The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Global warming truth.

Global warming truth.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. ...
  14. 26
  15. 27
  16. 28
  17. All
Bazz,
Your assumption of a bigger turbine was due to poor comprehension on your part. I'm referring to the effects of a bigger generator on the same size turbine.

Now, as regards global warming:
>The "settled" theory is that it is ALL caused by CO2.
Not exactly.

Firstly, CO2 is not the only greenhouse gas. But its relative abundance makes it the most significant... apart water vapour, which mainly acts as a feedback mechanism because the amount the atmosphere holds depends mainly on temperature.

Secondly, it is know that there are other factors at work. There are changes in solar radiation and changes in albedo. Changes in solar activity affect cloud formation (which is significant both because of albedo and of water vapour concentration). But the effects are relatively small - they are currently being swamped by the effect of increased CO2.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hasbeen,
Are you really so stupid that you don't know the difference between what is currently being done and what can be done?
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 23 October 2020 1:30:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aiden, a bigger turbine needs a bigger push, otherwise there is no point to having it.
All energy comes from the blades. You can only get what the blades produce.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 23 October 2020 2:57:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is this: Tradesmen's Corner?

We've got Bazz, Squadron Leader West & Aidan talking nuts & bolts about machines to each other totally oblivious to the fact that not one except them cares about tradies' stuff.

Next thing you they'll be telling each other how to fix fridges and replace an axle.

These engineers .......... don't you just love them though?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 23 October 2020 3:07:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Hasbeen,

Don't be idiotic.

Whether a power station is fully paid for by the taxpaying community and it stays in government hands or it is partially paid for and it is in private hands we still subsidise both out of our pockets.

The distinction you are attempting to draw is in name only.

Anyway half your arguments about the effectiveness of various strategies to reduce emissions seem to be based on the premise we have a warming planet. Yet overtly you haven't accepted this fact instead often claiming it is cooling instead.

Could I ask you give even the smallest regard for consistency on this issue. Or perhaps your position has evolved to a degree or two as the case may be.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 23 October 2020 4:27:19 PM
Bazz,
>Aiden, a bigger turbine needs a bigger push, otherwise there is no point to having it.
And it gets bigger push when it's very windy.

Alternatively you can look at it the other way round: you could use a lower capacity generator with the same size blades; that would give you a higher capacity factor and a lower maximum output.

Do you get it yet? Cost effectiveness is the objective, not meeting some figure for nameplate capacity or capacity factor.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Mr 0,
I'm not a tradesman, I'm a professional engineer.
I don't know, nor do I wish to know, how to fix a fridge or replace an axle.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 23 October 2020 5:57:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan,

I regard engineers as tradesmen.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 23 October 2020 6:28:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16