The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Eating Kangaroo

Eating Kangaroo

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Being serious Issy

You commoner you.

I've always coveted Emu.

Emus are so ugly Greenies and Animal welfare groups (AniLoops) couldn't care less.

Just one Emu at Woolies could roast on an industrial scale, much cheaper than chickens.

A leg of Emu would last me a month! Yummy.

Check it out http://emulogic.com.au/pages/about-us

PRINCE Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 5 February 2021 11:38:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We found a roo with a broken hip down the paddock. Ran into a gate post I think. Rang the wild life welfare people whop offered to come & put it down. We could do that so told them not to bother.

Not wanting to waste all that meat, we offered some to the dogs, who turned their noses up & walked away. Raw or cooked, the dogs didn't like roo any more than I do.

I guess I'd eat it if I was hungry enough, as we all will be if China decides to cut off our supply of petroleum fuels, but without such an incentive, they are safe from me, & my dogs.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 5 February 2021 12:02:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen,

The trick is in the preparation and cooking.

My mum used to slice the meat about a 1/4 inch thick, make a paste of tomato, onion, a bit of garlic in Worcestershire sauce; spread between each slice, bind the whole lot together a la a roast and cook slowly for a couple of hours.

Mouthwatering.

Legs, she slashed to the bone every inch, marinaded overnight in a red wine based mixture and cooked in a slow oven for around three hours (depending on size0.

Can't be beaten!!
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 5 February 2021 9:15:06 PM
Hi Issy,

Is it in the book? Sounds yummy! I see no problem with eating Roo, the early British invaders were reduced to trying to eat Galahs.

BTW, are you too embarrassed to make comment on the 'Gel Blaster' clowns, if I was a responsible gun owner I would be. You and I might differ about guns, but I recognise you as a responsible gun owner. Fair dinkum, there is one of these jelly shops not far from me, it opened up about 2 years back. Its become a sort of meeting place for these clowns, grown men dressed like GI Joe, leaning up against beat up mud splattered old cars. They've obviously been flogging around in the bush playing Rambo. Same goes for the 'paint ball' nonsense. I commented on the greenie possum person, so tit for tat, you comment on the jelly people.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 6 February 2021 5:51:47 AM
Fellow Royal Brave Sir Issy

Tonto say "You speakum truth, King Osobi, umm, matelot."

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/02/01/parrot-pie-and-possum-curry-how-colonial-australians-embraced-native-food

PARROT PIE, POSSUM CURRY and KANGAROO

how colonial Australians embraced native food"

"Kangaroo and wombat appeared in Australia's first cookbook - but appreciation wasn't universal.

...In a section dedicated to game meats, Abbott featured recipes for KANGAROO

emu, wombat and other native fauna. There were a number of recipes for “kangaroo steamer”, a dish that had been popular for at least almost half a century across the colonies.

Kangaroo steamer was a colonial adaptation of the traditional British dish of jugged hare and involved slowly cooking kangaroo meat with bacon and other seasonings. The dish would be cooked in a glass jar or earthenware vessel and sealed so it could be stored for an extended period."

Your Good Lord

Planta
Posted by plantagenet, Saturday, 6 February 2021 9:08:55 AM
Howdy ho Pete,

Are you related to Jed Clampett by any chance? Granny could knock up a mean possum stew, with grits and racoon gravy. I remember Jethro Bodine from school, he was that smart kid sitting in front of me.

Howdy ho Issy,

Where's your answer to my jelly question!
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 8 February 2021 10:07:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy