The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are zoos good for the animals?

Are zoos good for the animals?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
In zoos animals are often prevented from doing most of the things that are natural and important to them, like running, roaming, flying, climbing, foraging and being with others of their own kind. Freedom is limited and wild animals can suffer physically and mentally from the lack of freedom that captivity imposes.

On the other hand, others argue zoos provide options for conservation of endangered species worldwide, are a place for animals to be away from those who target them in the wild, provide a place to rescue injured animals and provide a space for humans to learn more about animals increasing their respect and knowledge about wildlife.

Some though simply see zoos as places simply there to make money. So are zoos good for the animals? Yes or no and if so why?
Posted by NathanJ, Friday, 23 April 2021 8:52:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If I were a prey species I would much rather live in a zoo than the wild. It is not much different for prey animals.

I saw some statistics recently for the life expectancy of animals in the wild, & in zoos. A fox for example in the wild has a life expectancy of just over 18 months. Domesticated it is more like 10 years.

I went looking for such information when we befriended a very young fox. It was not much more than a puppy when it started coming around looking for any dry dog food the sons cat had spilt. Here it was competing with our magpie family. It was very poor & bedraggled, & with no one keeping poultry in the area he welcomed it.

She became quite tame & visited regularly. She often had bad injuries, probably fighting to hold her territory. She did manage one litter before she disappeared, probably lost one last fight. We reckoned she was just over 18 months old.

I also knew Sir Edward Hallstrom, when he was Founder, patron & director of the Taronga Park Zoo. He had a refrigerator manufacturing business at the time, & I was supplying them ABS plastics for door liners.

He was often not there when I went to see him, & his son used to mildly complain about how much time, & his own money he spent on zoo, when he was needed at the factory. Rather than make money from Taronga, I believe he would have been much wealthier if he had never started the place, or put so much effort time & money into developing it, or simply keeping it going.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 24 April 2021 12:47:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The first zoo was opened 193 years ago for scientific purposes. Since then, zoos have provided knowledge and pleasure for millions of people, as well as saving many many species from extinction. The value of zoos is a no-brainer. Good for animals and human learning and appreciation.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 24 April 2021 6:48:28 PM
I think that its more important and beneficial that we have zoos than if we did not have zoos

I just watched a short YouTube video on animal hybrids.

The Most frightening Hybrids, the existence of which is hard to Believe
http://youtu.be/8-g0SvZc1LA

You know why we have Covid?
Scientists trying hybridise plants and animals, and yes VIRUSES.

What do you think happens when some scientific nutcracker takes some sick animal then takes that virus and shoots it up into humans bypassing their immune system?

Why do we have increased cancer rates, autism rates.
Where did it all start?

I say its from all the scientists messing around after they invented the syringe.
I wonder if they're doing more harm than good sometimes.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 25 April 2021 12:04:33 AM
I agree with ttbn, did I say that, yes I did, its a no-brainer, zoos are not just good for human learning and appreciation, there is also the valuable work zoos and most private animal parks do for conservation. Living in Brisbane I miss not having a city zoo, Taronga Park Zoo was the best value day out you could get in Sydney. I must make a trip up to the Steve Irwin Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast

Hassy Sir Edward Hallstrom the manufacturer of 'Silent Knight' refrigerators, gave the wonders of refrigeration to country folk in places where electricity was not available, they were kerosene powered of all things. We had one such fridge in my early years growing up on the grandparents property out west near Wellington. Not large capacity by today's standards but very practical for their day. see I'm actually a bushy.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 25 April 2021 5:42:04 AM
Hi Nathan,

Are zoos good for the animals?

There are good zoos and bad zoos.

Not all zoos are equal, not all are clean and well staffed.
Not all zoos have the resources to properly care for the
animals they house. In those cases there's no justification
in keeping animals captive because their captivity can be
horrific for both their physical and psychological health.

Zooz or Zoological Parks are supposed to educate the
public about wild life and what we can do to protect them.
Good zoos contribute to scientific research after all
zoology is the study of animal biology and behaviour.

So in answer to your question - as zoos good for the
animals? Good zoos can be. And they can contribute a
great deal both in education, scientific research
and the saving of lives. Bad zoos - no. No justification
for keeping animals locked up and suffering.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 25 April 2021 8:09:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy