The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The reason for the holiday season

The reason for the holiday season

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. All
"Most kids wouldn't know what a crucifiction was.
That's so yesterday."

Well it was making a come back in the Middle East a few years ago with ISIS. If you google for ISIS and crucifixion it will return quite a few results. I definitely wouldn't recommend searching for it if you find graphic images of people dying distressing. These are the sort of images/videos that kids/teenagers can easily access these days with the internet.
Posted by thinkabit, Sunday, 4 April 2021 8:58:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks mhaze for the YouTube link, things have got a bit ahead of themselves here with discussion of Easter Egg Day, but that's this forum, lots of free wheeling.

The YouTube of Gary Habermas, who appears to be an Evangelical Christian, let me say there is nothing wrong with Evangelicals, our PM is one. People who take such a literal approach to the Bible as being a history book of facts I believe are missing the true purpose of the teachings contained therein. Habermas tries to justify the gospels as being historically accurate by pointing to ancient written accounts of people such as Alexander the Great and the Roman Emperor Tiberius by historians well after their deaths, sometimes hundred of years after. Habermas goes on to compare the time after of gospel writing in relation to Jesus's life on Earth, say 40 to 80 years after his death, and the time lapse between the life of historical figures and the written accounts of their existence. I don't see that as proof of anything.

In modern times some "historians" have written totally inaccurate accounts of events because they have a political and philosophical agenda to push. Writings on the 'Holocaust' are a good example, the far right "historian" David Irving has written totally inaccurate Holocaust accounts because of his bias, yet he has written very close to the event and claimed historical accuracy. Should people a couple of thousand years from now pick up a Irving Holocaust account, should they accept it as gospel because it was written close to the even, I think not. The same can be applied to the non historical gospels.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 5 April 2021 5:49:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405,

David Irving is not a historian.

If Irving can be labelled a historian then everyone in the world can be labelled a historian.

His sort of "history" is the sort of story-telling that appeals to the Old Farts and Usual Suspects among The Forum's participants.

Combine that with some good old fashioned LNP deviancy such as rapes, masturbations and 'lying cows' and they think they have it made.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 5 April 2021 7:01:10 AM
My grandkids were Baptized into the Catholic Church
and I do try to read age appropriate religious stories
to them however I don't like to interfere too much
with their parents. I would like them to have the
old traditions passed on but I don't always succeed.

Still they're good kids and I will keep on trying
as best as I can. As Armchair Critic and Ttbn pointed
out - they will eventually make up their own minds -
but that does not mean that we shouldn't lay a foundation
for them - some of it will rub off - and it's better
than doing nothing. Values are important as is our
culture.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 5 April 2021 7:44:35 AM
Foxy,

You have done enough sociology to know that religion belongs to traditional society and it is being replaced by science and rational institutionalisation in modernity as people discard their traditional beliefs.

It's only the Old Farts, Usual Suspects and LNP deviants who are ignorant of the post-traditional world. They still think rape, public masturbation and calling women 'lying cows' are a normal part of life.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 5 April 2021 8:36:10 AM
Mr O,

Normal people don't destroy. And accountability and
ethics is very much a part of the world in which
normal people live.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 5 April 2021 8:45:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11