The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is an Australian

What is an Australian

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All
Yes an Australian is an Australian citizen but
it is not just one thing, it's a great many things
and it's as varied as its landscape. Today our
identity is made up of many cultures from the city
to the bush, across towns, suburbs, and streets.
Understanding our differences and celebrating our
shared values help us achieve social cohesion.
It is our shared history of what has happened over
time and how we choose to confront and acknowledge
the past and the present and strive to do better.

"We are one and we are many and from all the lands
on earth we come. We sing with one voice ..."
I am, You are, We are Australian..."
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 12:32:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise,

Yes. I think some of the republicans think that because someone wasn't born here, is a person of colour, and so on, that they want a republic. Well, they came here by choice knowing how things are, many from republics. They also knew that most people here are white, with Anglo/Saxon/European culture. Some of these people who are always banging on about the racism of the majority culture are insulting the very people they think they are siding with. Most Australians keep their culture for family and friends, while still mucking in with the diverse population. I know I do. I'm a third generation Australian of Celtic/Anglo/Saxon background in that order, but I don't dwell on it because I'm Australian. I cannot fathom why anyone similar - including descendants of the First Fleet, or someone whose forebears came from Nigeria - would feel differently about themselves.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 13 January 2022 12:43:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Those who come here uninvited & then demand the citizens of this Nation bow to their demands are not Australian even after having gained residency & even citizenship !
Those who are so ashamed of their women that they have to cover themselves are not & never will be Australian !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 13 January 2022 1:17:23 PM
Individual,
Muslims are not ashamed of their women far from it!!
I am fortunate in having Muslim friends in India who welcome me into their homes and I see the women face to face and the great majority of the women are truly beautiful, my Muslim mate, of Army days, had four beautiful wives ( now sadly only three)..
They will probably out live him as hes now in his late eighties but still remarkably fit and healthy; probably from living a temperate life and abstaining (usually) from grog.

Foxy,
None the less, despite background, becoming an Australian citizen requires swearing allegiance to Australia and thus its Monarch.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 13 January 2022 2:49:37 PM
Is Mise,

Allegiance was sworn to Australia and her people
NOT the monarch.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 2:57:13 PM
There are two Citizenship pledges:

Pledge 1:

From this time forward under God
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people
Whose democratic beliefs I share
Whose rights and liberties I respect
And whose laws I will uphold and obey.

Pledge 2:

From this day forward
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people
Whose democratic beliefs I share
Whose rights and liberties I respect
And whose laws I will uphold and obey.

You can choose out of the 2 versions of the pledge.
One mentions God and the other does not.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 3:15:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy