The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bent Coppers and Public Oversight

Bent Coppers and Public Oversight

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Hi there INDYVIDUAL... No sir, I would never agree with that. The notion any sworn member would ever get his jollies and kicks, by observing people in trouble is patently wrong. The toughest part of a police officers job, is the dissemination of grief, and the contemporaneous support having done so. It's bloody hard believe me. True, there's a great deal of satisfaction when you pinch a well known crim., I don't deny it. But you're not taking him out of circulation for your own benefit ,rather the public good and it's your job to do so.
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 6 November 2022 3:07:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu,
Either you mis-read or I mis-stated. The gist here is Police Officers good, Coppers not so good !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 6 November 2022 8:12:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
O sung wu,
There was a Constable at Bathurst years ago (1970s) who was a legend for fair play.
If he saw a person about to park illegally he step out and warn them, not wait and then book them.
He was renowned for acting “without fear or favour”; he was normally the Highway patrol and stopped a car that was speeding, the occupants were detectives and expected no problems, he told them, as he booked, that if they had a legitimate excuse then he was sure that the Commissioner would approve.
Bathurst got its first speed recording device so the local detectives took it out to a straight stretch of highway and recorded just how fast their cars would go.
The Constable arrived on scene, seized the recordings and charged the lot of them.
He used to do Road Safety lectures at a youth camp where I worked and he told us that he often caught people speeding on that section of highway and that there was no way he was going to book ordinary people and turn a blind eye on police doing the same.

He was well respected by the local community and they knew that they could depend on him under any circumstances.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 7 November 2022 8:41:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise,
In a nut-shell, a Police Officer !
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 7 November 2022 4:25:33 PM
G'day IS MISE...You're right ther're many good coppers around and when they pull you up for a minor TI, if you wear that tall hat, the one that has writ large, a big 'A' for 'attitude', it'll get you out of more strife than anything else one might contrive.

Coppers are human, consequently some will take out their marital frustrations on the general public. Believe me, when I tell you, those police don't last too long. Either they'll come unstuck with a complaint that IAD will handle; They'll end up in Court; or Their direct supervisor puts the dog on 'em.

Some years back I was attached to the WWP (western wireless patrol). It consisted of a vehicle containing four detectives. In my day it was a Ford 5.8 Falcon pursuit car. Our shift was from 2300h to 0700h the next day.

As part of an ABC TV media programme and their recording set-up. Two of the police members were removed from the vehicle and were replaced with a female reporter together with her cameraman and his paraphernalia, in the back seat. I won't bore you with sundry details of the shift, but we had six or seven serious DMD's (drive manner dangerous), and 1 culpable drive, occasioning death.

Detectives always attend matters involving death, as they do most DMDs. The shift was very much 'ho hum' until the fatal arrived. She was a mess! Even the ambos were running their fingers through the hair trying hard how best to remove her body.

The lady reporter brought-up her breakfast, her tea, and tomorrows lunch, when she saw the raw state of the deceased victim. Some weeks later, after showing the final edited version, she told me she had nightmares, after seeing the state of the victim, she witnessed with us that night. A coppers job is not just handing out TINS and harassing the public INDYVIDUAL It's much more than that my friend. And the worst duty of all, is to inform a mother, a father, an uncle, of the death of one of their loved ones.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 7 November 2022 10:15:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A coppers job is not just handing out TINS and harassing the public
o sung wu,
Of course it isn't & I never implied that. All I keep stating is that there is a difference between Police Officer & Copper ! The former does what needs to be done & the latter is living out his authority which he wouldn't get anywhere else.
A copper is someone who bangs his fist into a meat tray, splattering the mince over others because he couldn't stand that the raffle was won by the same person three times in a row. Off Duty "Police Officers" took him away ! Or, booking a Tradie $142.- because his rubber thongs were unsecured among his tools in the ute or the elderly lady booked because her seatbelt was twisted. See what I mean by this "difference" between Police Officer & Copper ?
It's not my intention to stir you up, I merely point out that the view & perception is always different from 180 degrees ! I couldn't be a Police Officer because I don't think I'd be able to remain as tolerant as Woke Law demands which is after all, the reason for the escalation in all crime !
Posted by Indyvidual, Tuesday, 8 November 2022 8:02:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy