The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is Life?

What is Life?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. 25
  13. ...
  14. 31
  15. 32
  16. 33
  17. All
Foxy,

Thanks, it covers my areas of interest.

I like my idea of seeing all life as a feeder. I think I should give it a scientific name. How does 'Fred' sound?

I like Tony Lavis' comment at p.20: Ergo sum edo. Move aside Descartes, Tony is now the new father of epistemology.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 23 May 2020 2:51:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'What I am saying is that the role of Life is to feed'

If you don't mind me asking Mr O are you obese? You seem more obsessed with eating then what seems normal.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 23 May 2020 3:16:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Ergo sum edo.//

Nope, you've left a bit out. I'm pretty sure what you were trying to say was something along the lines of (excusing my poor grammar) 'edo ergo sum obesum' (you eat therefore you're a big fatty-boombah with more rolls than a Vietnamese bakery).

If it's the meaning of life you're after: in the Latin, XLII ergo sum. QED.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 23 May 2020 4:05:52 PM
Mr Opinion- Defining life as feeders is an interesting perspective and covers many of life's attributes. The tree of life can be seen as containing three groups of lifeforms- Plants that consume light, nutrients, water; prokaryotic and eukaryotic cellular organisms that eat other organisms; organisms that eat chemicals like sulphur. As Mr Opinion has said all of life need an energy source. Yes this seems to be a legitimate basic lense through which to understand the deeper meaning of what life is- and from a scientific point of view it's often good to start with a basic assumption and work upwards from there.

Perhaps it is a little basic to define holistic "human life" but it's a good start to the question was "What is life?"
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 23 May 2020 5:38:54 PM
Canem Malum,

It is one way of looking at what Life is and what Life is doing in the Universe.

The answer to the meaning of Life could be as simple as Life is all about eating stuff.

It might even turn out that the Universe itself is a feeder, with all of its bits and pieces gobbling up each other. Black holes might just be big galactic feeders.

Might make a good movie too. ALIEN: Feeders That Came To Earth.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 23 May 2020 6:09:51 PM
//The answer to the meaning of Life could be as simple as Life is all about eating stuff.//

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbHTjMLN5c
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 23 May 2020 7:49:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. 25