The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is Life?

What is Life?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 20
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. Page 23
  10. 24
  11. 25
  12. 26
  13. ...
  14. 31
  15. 32
  16. 33
  17. All
As we've just seen, eating stuff is only one facet to the meaning of life. I find this facet more interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzVHjg3AqIQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDBjsFAyiwA

Especially the French ticklers
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 23 May 2020 8:23:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Opinion.

You've asked for a religous explaination. Somehow thinking this will be a debate. I've told you how parts of the bible and observations about the world (and about science) coincide and contribute to one another. Now I'll go past that and allow biblical answers to speak for themselves.

In Mathew Jesus fasts for 40 days, and near the end of that fast, He is tempted by Satan. In that chapter Jesus replies to the first temptation be quoting Deuteromony 8:3. "Man shall not live by bread alone, but from every word that comes from God."

This is two part on the subject of life being feeders.

1) It's not about being a feeder when you consider fasting. Amazingly studies have showing some health benefits to fasting. Including helping against diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's, diabetes; potentially increasing your lifespan, and helping reduce weight without losing muscle mass. This site shows 10 benefits from intermittent fasting that have been studied.
http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting#section6

This second site shows there's still some controversy on some of the benifits of fasting, however on other elements the webmd article seems to agree that there are uncontested benefits of fasting. There are some people that are recommended to not fast though, which the article covers at the end.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/is_fasting_healthy#4

2) The second thing is that according to at least Christianity (I can't sleek for other religions) these verses give the point that we live by God's word, and that both relying on God, as well and following His teachings and His commands are part of the point of being human.

Take what you want from this information. But at least from a Christian perspective. Life is not about feeding. Fasting can be healthy with several medical benefits, backed by scientific studies. But also fasting has a reputation of being practiced by most religions across the world, for thousands of years. There is likely a reason for this. One of those articles I referenced that it's likely that mankind is made to fast.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Sunday, 24 May 2020 2:05:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Not_Now.Soon,

Commenting on the theory of Democritus that “everything in the universe is the fruit of chance and necessity” (chance meaning a “random variable” and necessity an “inevitable” event) you ask :

« Do you have any examples or theories of an inevitable event? I think that is possibly the strongest point for life occurring without God, but I don't think it's looked into as much. Is there anything that we can determine is inevitable? »

Apart from abiogenesis, the theory of the spontaneous chemical reaction of non-living matter that is posited to have produced the first living cells, there is, of course, at the other end of the spectrum, death, which, in the present state of our scientific knowledge, is an inevitable event.

How chemical evolution led to the appearance of self-replicating polynucleotides has not been determined, but significant progress has been made. Future scientific production of artificial life forms is not to be excluded.

In a similar vein, various so-called non-compatible chemical substances react spontaneously and inevitably when they come into contact with each other, e.g., contact between vinegar and baking soda will inevitably cause an explosion. Here are some more examples :

http://www.thoughtco.com/dangerous-chemical-incompatibilities-602404

There are numerous other examples in nature such as the cycles of day and night, the seasons, the climate, gravity, ageing, cosmic evolution, etc.

Also, much of what we do not do (but should) and much of what we do (but shouldn’t) have consequences that are inevitable events.

We may ask if the current Coronavirus pandemic was the result of a chain of spontaneous reactions that was triggered by an inevitable event. Even if, theoretically, its emergence could have been avoided, it was not. It became an inevitable event.

If scientists succeed in creating life from non-living matter, Democritus’ theory that “everything in the universe is the fruit of chance and necessity” will have acquired solid credibility.

But don’t worry, NNS, the god hypothesis will still survive. It’s solidly entrenched in the minds of the faithful.

It will exist as long as mankind exists :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=aVZEQ-44K_Q

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Sunday, 24 May 2020 7:09:41 AM
Not_Now.Soon,

It looks like you have really lost the plot.

The only evidence or theoretical basis you can put forward for a religious view of Life (the entity) is that you have an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-caring God who turns nothingness into something.

Your argument is insupportable simply because nothing is nothing and nothing cannot be made into something.

Your God is like Bullwinkle from the 'Rocky and Bullwinkle' show: "Watch me pull a Something out of my hat. Oops! Wrong hat!"

If I was you I would find a cosy little church somewhere on the edge of the world and lock myself up for LIFE.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 24 May 2020 10:05:00 AM
//If I was you I would find a cosy little church somewhere on the edge of the world//

The edge of the world? Look out people, we have a flat-Earther amongst us.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 24 May 2020 10:19:31 AM
FINAL SCORE: Science 1 / Religion 0
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 24 May 2020 4:51:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 20
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. Page 23
  10. 24
  11. 25
  12. 26