The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Syria & Ukraine

Syria & Ukraine

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
Putin’s forces are doing in Ukraine what they have doing in Syria for the past 11 years. The United States and other nations are much more concerned about what is happening in Ukraine. The main differences that I can see is that Ukraine is in Europe and has a higher proportion of blond, blue-eyed Christians than Syria has.

Has Putin been encouraged to go into Ukraine by the lack of condemnation for what his forces have done in Syria
Posted by david f, Thursday, 28 April 2022 3:02:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
U don't think that Putin needed any encouragement
to go into Ukraine. He sees the Ukraine as part of
the former USSR - and has said that its break-up was a tragedy.
He wants the old empire re-instated. To rule Eastern Europe
unabated. First the Ukraine, then the rest will follow.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 28 April 2022 4:57:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
david f,

Perhaps an understanding of the US actions in Syria and why Russia is there would explain your dilemma.

Russia was effectively invited into Syria by the US. Obama had made his ill-fated 'red line' promises that if Assad used chemical weapons it would be a red line that he and the US would act upon.

Realising that Obama was a paper-tiger, Assad used chemical weapons, leaving the Obamessiah with a problem. The problem was resolved when Putin offered to broker a deal with Assad to get rid of the chemical weapons. That of course never happened.

This saved Obama from having to back down from his red line and Russia got a foothold in Syria. They've been there ever since.

So, if the US was to move to remove Putin from Syria, they'd have to admit Obama's error. And that's a step too far.

There are other differences. Putin is merely supporting a government in Syria. while trying to overthrow one in Ukraine. Putin is seeking to absorb territory in Ukraine but has no such plans in Syria. Putin is threatening other European countries in Ukraine, but there is no such threat in Syria.

Are you advocating the US invade Syria to remove Putin? Or advocating that they stop supporting Ukraine?
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 28 April 2022 5:56:11 PM
Dear Foxy,

I don't think Putin is a fool. I don't think he will act if he can anticipate unpleasant consequences from his action. He apparently wishes to reconstitute the USSR and apparently thinks that is a reasonable goal. If he did not think it was a reasonable goal he wouldn't attempt it. I believe that Putin is a rational person. He is aware of the present disenchantment of many in the US with international affairs. He is aware of the centrifugal tendencies of many in Europe with the European Union. I think Trump's fawning on him has given him confidence.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 28 April 2022 6:12:05 PM
Well as Mhaze explained, it wouldn't be proper to compare Ukraine with Syria, but perhaps with Georgia (although the atrocities there were on a much smaller scale)?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 28 April 2022 6:18:56 PM
Dear mhaze,

I think Trump was wrong in removing US forces from Syria. I advocate continuing to support Ukraine. I am also afraid of a nuclear confrontation. Considering that India and Pakistan, two nuclear powers, fought four wars without using nuclear weapons I hope that the present conflict in Ukraine will also resolve itself without using nuclear weapons. I am afraid that, somewhere down the line, that restraint will be lost.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 28 April 2022 6:23:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy