the individual.

Should the family, loved ones, significant friends, step in? Absolutely. I know a 95 yr old who is as competent a driver as anyone else on the road, although I suspect 'society' wouldn't make that allowance. My father, suffering dementia and Alzheimer's, was a danger to himself and others. But the family stepped up.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 12 November 2022 11:47:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze,

Well done. We did the same with mum.

It wasn't easy - but we managed to work through it
as you did.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 12 November 2022 11:51:16 AM
If you want driving tests, lets go whole hog, & test every one every say 5 years. There are many licenses issued on the assumption that a doubtfully competent driver will im,prove with experience, so lets retest new drivers after 12 months to see if this happens.

A suitable test would be to show the ability to lap a race track at say 15% slower than a competent driver in the drivers own car, not a race driver, but a competent test driver. Anyone who can not handle their car at moderate speeds should not be on the public roads.

This followed by a motorkhana type test of low speed outmaneuvering, forward & in reverse.

How about a challenge Paul, a few laps of Lakeside, it's up your way. Wouldn't want you driving fast on the public road now would we. If you can get to with in 4 seconds of this 82 year old, we'll let you keep your licence.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 12 November 2022 12:35:55 PM
Hasbeen,
Good ideas,, but you’d put a strain on public transport!
————————-
I have a medical assessment every 12 months and a driving test every 2 years. (NSW)
The driving test is a joke (an exercise for politicians to be seen to be doing something) as it is confined to driving around town, observing the road rules and staying under the speed limits.
No high speed driving, handling under emergency braking, driving in wet conditions etc., nothing that would test a persons abilities.
And there is no test of reaction times and some young people have woeful reaction times.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 12 November 2022 2:03:20 PM
What Paul is not realising is that he wants to make one glove fit all, exactly how the show's been running society into a useless huddle since the big Goaf !
He wants the opposite of what he's proposing but doesn't think far enough ahead & doesn't want others who can think far enough ahead to do so either !
Another thing is that city people are at far greater risk of causing an accident in which others get hurt whereas country folks in general only hurt themselves. We shake our heads in utter disbelief how southern tourists tear through Cape York & leaving a mess on & beside the roads & a few times a year a few don't make it home alive. None of the hoodlums are in their later years.
Posted by Indyvidual, Saturday, 12 November 2022 3:13:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy